Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Ilmarinen

A question about block breaking time/Trading system

18 posts in this topic

Hello.

I'm thinking over a good trading system for the server i'm playing on, and I decided to base the item's cost on it's obtaining difficulty.

So the question is, where can I find the information about block breaking time including different tool efficiency? I tried to google it, but found nothing.

Also, if you have some experience building economy in terrafirma or vanilla, or you just know something useful about it, please tell me, I'm really interested.

You'd probably need to look through the code to find all that info. github.com/deadrik/tfcraft

There isn't any information out there regarding actual time it takes to break anything. There are hardness values we have associated with blocks, but you can't really cleanly convert that to seconds. There's also the fact that tool efficiency isn't strictly tier based either. A player with a high enough smithing skill can make a bronze pickaxe that is faster than a steel one.

So I don't have any other choice than looking throught code to find hardness values?

Will i be able to calculate the breaking time for all other blocks having their hardness values and a breaking time for one block?

sorry if my english isn't very good, i'm not native

If I understand your logic is about how long does it take to break a block so you can set prices in the market dependent on that right?

As a server owner I can tell you that this is not the way to go.

In my server we do not allow teleport, so distance to the market plays a big role in the value of rocks and raw stone.

If you have teleport, them it would be about rarity, but only untill people know where the rock types are.

The bottom line is that the time it takes to break a rock block varies a lot depending on the type of tool used and the smith that made the tool.

Even without such considerations, the time variations are so small that they are considered not important by most players. We do not value a rock time more or less because of how long does it take to break it.

The value is more of a personal taste or aesthetic appearance. So if I am building something and want basalt and there is none around I will trade for it with another player or town. 

Calculating block break time is a pain in the ass. I know I got the formula from the MC wiki and applied it to TFC blocks in the past, but it is annoying. There is fairly standard break times across blocks. So all wood planks are the same. All dirt. All gravel. I'm unsure if all stone is the same or if there is some variations between the rock categories.

The only place for the actual hardness values is the code. The majority of them are in one place I believe. Check in the API in the TFCblocks and TFC items. I can't easily check myself ATM. The base efficiency of the tool is linked to the base durability of the material.

I'm not quite sure what you need this information for, but just looking at hardness should give you their relative order.

Ok, looks like it's not a good idea. It won't really work, and it will be hard to do.

Thanks for all replies, i think the topic can be closed.

I'd say that distance from market is a very large factor in the "obtaining difficulty".

Why not simply let your players decide on their own prices for their merchandise - the market will soon sort out if the price is too high :)  

'Market Forces ecomomy"

This is unless you're planning on players buying materials from 'the server' of course :)

Don't like the idea of players buying everything from the server market, it defies the whole idea for tfc. If something can be obtainable in the world by legit way players  should do it or trade between themselves. 

Our vanilla server uses a free market economy.  Players set prices, except for gold, which is bought by our central bank at a fixed rate.  It's worked beautifully over the last 2 years. This is using a dollar currency though.  For TFC, we use ingots as the standard currency.  IE, 4 copper = 1 iron, etc. 

How do you make so players can set prices?

We have markets in our servers but prices are always a issue.

Don't like the idea of players buying everything from the server market, it defies the whole idea for tfc. If something can be obtainable in the world by legit way players  should do it or trade between themselves. 

I didn't say I *like*  the idea of players buying from the "server market" - just pointed out that perhaps there is a better way to work with players setting their own prices.  I'm just as anti-"server market" as you are.

did not meant like that, my emphasis was on the everything. Server markets can be useful to promote trade, as long as they only sell items that cannot be obteneid by legit ways, because those are the items that other players and towns will have for sale/trade.

Friends?

How do you make so players can set prices?

We have markets in our servers but prices are always a issue.

We use Better Shops with an economy plugin.  Each player has their own shop.  

We use the Merchants addon so players are able to create their own Markets as well. Is just the economy part that gets complicated.

We use the Merchants addon so players are able to create their own Markets as well. Is just the economy part that gets complicated.

Yeah it does.  ^_^

One of our admins does a regular assessment and we make adjustments to keep inflation down on the Vanilla MC server.  Kind of like the Federal Reserve.

We're also using the Merchants addon for the TFC server.  I think if we add a currency, it will be the Merchants coinage instead of a virtual currency.  Better for roleplay, I think. 

On the last map before we were buying cobble, it worked to some extent, as it was something that every town was able to get, but I noticed that instead of building things people were just selling all the cobble to the market and digging ugly quarries all over.

This time we are trying different solutions so we actually promote road and general building.