Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
SkyClaw

Tips on moving cows

15 posts in this topic

Hello everybody i have a problem so : 

I am on a plains surface (surronded by water) whit rainfalls between 2000 and 4000.

So in this rainfall i can`t find cows and i can`t find terrains whit lower rain fall so i have to cross an huuuuge ocean.

My question is how can i take the cows after i cross that huge ocean to my home ? (i supose there will be around 5000 blocks so that is huge and animls into water dosent move as well as on terrain  )

2nd question : Is this a bug or what i went almost 15.000 block just into a deep ocean whitout even seeing one pice of land and after that my save is just crashing and made the map unplayable.

Suggestion : Make the god damn deep ocean smaller this is just some usless kind of memory usage and usless chunks.

So for now i will stop playing TFC just because of the deep ocean thing is so shi...

Edited by SkyClaw

Quite the opposite. Moving animals on water is far easier. They water ski quite well. You can go full speed without concern of the rope breaking. It is quite entertaining watching a half dozen cows flying along behind you  

The only one that is challenging is chickens as they have a tendency to drown due to the boat desync. Stopping occasionally does help prevent this. 

6 hours ago, SkyClaw said:

Suggestion : Make the god damn deep ocean smaller this is just some usless kind of memory usage and usless chunks.

Well, the bad news is that they're not updating TFC anymore, just doing bug fixes.   And technically the occasional huge ocean, like the on you've found, isn't a bug.

The good news is that they are working on TFC2 right now.  TFC2 will be arranged a little different, with regularly spaced islands, each in a region about 4096 blocks square.  There can be regions with no island, but overall my impression at least is that the 20k+ empty oceans will be probably virtually non-existent in TFC2. 

More bad news, TFC2 is not playable yet.  I'd suggest checking out the TFC2 forum to watch the progress.   I made a post there that summarizes some of what I considered the most important past posts that lay out the direction of TFC2.

8 hours ago, Bunsan said:

Quite the opposite. Moving animals on water is far easier. They water ski quite well. You can go full speed without concern of the rope breaking. It is quite entertaining watching a half dozen cows flying along behind you  

The only one that is challenging is chickens as they have a tendency to drown due to the boat desync. Stopping occasionally does help prevent this. 

Water skiing cows. lol

2 hours ago, WillOfStone said:

Water skiing cows. lol

Hardest part was teaching them what a pyramid is.

rCeVozf.jpg

Ye i did that then at the on my way back to home at the middle of the ocean my boat just felt out of the world and i rage quit HAHA anyway thanks for your replays guys ... btw any one know how to solve that bug or if that is an common bug that time wasnt the first  when that happend . 

The falling through the world is visual client side bug. Relog and you should be fine. Although your ropes may have vanished. These are vanilla issues. 

The better boats mod does quite a bit to fix the desync issue.  Boat exploration is almost enjoyable with it, at least until you start getting chunk generation lag--just relog when you do.

I like the smallboats mod - you have to play around with the recipes but it works nicely nand looks good too :)

I'll third that using boats to haul animals with leads is really easy. The Small boats mod is nice, but the boats are slower than vanilla. I think this was done to prevent chunk gen overrun and falling off the edge of the world.

Also, the latest version has an issue where the creator left it in some sort of debug mode, and it will spam the console & log. He doesn't seem to be around any longer, so I'm not sure it's going to get fixed. Every boat that's left in the world basically spams the log with "Hey, I'm here" every tick. I've had this literally crash my server as the virtual drive on my VPS fills up with a single log file pushing 100G because someone left a boat floating in a bay. Yeah you heard me, 100G log file. Regrettably it's since been removed from our server.

There's also an addon or two that have crates/boxes for carrying animals to make it easier to transport them if that's what you'd prefer.

Edited by vladthemad

Re the smallboats speed and logging:

There's a config file where you can tweak the speed, and the logging level.  Not exactly rocket science...

oh yes - those animal crates and tucker bags have a big drawback - you have to carry them on your back - so only 1 animal at a time.  On a long journey to find sheep or chickens that's a LOT of extra time.

If only leads weren't so buggy...

6 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

oh yes - those animal crates and tucker bags have a big drawback - you have to carry them on your back - so only 1 animal at a time.  On a long journey to find sheep or chickens that's a LOT of extra time.

If only leads weren't so buggy...

Well, if you aren't playing on a server, you can give the small boats mod a shot. It's a decent mod, although you'll need to make recipes for it. I used it to give burlap a purpose! The fact that the boats in the mod are slower than vanilla boats made it a lot easier to move my entire farm animal collection when I relocated. I think I was pulling fifteen animals at a time, made two or three trips. If you have the cage mod, you can probably even put the cages in the chests on the larger boats. Just don't leave the boats out in the world when you aren't using them and you should be fine. The issue on my server was boats being left out and the server constantly running allowed the logs to grow so large.

logging {
    S:Level=SEVERE
}

To avoid log spam, change it not only for smallboats.cfg, but also all other three configs (this mod behave like 3 separate mods).

*facepalm* You know, when you first posted this, and the few times I've looked at it since, I kept thinking "...but in my configs it's not set to SEVERE", and I could never figure out what to set it to so it wouldn't spam the logs. It just dawned on me after all this time that you probably mean I should set it to severe, correct? :/

Edit: Welp, that didn't work either. It keeps spamming the server logs with stuff like this:

[11:43:35] [Server thread/TRACE] [FML/]:     ** found smallboat 5d47e0a3-2d7a-450b-aaad-a2856b82b577
[11:43:35] [Server thread/TRACE] [FML/]: server: connecting to parent 5d47e0a3-2d7a-450b-aaad-a2856b82b577
[11:43:35] [Server thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [awger.AwgerLogger:log:13]: server.addPart(1)
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -6, y == 142, z== -15000
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -6, y == 142, z== -14999
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -6, y == 142, z== -14998
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -6, y == 142, z== -14997
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -6, y == 142, z== -14996
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -5, y == 142, z== -15000
[11:43:35] [Server thread/DEBUG] [FML/]: ** empty x == -5, y == 142, z== -14999
...and gigs and gigs of the same if the boat is left out.

Those locations are where the boat is bobbing around in the test I just ran after setting all the log settings to SEVERE. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated, as I removed the mod as it crashed my remote server a few times when it filled up all my allotted disk space!

Double Edit: Disregard, I saw on your modpack that you abandoned small boats because of bugginess.

Edited by vladthemad