Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ciekma

Some question from new user

19 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm new TFC user,

albeit I made some forum research, I have still question which maybe are already answered,

therefore I started in off topic section. Please, forgive me my bad English language and possibly duplicated questions.

I read about issues with Nether, bu I'm not sure, how is a Nether state of art in the actual TFC version?

I created portal at 110, got exit above bedrock (probably due to large cluster of netherrack below),

but basically everything seems to be work ok, or even better (I can place water from blue steel bucket).

[bTW, placing portals above bedrock is a cheating - one can make safe, fast and easy transportation system - is it possible to prevent such abuse?]

Why I need to go to Nether?

Two reasons - one is challenge, because over-world mobs are very weak (maybe except spider and bear *), I can survive combat even without any armor, equipped only with bronze sword/mace.

Secondly, I need some nether items **) for some other mods, for example Railcraft, Rotarycraft etc.

Of course, I can use MineTweaker (which need to be used otherwise) and make recipients based on TFC resources,

for example crushing Pitchblende to get Glowstone Dust, or heating limonite powder to obtain  Blaze Powder

(it is not possible to use TFC recipes for MineTweaker, but I can reuse standard furnace*** adding iron grate to its recipe).

Another idea is to spawn nether mobs in overworld, in deeply located dungeons, I tried Advanced Spawn Control 0.9.1 but it is not compatible (game crashed).

Some other questions:

* is bear tameable if fed with fishes, before it ate me?

** are slimeballs obtainable?

*** is it possible to produce bricks from clay, without standard mc furnace?

Best regards,

Maciej

Trying ot answer questions - to the best of my knowledge.

Nether is an issue - it is not catered for in standard TFC.

Nether mobs will probably have vanilla hit points and do vanilla damage so they'll be MUCH easier to kill, and MUCH less powerful than the "very weak" overworld mobs.

Bears are tameable with fish - but you  cannot breed them.  They are, however *very* quick and hurt a LOT when they bite :)

I do not believe that slimeballs are obtainable in the base TFC mod, but there are addon mods that exist that have recipes for some of the things slime balls are used for (e.g. sticky pistons).

TFC bricks can be made by using a chisel on a rock, then when you combine them in your crafting grid with mortar they form bricks.

Ithere are mud bricks in the Decorations addon (if I recall correctly) which are made from clay, dirt and straw.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanks for the reply.

Nether mobs will probably have vanilla hit points and do vanilla damage so they'll be MUCH easier to kill, and MUCH less powerful than the "very weak" overworld mobs.

I do not believe that slimeballs are obtainable in the base TFC mod, but there are addon mods that exist that have recipes for some of the things slime balls are used for (e.g. sticky pistons).

There are already TFC Nether monsters - you can check it in creative mode, there are different (duplicated) spawn egs, and those latter have TFC strength.

Unfortunately, portal always lead to the top berock, but thanks to creative mode, I lurked into Nether - there are standard overworld creatures -creppers etc.

Not sure, if those TFC Nether monsters are prepared for Nether, or are intended to spawn deeply underground?

I noticed also TFC Slimeball.

Is there any TFC compatible mod, which allow to define spawn of those monsters?

TFC bricks can be made by using a chisel on a rock, then when you combine them in your crafting grid with mortar they form bricks.

Ithere are mud bricks in the Decorations addon (if I recall correctly) which are made from clay, dirt and straw.

I know about chisel, but what about red standard minecraft brick (BTW, what is 'vanilla' stand for?).

Assume, that I will enable standard furnace (probably good idea to modify its recipe adding with iron grid, to disable it at the early stages).

Does it disturb TFC gameplay in any terms? I checked quickly, that it is not possible to cook meal or smelt ores or even glass, only red bricks from clay, and coal coke from wood.

I know about chisel, but what about red standard minecraft brick (BTW, what is 'vanilla' stand for?).

