Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Racoon *FINAL*

10 posts in this topic

Here's a racoon model I've worked up.  I made enough of a texture to show the general idea for the face, but I'm mostly interested in thoughts on the model.  I could try to make the body more hunched.  But I thought this got the idea across while keeping things fairly simple.  The rear leg haunches are a single piece, like in the rat, and don't move - just the four leg posts would move, as far as legs go. 

MCMCRacoon.MCModel

RacoonTexture.png

Racooncap0427.jpg

Edited by Darmo

I like the overall shape of the head. However the body seems a bit thick. Raccoons tend to get a thick coat in the colder months that makes them look very fat, but they really aren't fat creatures usually. That said, if we slim the body at all, it may make the head look too big so this shape is probably acceptable.

I made a few small adjustments to the model here to reduce the fatness of the model. I slimmed the body and haunch boxes so that they were smaller. This gives off a smaller vibe without making the head seem too over-sized IMO. I lowered the main body so that it is slightly below the head. Having the body lower to the ground makes the model seem small. This model might even look better if the body was 1 pixel wider.

RaccoonV2 Forum.png

MCMCRacoonV2.MCModel

To me that looks too small Alpha.  Maybe the google images I'm looking at are all fat city-racoons (I tried to ignore the more obese ones), but their heads are mostly kind of small compared to their bodies.   What you've got there, the cheeks are actually much wider than the body itself.  I don't think I saw a single rl photo with that kind of proportion.   I mean I hear what Bioxx was saying, but I think your version may be a bit overboard.  I was going to try making the body shallow by 1 pixel, and see how that looked...

You're correct, the shape of the head is good, but maybe the scale of it is the issue? Honestly tho, that's something that I can handle with a simple GL call in game.

Heres a good thin raccoon photo.

I think the model in V2 here will probably look perfectly fine once textured, and if need be, I can scale the head down to like 80-90% of its current size.

Apologies about the photo Darmo. The photo that I linked was an older version that I scrapped as being too thin. I forgot that the picture I put in the post and described was an old print-screen. The download is correct however. While I still did some slimming of the model it is not as severe as that photo above. I attached a comparison between your V1 model and my actual V2 model below. The head alone could still use some scaling on Bioxx's side of the equation but otherwise the model is still fairly close to your original.

Racoon 1 vs 2.png

Ok, that's definitely better.  Guess I should have opened the model, not just relied on the screenshot. 

Updated thinner body style, texture now has noise and tail stripes.  I attempted black feet but thought they looked too much like hooves.  It didn't seem like racoons have a lot of different shades on their underbelly or anything, so aside from the lighter face, the fur is fairly uniform.  Thoughts?

MCMCRacoonV4.MCModel

Racooncap0506jpg.jpg

RacoonTexture.png

So I guess this one's done then, if nobody had any further comment.