Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Teagan75

Expanded Masonry

8 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

It would be nice to expand on the masonry part of the game.

1. In order to make cobblestone an actual building material for walls and such, a recipe to mix the rocks with mortar to strengthen it. 

2. Remove the ability to carve bricks using a chisel. Bricks would be made by crushing the rock into a powder with a hammer or quern, mixing it with the mortar and placing it in molds.

3. The ability to make a variety of new bricks by mixing rock powders and mortar.

4. Using the chisel (if it gets in to TFC2) to make a variety of sloped roof pieces. If no chisel then it could just be a recipe.

5. If basic automation gets written in to TFC2, then a mechanical crusher/grinder to make the powder and a mixer to mass produce bricks for building.

6. I would also like to see the powder kegs used to blast out large amounts of rock without destroying it and giving bigger returns so we can mass produce bricks.

Of course, I know nothing about coding and how this can or cannot be implemented :)

Edited by Teagan75

2. Remove the ability to carve bricks using a chisel. Bricks would be made by crushing the rock into a powder with a hammer or quern, mixing it with the mortar and placing it in molds.

3. The ability to make a variety of new bricks by mixing rock powders and mortar.

If we're going to more realism, it would be more accurate to have bricks just made from plain clay.  Being able to glaze them with powders would be cool, though I think perhaps best for glazed roof tiles.  It'd be great if there was different clay for each rock biome, just like there is different dirt.  Thereby providing a variety of brick colors.  But that's probably more effort than the devs would want to spend.   There'd probably also need to be a brick oven.  Fire bricks are bad enough, I can't imagine trying to pit kiln enough normal bricks to make a large building.

The thing that bugs me most about current bricks is their size.  They're not brick sized, they're half a meter tall.  irl there'd be around 13 courses of brick in a meter.  Obviously a 16x16 texture won't allow for that.  The fire brick block is a good depiction of brick though, having four courses.   The current 2 course pattern could be kept, and called ashlar, which would be accurate.  And in fact chiseling would be an accurate way to produce ashlar blocks.

If we're going to more realism, it would be more accurate to have bricks just made from plain clay.  Being able to glaze them with powders would be cool, though I think perhaps best for glazed roof tiles.  It'd be great if there was different clay for each rock biome, just like there is different dirt.  Thereby providing a variety of brick colors.  But that's probably more effort than the devs would want to spend.   There'd probably also need to be a brick oven.  Fire bricks are bad enough, I can't imagine trying to pit kiln enough normal bricks to make a large building.

The thing that bugs me most about current bricks is their size.  They're not brick sized, they're half a meter tall.  irl there'd be around 13 courses of brick in a meter.  Obviously a 16x16 texture won't allow for that.  The fire brick block is a good depiction of brick though, having four courses.   The current 2 course pattern could be kept, and called ashlar, which would be accurate.  And in fact chiseling would be an accurate way to produce ashlar blocks.

Yeah I was trying to suggest something that may not take too much time to code but offer an expansion of the masonry mechanic in game.

Love the idea of improving masonry. 

Specially like the idea of using mortar for cobble and be able to use on constructions as a non gravity block.

As we have different dirt, gravel and sand colors depending on the rock layers we could also have different clay colors.

One of the things I miss in TFC is clay bricks and Clay tiles, especially for roofs and fireplaces.

Not sure if I like the idea of crushing stones, as in real life we do use chisels to make stone bricks.

The size is an issue, but maybe is just a question of texture? there is not much we can do about the fact that it uses a full block, unless we want it to behave like a carpet with a 1/8 texture. but that would prevent us from placing blocks on top. Now I am not sure if you talking about the size of the block or the size of each brick inside the block when placed in the world.

Love the idea of improving masonry. 

Specially like the idea of using mortar for cobble and be able to use on constructions as a non gravity block.

As we have different dirt, gravel and sand colors depending on the rock layers we could also have different clay colors.

One of the things I miss in TFC is clay bricks and Clay tiles, especially for roofs and fireplaces.

Not sure if I like the idea of crushing stones, as in real life we do use chisels to make stone bricks.

The size is an issue, but maybe is just a question of texture? there is not much we can do about the fact that it uses a full block, unless we want it to behave like a carpet with a 1/8 texture. but that would prevent us from placing blocks on top. Now I am not sure if you talking about the size of the block or the size of each brick inside the block when placed in the world.

Crushing was just a way to mix different basic stone to achieve a new stone brick style but differing clay for a variety of clay bricks would achieve that as well. If it is the texture of the brick within the block that has been done before. Chiseling has always given us the option to resize that  block anyways. I was trying to think of new ideas if the chisel never makes it in to TFC2.

Another idea would be to make stronger blast resistant blocks using cement. Recipe could use a gravel and sand mixture.

Edited by Teagan75

I'd like the ability to make vanilla style bricks (ie small brick texture) from clay. Only having fire clay be able to make bricks was irritating, what with the expense.

However, stone bricks have existed and do exist. They should, however, have a separate texture to the clay bricks, being as they are now with the larger bricks instead of a lot of smaller ones on the block.

If you were asking me, my concern is merely the texture.  Building a brick block 1/8 layer at a time is definitely not something I'm asking for.  I'd just like regular brick blocks with the same general texture as fire brick blocks.

Thanks Darmo. I try on my servers to have vanilla bricks available on the server market, because I really love the texture and think is something missing in tfc. I really share the feeling.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0