Vanilla refers to either the base minecraft game, or the base TFC game.  In either case without mods (mostly meaning without mods that modify mobs and items and in-game stuff).  You kind of have to watch the context of the conversation to see whether people are talking about 'vanilla minecraft' or 'vanilla tfc'.  This derives basically from the notion that vanilla ice cream is your 'basic' ice cream.  Then you add toppings to it - chocolate, sprinkles caramel.  The vanilla game is the game without anything added to it.

The lack of red clay brick is an unfortunate lack of TFC.  Your best simulation is to find chert stone and make red bricks from it.  Unless you find SO much graphite that you want to build a building out of fire brick blocks, that is.

Any non-overworld dimension including the nether is not supported in TFC. We've made minimal changes for compatibility, but you strongly risk the chance of your game crashing and becoming corrupted if you visit other dimensions.

There are slimeballs and slimes in TFC. They use the exact same spawning mechanics as in vanilla Minecraft, in that they are only located in specific chunks, and they only spawn below Y = 40.

@Darmo, thanks for explaining etymology of vanilla phrase, it reminds me, when my wife drag me to expensive bakery, arguing, that they have above 60-ty ice cream flavours, and finally she ordered vanilla one :)

Clay brick are available for TFC, if vanilla furnace is enabled, either by TFC config or Minetweaker. I only wonder, if it is not messing something up.

@Kittychanley, thanks for your comprehensive reply. I will stick in overworld with nether components recipies tweaked to use TFC resources and/or try to spawn TFC-nether creatures in low parts of overworld by means of MobProperties mod (any spoilers, what I should put into json files, are appreciated) or command block.

Once more question: where to find sedimentary rock to produce flux? I checked some islands, and all rock near ground level are either andesite, basalt or chert,

where are calcium-rich any? Is it just bad spawn/seed of my map?

Once more question: where to find sedimentary rock to produce flux? I checked some islands, and all rock near ground level are either andesite, basalt or chert,

where are calcium-rich any? Is it just bad spawn/seed of my map?

Sedimentary rocks are *always* the top layer.  They never appear mid or bottom.  3 of the 4 flux rocks are sedimentary, so they're fairly easy to look for, at least.   The fourth flux stone - marble - can appear in the middle layer, so if you see malachite nuggets, but the top layer is not marble, then you know that there is a marble middle layer under you.   The flux ore - borax - generates in rock salt - also sedimentary.  Proximity of flux stone is just random.  World seed RNG.  You'll just have to wander till you find it.

Proximity of flux stone is just random.  World seed RNG.  You'll just have to wander till you find it.

Rather swimming. I generated many worlds and still there were islands, maybe it is due to the high sea level.

In currently played world I visited more than 10 islands, and still see only andesite, chert or dacite.

Maybe those sedimentary rock are buried under water? Or covered by solidified magma?

stone regions are vast - easily spanning 2000 blocks or more.  There's no way an entire region would be covered by magma.  Now, oceans can be even more vast - sometimes 8k blocks and more across.  How many worlds have you generated?  My own experience has been maybe 1 in 8 or so worlds starting me in a mostly water portion of the world - but rng is...well, random.  If you're finding nothing but archipelago, you just need to keep moving, or start a new world.

I don't understand idea behind 'waterworld style' generation - small archipelago surrounded by huge ocean - travelling across ocean is very tedious, especially due to retarded chunk generation.

If there were map storage purposes behind such approach, why ocean bed is such thick? And how to seek another archipelago (I know about 8000m rule, but in which direction)?

I have idea of another ocean biome - very deep ocean (so called 'abyssal plain'), with thin, single ground layer. In this case, standard 'deep ocean' would be generated around land (continental shelf) and indicate, that there is mainland nearby.

Still I did not found any flux source. It is very annoying bottleneck - no leather, no anvils...

At least, these stalagmites should drop some limestone rock.

I think you're expecting the world generation to be more realistic than it actually is. It's really nothing more than tweaked Minecraft procedural generation. A lot of times you just get unlucky and you spawn in an area of the world that's surrounded by ocean. In that exact same world there's probably large continents too, you just have to explore to find them.

