Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tally

Houses

1 post in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No):  Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

I spent awhile thinking about this idea, but my thoughts are still somewhat disjointed, i also have trouble with run on sentances and grammer, so I hope you can understand what I am saying. I hope the ideas behind the words are clear enough.

& I was surprised that the list of suggestions already made did not specifically include houses and homes.

I think houses have a special significance in Minecraft. Everyone makes a safe place for sleep, for a decorative house to show off, a space for crafting and forging, for a underground base to hide, or a base away from home while mining, for a big spacious house to be their own, etc.
This idea was inspired by TFC lumber (I will try to avoid basing this upon what was in TFC1), you had a game piece that was smaller than the rest, and could be used in new ways. It was small but when tediously put together could be used to make interesting fences and walls. Because it's not really believable that houses are built with blocks of 1 metre thick walls and ceilings.
With the additions in Minecraft 1.8 there are more surface textures available, and more crafting aesthetic items, its opening up the possibility of building a real believable house.

Details:
I like the idea of a special 5x5 crafting grid, and this builds on it, I see it as a special block crafting table put down by the player; to build large house items like framing, wall panels, ceiling trusses, roofing, foundations, staircases, drywall, plaster, etc. This special block would be in addition to the 3x3 grid we are used to in inventory.  The special crafting block may have a timer on it so only 1 item can be crafted per 1 hour, or per 2 hour, etc.  Something to prevent the user from crafting an entire house in 10 minutes. This also adds to the difficulty and prestige to build the item; and the believability that a person cannot put together all their house in 1 hour even if all the material is at hand.  The crafting block could have built-in tool rack on the outside so you can store your tools on the rack that is on the block, and the crafting grid can use those tools without the player removing them to inventory then going into the grid.

So lets say for example, I use lumber to craft 10 wall panels and 4 roof pieces so I can build the frame of my house. I was reading the Sawmill thread about ideas for this. Then onto the frame I can add windows, or wall texture like drywall or stucco or hardwood floors or shingles.  Then onto the wall I can add curtains or rugs or picture frames or chandeliers.

I was also thinking about foundations. Such as having a house on a dirt foundation may become an unstable house after 2 years causing your house to collapse. Or a thunderstorm or other event could knock it down. So either the crafting grid can also make foundation blocks or new type of masonry tools can be used to put down stone or metal supports for building on.

Of course depending on what programming allows for, and I am no programmer, these things would probably be buggy because of how interconnected they are. But I hope that in some way the devs can find a creative way to improve our house options  :-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0