Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Shirolol

Bigger islands or big enough?

7 posts in this topic

Have you read, understood, and followed all of the rules listed in large text at the top of the suggestions forum?(Yes/No): Yes
Answering "no" to the above question will result in your post being deleted.

This is a question and a set of suggestions.

I don't know if this is relevant for TFC2, because I am assuming things will work the way they did in TFC1

I am not sure about the intention of the island size. I personally perceive it as too small in 95% of cases, because usually you spawn with an ocean in sight, most of the time (for me) the ores on the surface are not enough to create any alloy, oftentimes you can even stand on a hill and see the ocean to all sides around you, in like 40% of the cases and usually flux doesn't seem to be available, therefore no leather or progress in general.

Earth is about 30% land and 70% water I think. TFC seems to be around 1%/99%.

The question is, is it intentional that to get everything you need to make progress you need to visit several different islands?

I am still relatively new and my inability to find ores to make even simple alloys might be related to my distrust of caves and ravines in TFC, my lacking foraging skills and the fact that I have no real clue how to mine since any falling TFC block destroys ores and I doubt that you could find missing ores underground before your precious curved stick of progress breaks.

In fact I never even got to make any kind of anvil, because the sight of oceans and small islands in Minecraft has always been very depressing for me, I don't feel very motivated to play on a - in my opinion - tiny island with no land in sight in any direction.

It doesn't help that there are no immersive and efficient means of finding your way. The vanilla maps are way endgame - assuming you actually found reeds - and don't really help with finding your old home again, because for TFC oceans they are probably too small.

Leaving your home is always a hassle, because building a new one is pretty difficult in TFC and you have very limited capacity when travelling.

This leads to two sets of suggestions, all in one post because they are related.

1. Making us more likely to find what we need on our island. Like bigger islands, smaller oceans higher resource density? I have no idea which one would make most sense.

2. Better means of travel. I am sure there are plenty of suggestions about boats rafts and portable containers, so I will limit this to better maps.

I want to preface this first with the statement that not all worlds in TFC1 are islands. You've just gotten unlucky with your world seed. There are plenty of TFC1 worlds that are large continents thousands of blocks in each direction.

All of that is completely irrelevant though because TFC2 world gen is 100% different. You can read more about it here: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/topic/8601-regional-difficulty/

There are some other topics scattered about the TFC2 discussion and suggestion forum that talk about the new world generation as well if you go hunting.

My hunting skill is currently limited to "Stone Javelins don't work on bears"

Sorry for not looking too thorough then.

I have tried many, MANY worlds and I would classify 95% of them as islands. Considering my RNG luck it may be 80%, though.

When I make assumptions and suggestions about TFC2 right now I am mostly stirring in limewater anyway. I'll make better suggestions when it's out.

stone javelins *do* work on bears - they just aren't very effective :)

Bears are dangerous creatures - especially for beginning players.

We have recently started 3 new TFC maps on our servers. We had to re-generate two of those to end up with a map that we thought had sufficient land mass. So that's 3 out of 5 for us. But each of those 5 maps had large land masses which would be more than enough for a nice singleplayer map. The only thing is you have to travel to find land which may be difficult if you're just starting out in a new world.

Just keep trying, eventually you'll end up with a new world that has a spawn point on a big land mass. If you start a new world and open it to LAN with cheats enabled, you can quickly fly around to find a location that you think is suitable. Then simply close the LAN game and continue from there in survival mode.

Another thing worth pointing out to a new player having trouble finding a world they like - if you start in an area that has the dry-looking grass, not the bright green grass, be warry.  You are in a dry zone (less than 500 rainfall) and clay will *not* generate in a zone like that.  You have to have an area of green grass for clay to appear.  Without clay, you can't make any progression at all.  sometimes these dry zones are quite extensive.  So just be aware of that as well.

Check out the Seeds subforum.  Many of the posters included maps and or pictures along with the description.