Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Terex

Mobs for TFC2

20 posts in this topic

In the read-only forum for regular members, I enjoy the new mob models currently being made. Almost looks like a full-time job as I suspect it can't be that easy? It took Dunk a good effort to make the bear for TFC1. Whilst I welcome the new animals, I wonder if they are also meant to be hunted/domesticated? The detail on the animals is far more than the standard minecraft animals possess. I encourage the modellers to replace the regular MC animals with higher polygon models. 

What animals are for is up to the devs.  Basically those of use doing the models and textures aren't coders, but we can do this.  So we're just kind of making whatever animals we feel like making.  The details to be sorted later.  Suffice to say, I made a pretty thorough list, and so far I don't recall anybody making any animal suggestion that was not already on that list.  We'll just have to see what we have time to get to.  But the process has been greatly aided by Bioxx creating a new modeling program, superior to any other available.  Some of the things we've done, probably would take 10x as long, or would not be possible without that.

I love these animals too, especially raccoon. Could you maybe share with us some other animals you planning to add? Big respect for you all and your work, I don't know much about coding but it must be lots and lots of work.

I like the animals - but always wonder if North Americans have some kind of fetish for raccoons - if I recall correctly, they appeared in Disney's '101 Dalmations' remake(S) in London (the original one in the UK).  Raccoons are only native to the US...
(just a little joky dig btw)

I am a little creeped out by the rat model - probably because it hasn't been given eyes yet and I keep on seeing the ears as eyes (unless they *are* eyes?)

Can't wait to see all these new critters in their habitats in TFC2

1 hour ago, Narmo said:

I love these animals too, especially raccoon. Could you maybe share with us some other animals you planning to add? Big respect for you all and your work, I don't know much about coding but it must be lots and lots of work.

You'll have to beg Bioxx for that.  I'm not authorized to speak to the media ;)  Plus then where would be the surprise and wonder of discovery when it is finally released?  Don't forget Alpha and Phineas are also helping in this department.  It's a team effort.  Personally I've probably had an easier time than most would, as I have a bit of background in 3d modeling and drafting.  It's actually fairly simple compared to the stuff I used to do.  Just takes time, which is often in short supply.

It's been said before in other posts, but if anyone else is interested in helping with this stuff, they can contact me - I do the vetting of new 'recruits' to see what they're capable of.

34 minutes ago, ChunkHunter said:

I am a little creeped out by the rat model - probably because it hasn't been given eyes yet and I keep on seeing the ears as eyes (unless they *are* eyes?)

It does have eyes, actually.  They're just kind of obscured by the shadow in the screenshot.  Beady little black eyes. 

Yep, I too want to have a surprise so I ask about some of them ^^ Btw I would like to help you because Terrafirmacraft is my favorite modpack and I would be very happy to be able to do part of new version but I don't now anything about coding. Can I do something else?

Edited by Narmo

What we (Alpha, Phineas, and I) do involves no coding at all.  Bioxx handles the coding part of inserting the animals.  What we do: there's modeling the animal, and there's making the texture.   Modeling requires getting good with MCMC, the program Bioxx has made, which is I think pretty easy to learn.  Texturing just requires you be able to use an image editing program.   If you want to help in either or both capacities, shoot me a pm, we'll go from there.

7 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

Perhaps this photo helps you see the eye. The eye is 1 pixel that is darker than the rest. It is hard to see since the only texture I have made for it is a black version. I will be making other variations (grey, brown, white) soontm after I finish some other current projects 
Rat Eye Close Up.png

Thanks for sharing the progress with us, I'm so excitd to see the new animals!! :)

16 hours ago, Th3A1ph4D0g said:

Perhaps this photo helps you see the eye. The eye is 1 pixel that is darker than the rest. It is hard to see since the only texture I have made for it is a black version. I will be making other variations (grey, brown, white) soontm after I finish some other current projects 

Yes - after Darmo pointed it out I went back to the other forum and found it - it's *very* hard to spot - even on your "clearer" photo :)
(Or maybe my old eyes are simply a little foggy.)

I'm of the mind that simpler is better, and I'm not really a fan of several of the mob models.  Default mobs seem to try to use the least amount of boxes possible: One for the head, one for the nose, one for each ear, the raccoons head, for instance doesn't look like it belongs in the game with 3 boxes defining the head and two boxes for the nose.

