Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Giraffe *FINAL*

15 posts in this topic

Here is the giraffe model I worked up.  Alpha is handling the texture on this one, and he did a proto-texture mainly to show how the face might look.  The two thin rods in front of the giraffe are for measuring height - 86 pixels to top of head (5.3m), about 45 to top of shoulders (2.8m).  This one was tricky - giraffes are about the goofiest animal around.   The end of the tail has two 2d planes, with the intent that the tuft will be a transparent texture, since giraffe tail tufts are so wispy.  So in the final version hopefully it doesn't appear so blocky.  

I did make a few suggestions to Alpha already, which included trying the eyes at 2x3, rather than 1x3 - they sort of appeared 'squinty' to me as they are.  Perhaps a bit to evil for a giraffe.  Also all the pictures I saw, they had a more uniform brown texture on top of the head, and the horns, rather than spots.   And Alpha I think you asked about the ears and I didn't answer - it was indeed intentional that I had them resting on the back of the head box, but outside it.  But if you guys don't like it, let me know.  This one has a 128x64 texture, and used almost every bit of it!  I considered adding a 2d mane, maybe 2 pixels thick, on the back of the neck.  But wasn't sure it would add much.  Let me know what you guys think!

Giraffe WIP V6.png

giraffecap0427.jpg

giraffecapB0427.jpg

MCMCGiraffeV1.MCModel

Edited by Darmo

Looks good, I like the shape. I agree, I don't think the mane is really required. As far as the eyes. I don't mind them as they are, so if the bigger eyes don't look quite right either, then 2x1 is perfectly acceptable. Evil giraffe is kinda funny.

Thanks for kicking off this animal Darmo.

I have made a few small changes so far. The ears hanging outside the head felt a little odd to me. To counter this I made the ears be slightly pushed inside of the head. (Roughly .1) The angle of the ears is also slightly modified. I also changed the gizmo location to be in the same location on the ear for both of the ears. This makes moving the ears easier as the numbers for the ears are almost identical to each other now. The texture has also received an update in regards to the top of the head and the horns. The horns are dark on the top and gradually lighten as the horn nears the head. This is similar to the head. The middle and rear sections of the head are darker and the texture gradually gets lighter the farther out from the middle. Small amounts of noise have also been added to the rest of the head and nose as well. I will consider adding a mane once I have finished texturing the rest of the giraffe. Finally, we come to the eyes. Evil giraffe, albeit slightly funny, is replaced with a much more docile looking eye texture. Adding the second row made the eyes look a lot less intimidating.

Giraffe WIP V9.png

Head.png

MCMCGiraffeV3.MCModel

Looking at pictures, their ears really do come out almost fully from behind the skull it appears to me.  Goofy animals.  But I'm fine with that change.  I definitely think the texture is looking better with the gradients.  Might suggest making the nostrils a bit darker, in line with the ear middle.  Eye definitely looks less judgy that way.  But it's up to Bioxx if TFC2 giraffes will be evil or no :D

Here is a little update on the Giraffe:

I am pretty happy with the head at this point. The size of the boxes seems fine and everything fits into the boxes. (Things like the eyes/ears/mouth) Looking back at your comment Darmo, I saw that you requested darker nostrils and ears. Those are included now. These seem dark enough to me but do they work for you as well?

I have now started texturing the neck of the Giraffe. Working my way down to the body I added the distinct spots that giraffes have.  These can be seen in the picture below. 

Giraffe WIP 3 V3.png

Head and Neck.png

My next post here will probably be the completed version unless a complication comes up.

Love it!  Looking real good Alpha!  I really like how you're doing the spots, with a main central spot, and then a more faded border.   I don't know if you have your spots on a separate layer in whatever editor you're using, but if so, I might suggest making the base light layer a bit more warm and yellow.  Maybe it's just me but it seems like it has a faint hint of green to it.

I have been busy recently but I have made a few changes to the model. These included changing the names of the right rear leg parts. (They were originally still labelled as left legs) I also moved the tail parts up by 2 pixels so that the tail tufts come out of the tail more naturally. The scaling rods have also been deleted.

I have finished the texture for the giraffe model as well. Darmo, you voiced a concern about the base texture having a slight green hue. I find that it is not very noticeable once all the spots have been added to the model. I also added a slight yellow hue to the texture to add that warmer feeling. Let me know if it is too much or too little yellow. It is easy enough to modify. 

Giraffe Finished Yellow.png

Giraffe Finished.png

MCMCGiraffeFinished.MCModel

It's pretty good!  I feel like the middle area of the body, some of the spots have some mid-hue browns around them that could perhaps be instead dark.  I tend to like the way the neck area was done more than the body spots, which 'bleed' a bit much imho.  The spots could maybe stand to be darker as well, overall.  Or maybe that's just the MCMC lightening effect?

Also if it weren't hard to add a white underlayment to the inner legs and underbelly, it might be good, give a bit of differentiation from side to side.

Good call on moving the tail tufts up.  It looks like there's a couple boxes down at the tip that stick outward 2, if you get my meaning.  I think it's best nothing stick out more than 1, or it'll look really spikey.  

Also might want to add some dark hoofs at the ends of the legs.

The body does have some spot heavy areas on it on second thought. The original version that I had was a little spot light. It is attached below. Is that more like the art design we are going for? 

Giraffe WIP 5 V2.png

Giraffe Clear Body.png

I can definitely add a white layer for the underbelly of the giraffe. The legs would be a no go however as mirroring the legs causes issues with the texture that I discussed with you earlier. 

I will look into the tail and hoof parts as well in a future update. I understand what you are saying about the boxes at the end by the way.

It wasn't so much that there were too many on the body, as it was that there was a lot of intermediate colors around the body spots, that most of the other spots didn't really have.  It seemed inconsistent.  Giraffe spots have very sharp borders, so I think we should avoid most of the intermediate colors.  Not all though - having some degree keeps it from being too cartoonish. 

This 'spot-light' version seems like it has too few spots.  There's some large areas of void.    Giraffe photos, the spots are pretty dense - body spots are larger than neck and legs spots as well.  The light area between is like mortar between stones in a wall.  I'd say enlarge the body spots as necessary to fill in those voids so there's just narrow 'lines' of light color between.   You're probably getting tired of working on this texture, but it would be interesting to see what the result was if you tried starting with a background the dark spot color, and then drew in the lines between with a pencil tool or something like that.

Alright, I believe this texture should be final. After messing around with the spots on the body I got them to fit the original style better. The tail is also improved so that it is thicker at the top and thins out at the bottom. No more two pixels out tufts in the tail. I also added some darker spots at the bottom of the leg boxes to simulate the hooves of a giraffe. A lighter texture on the bottom of the body box has also been added. A few overview photos are attached below.

Giraffe Finished V2.png

Giraffe Belly + Hooves.png

Giraffe Overview.png

MCMCGiraffeFinished.MCModel

Ya, I'd sign off on it.  Bioxx thoughts?

Yeah looks good to me.

For future reference. if you guys could add [FINAL] to the post name when you're done (if we have permissions set up for that) it would be super helpful since I don't always add the models to game right away.

Should we only add final once you've explicitly given final approval Bioxx?  Or whenever it seems like nobody has suggested anything for a while, and maybe your final word is all it's waiting for (in which case if you had more suggestions we'd remove final from the title)?

Yeah the later is good, whenever you guys think you're done. I'll still peruse the threads but it'll help me out later when I've forgotten the conversations.