The ocean bed is so thick because of the limitations of Minecraft. Because we are using the full 256 world height for generation, the absolute lowest the ocean water can generate is at Y = 128. There's really nothing TFC can do to make the oceans generate deeper, because it is just a Minecraft mod.

On 9.04.2016, 20:51:26, Kittychanley said:

The ocean bed is so thick because of the limitations of Minecraft. Because we are using the full 256 world height for generation, the absolute lowest the ocean water can generate is at Y = 128. There's really nothing TFC can do to make the oceans generate deeper, because it is just a Minecraft mod.

Thanks for explanation. By the way, such thick layer if rock doesn't seem to provide any qualitatively harder level in exploration, even with bronze pickaxe it is possible to dig hole down to bedrock.

I have no clue, how MC modding works in terms of terrain generation, but if is is technically possible, maybe you would consider (for TFC2 of course), to keep standard ground/ocean level but add some layers of water and lava, between top and medium rock layer? Additionally, sedimentary rock would be soft (easy to dig), metamorphic and extrusive hard, and intrusive very hard to break. Not sure how it is currently, but I didn't observed noticeable difference.

Back to flux theme - finally I discovered chalk island. Now flux bottleneck was uncorked, but I don't need leather armour anymore, when I can make copper one.

Real leather  liming process need any alkaline solvent, ancient methods commonly uses potash from ash instead of modern calcium hydroxide.

To consider for new version: fire pit produce ash in one of its slots, if leafy tree logs are burning, ash can be used for alkali bath for raw hide processing, as an alternative for flux solution. Surplus of ash must to be removed from fire pit, otherwise it would not burn if full stack of ash is collected. Other uses of ash are: fertiliser (only one nutrient) or glass production.

2 hours ago, ciekma said:

Thanks for explanation. By the way, such thick layer if rock doesn't seem to provide any qualitatively harder level in exploration, even with bronze pickaxe it is possible to dig hole down to bedrock.

The point of the thick rock layer wasn't to make exploration harder, quite the opposite actually. The point was to make it so that you could find a variety of different ores within a single vertical area. Each stone layer is thick enough to accommodate the massive size of the veins. Stacking those three layers on top of each other creates a situation where an area might have sedimentary, metamorphic and igneous stone all within the same chunk, and therefore there is a wide variety of different ores that can spawn at that location at the different depths.

Once more question: what EVT stands for?

Evapotranspiration, basically the opposite of rain.

But it is used for tree/crops growth modifier or something else?

High value means hot and arid climate?

EVT is just another part of climate, so determining where trees, berry bushes, peat, and animals are placed during world generation. It's also used in determining the current color of leaf blocks on trees. EVT is not used for any active modifiers like tree or crop growth. High value has nothing to do with temperature; you can have cold areas with high EVT values. All it does is counteract the rainfall value to determine the overall wetness of an area.

So say you've got a mild temperature area with high rainfall. If the area has high EVT, then you'll just end up with average moisture because the two cancel each other out. If the area has low EVT, then you've got a swamp-like climate.

20 hours ago, Kittychanley said:

If the area has high EVT, then you'll just end up with average moisture because the two cancel each other out. If the area has low EVT, then you've got a swamp-like climate.

Thanks for explanation, I tough that high EVT means low air moisture and high temperature and therefore fast water evaporation, but it is working in slightly opposite way - low air moisture is a result of high  EVT, not a reason.

Is there additional variable for air moisture, or just EVT is used for that? I'm asking, because I'm thinking about something like body temperature mod for TFC, I noticed some body temperature related functions already coded, but didn't spotted anything about temperature dissipation, which should be proportional to body hydratation and air moisture.

That's it. Rain, EVT and Temperature are all there is for anything climate-related. The body temperature code that is there is just what Dunk had started with, and never finished. It's not used anywhere at all.