The weasel is better, but the nose still looks weird with a poly at a 45 degree angle, The rat looks really cute, and is closest to the aesthetic of the base game.

The gorilla could probably do more with less.  A box for the head, a box for the muzzle, and I think it looks a little on the skinny side, arms could be much larger.

The giraffe, though its more complex than the others, is all right.  A larger mob can use more polys and fit into the game because it keeps a similar polygon per unit volume density, though the hair on the tail might look better as two alpha textured surfaced than a 3d box.

Thanks for the interest Jalden, but the fact of the matter is, we can't satisfy everyone.  Some people like complex models, some people like simple stuff.  Bioxx has an aesthetic in mind, and it is what it is.  It is not up for debate.  Take comfort in the fact that we have rejected far more complex models than what you have seen - we actually are going for a simple, blocky aesthetic.

Edited by Darmo

Thanks for the reply.  I felt really bad after I gave my input.  It almost felt like I was telling the developers what to do.  I can imagine comments from the peanut gallery can get annoying. I'm sure everything I said was already a thought in someone's head.  Don't take anything I say with any more than is actually helpful.

One thing I'd for sure love to see is more of a "Tech Tree" and more weapons to accompany them. As an idea possibly the ability to craft a musket or a poll arm things like that

Curious as to whether or not Strays and Husks from vanilla Minecraft could be incorporated in some way. Their unique appearances could be nice additions to the list of hostile mobs (or perhaps replacements for the plain old zombies and normal skeletons). 

As a rat owner, I adore the rat model. So cute! Also fond of the musk ox. The new mobs look awesome and you guys are doing a great job!

I have some suggestions for mobs for TFC2, if you are taking suggestions?

[if not, perhaps some ideas for modders in the future]

1. Bison. Bigger than cows, gives Bison meat, hides and bones. Breedable? perhaps even milkable once familiarized?

2. Mountain Lion, or Cougar. semi-agressive mob. [similar AI to Bear]. perhaps gives Claws, Hide, tendons?

3. Hawk. flying mob. Perhaps can give poultry meat, feathers. Maybe has nests in the heights or on top of mountains where you can raid nests for eggs. Maybe tame-able and breedable?

4. Snakes, two varieties; Rattlesnake [aggressive mob that poisons you and deals damage] , Gardner snake [passive]. Both could give meat, bones and perhaps snakeskin. [imagine curing snakeskin like hide, to make a type of leather that could have unique items or be item ID'd to be leather...] Perhaps a 3rd variant, a watersnake?

5. Shark. Kind of self-explanatory. Maybe gives sharkskin? [see #4 for uses], Shark meat/Shark fin. Shark Teeth [maybe shark teeth could provide a "sharpness" attribute/enchant to swords knives? [in primitive cultures, some aquatic cultures used shark teeth for sword-like weapons]. Shark teeth possible use as arrowheads?

6. Turkey, poultry, feathers, maybe nests with turkey eggs, breedable?

Thats about all the mobs I can think of, but I would really love to see more flight based and water based mobs, which is something sadly missing from Minecraft and most mobs.

If you wanted to go more primitive with mobs, maybe such things as an Auroch, Dire Wolf, Mammoth, Smilodon, or terrorbird.

We're kind of at a pause in mob modeling right now, as Bioxx has a large back-log of mobs already that we've made, but are not implemented.  He's just not at the point where mobs are the priority yet.  I'm pretty sure he has implemented several new mobs from the early days, when it was just me and Alpha and Phineas.  But I think most of the stuff in the public forum probably hasn't been inserted yet.  So some patience will be required.  We've focused on ground-based mammals and birds pretty much exclusively, because Bioxx can just copy the animations easily from vanilla mobs.  Anything that flies, or has weird motion (like a snake) is going to be way down the list due to the animation issues.

All that said, 5 of the animals you mentioned are already made and modeled, 2 or 3 of which I think *might* be inserted in the game already.  I haven't actually seen any of the new mobs yet (though I've seen one vanilla mob that was not in TFC1!).  Most of the rest you mentioned are already on 'the list'.

I have some mobs that I would like to blend in with the population of FK. Mainly I want them to look like pcs before you deal with them. Basicly I was hoping the mobs could greet the pcs then the pcs would know the mobs real name. Can this be done?