Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
JDVcrafter

Piles

9 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

Bricks:

Forming piles just like ingots, not much changes.

Dirt and related blocks:​

Stacking like logs in piles created by shift-right-clicking with a dirt-related block or clay ball, and holds 16 total gravel, sand or dirt blocks and clay balls per pile. Dirt piles would have a common texture regardless of contents, like log piles.

Stones:​

Rocks form piles like the aforementioned dirt blocks.

Sticks​:

Forming piles like a log pile, holding up to 32 sticks per pile, with a new stick pile texture.

Edited by JDVcrafter

This isn't a new mechanic... I thought you were going to say something like how the sticks and stones used to be on the ground, you can put things on the ground that way. Like dropping something and then shift+right clicking on it to put something on the ground and being able to put up to 10 of that item in the pile. That way it isn't overpowered and it just forms junk everywhere and you can't find anything.

An expansion on this idea. A world where all things thrown on ground aren't simply eaten by the void. When items are thrown to the ground they turn into piles. All piles have layers like charcoal, each able to hold a stack. These layers will spread out and obey gravity like sand. Piles in their first stage can be right clicked and it'll remove the top layer and pop up the first item on the stack. Piles can also be broken, and even mobs will dig right through them. Items in piles will rot and take durability damage over time that is accelerated when next to water or in a moist environment. You have different two different pile categories Organic and non-organic.

All organic piles will eventually turn into rotten piles. Rotten piles if broken, right clicked enough, or left alone will have a chance of turning into fertile dirt or disappearing. Fertile dirt if right clicked or broken will give you a hand full of fertile dirt that can be used in the garden. If you or mobs walk across fertile dirt it'll turn into dust. Dust if stepped on, broken, or right clicked will disappear.

non-organic piles never progress past the first stage. Items still take durability damage while in them and simply disappear or become broken. If the pile contains weapons or armor and is broken by a mob it'll be able to pick up the items and use them if able so be aware where you store your stuff.

The benefits of piles is you don't have tons of entities on the ground ticking away until they despawn. Another benefit of piles is that it can be used in adventure mode to create and over come obstacles while not stopping enemies. A pile of rocks could block a passage a player has to go through forcing the player to clear enough of it away for them to get through. This could force the player to defeat all the mobs in the room before they can safely clear it away. Players could also use piles to get over obstacles that have fallen in the way or to replace stairs that have rotten away. Because mobs can break through piles you don't have to worry about players using it to hold off mobs permanently yet they could still use it to buy themselves time. You also don't have to worry about it blocking players in adventure mode because they can right click to clear it away and relocate it.

Edited by Stroam

Interesting ideas.  My question on your idea @Stroam would be how do you handle the turning into piles?  By that I mean, is there like, a 5 or 10 second delay between something being thrown on the grown, and turning into a pile? 1 minute?  I'd assume to get the savings on ticks you'd want it sooner rather than later.    If mobs and players can break the piles, you presumably don't want them instantly turning back into piles again.  You'd need to give time for the player/mob to move through or do whatever, ya? 

I like the compost idea, and it'd be great if the organic piles generated miasm....stench, or something, which would maybe accelerate the player's hunger drain, or make them unable to eat for 12 hours, or something like that.  That would basically incentivize the player to make organic garbage pits, so they could toss the food down inside, without being exposed to the stench.

As for blocking paths, I'm not sure how it's better than just using actual cobble blocks or whatever.  If the debris pile takes longer than a cobble or brick block to break, the player will probably just go around the pile through the normal blocks.

On bricks specifically, I don't think making it be like ingot piles is really necessary, vs the work it would likely take.  I'd say just one large unchanging block, just like log piles.  But, I do hope that log and all other piles do not float in air this time, but instead behave like ingot piles did in TFC1, collapsing if they have no base support.  And Btw you might as well add a haybale block for straw.

I'd go on about specialized containers (vault for ingots, bins/wagons for ore) but that might be a bit off topic.

@Darmo

We are talking around 5 to 15 seconds. As for mobs, I really don't want piles to slow them down hardly at all and the exact mechanics is going to based what's easiest to code so couldn't say at this point. 

I think nauseating fumes coming off of rotten piles of carcasses would definitely add an element of  immersion. You could have a boss room with these piles laying around causing nausea  making it harder to fight.

The advantage of piles for blocking paths is you can unblock them in adventure mode which you can't do with other blocks because you can't break blocks.

The great thing about piles is they are not specific. You can mix ingots, bricks, and weapons in the same pile. For specific piles I'd add a third type of pile called a stacked pile. These piles would be item specific would not spread. Instead of items tossed on the ground you'd have to right click an item down just like ingots and wood piles in TFC 1.

Now piles are not containers in the sense you can move them around like barrels and chests(sadly you can't move around chests of items either). In fact you can't even get an item at the bottom of a pile without going through the items on top of it. Also because items take damage while in piles you don't want to store tools, weapons, or armor in piles long term. You also don't want to store wood, hay, food, and other organics long term in piles either as they will eventually rot though this may take a very very long time in a place with low humidity like a desert or snow island. They are great if you have a bunch of rocks, bricks, or stuff without durability you want to store without making and packing them away in a warehouse of chests.

@ciekma

I think that's a great idea. I rather like how things work in the mod from what I read on explosions

Edited by Stroam

By the way, homogenous piles of certain food, for example potatoes, should decrease decay rate. Or even can be used for items conversion (cabbage to kimchi etc)

3 hours ago, ciekma said:

By the way, homogenous piles of certain food, for example potatoes, should decrease decay rate. Or even can be used for items conversion (cabbage to kimchi etc)

Wouldn't fermentation be better handled via large vessels and barrels?  And while storing potatoes in piles might be fine in terms of realism, it complicates the code and most importantly, shortcuts any kind of prep-work required on the player's behalf.  I think it's better for gameplay to require the player to do at least a little work to preserve their food, regardless of what's 'realistic' for a certain type.

I think any behaviors outside of organic and inorganic should be a third type of pile called placed pile. A placed pile would would be specific to the item placed and would require purposely right clicking the item to place it down or some other method. Because placed piles would be specific to one type of item you would not be able to place any other item in that pile and would behavior different for each programmed type of pile. I agree with with Darmo that purposeful food fermentation should be handled in a container like a barrel, jar, pot, etc.