Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Pwnlord

Meteoric iron & materials

35 posts in this topic

Meteoric iron is a staple of both real and fantastic works as a tool material-intensely frequently swords, but occasionally other items as well. Rare meteoric impacts could be a solid source of iron-nickel alloy as well as exotic space rock, an excellent material for bragging rights on MP servers and quite pretty in its own right, atop possible use in TFC2's magic system.

Vitally, it's also yet another reason to explore; the sight of a shooting star far in the distance should be reason to grab your tools/hop in a boat and chase it.

Honestly, what TFC2 needs is a sense of the fantastic to add to the detail it adds to everyday life. Chasing meteor impacts and climbing into craters in search of precious ore sounds like a lot of fun.

Edited by Pwnlord

I support this.  I think it would be good to have metals that were in short supply.  So you don' t have to have them to tier up, but if you add a little bit (5-10%) to other alloys, maybe it reduces enchanting cost, or increases durability, or increases damage against certain creature types.  Things like that.  It'd also be pretty neat if the meteor site had subtle hints sometimes, in the form of a crater in the landscape.  Not too obvious though.

Edited by Darmo

Realistcally, the amount of material that survives a meteoric impact will be a very small amount, so adding it into an alloy would make sense, in regards to meteor impacts, maybe make them happen in a low chance 5%-10% during specific times througout the year, coinciding with actual meteor shower astronomical events.

Edited by Omri100
I accidentaly a word

It would be cool if there was different kinds of meteorites like some could explode leaving nothing while others could poison you if you got to close while their still hot. And it would also be cool if you could summon those meteorites with a special amulet or something.

1 hour ago, Wackypat said:

It would be cool if there was different kinds of meteorites like some could explode leaving nothing while others could poison you if you got to close while their still hot. And it would also be cool if you could summon those meteorites with a special amulet or something.

I believe the intention is too still keep it realistic at least to some extent, but I do like the hot metorite giving you fire damage idea.

I would definitely prefer to never have a 'natural' meteorite strike.  Magically summoned, maybe, at the right alignment of moon and stars.  But meteorites that make it to earth are pretty rare.    I think it would be better if all natural meteorites are already generated in the world.  It'd be interesting if they did not respond to 'normal' prospecting methods, making them very hard to find without their own special methods.

The main problem with this is in reality meteoric iron is incredibly soft, often being softer than copper or lead.

If meteors were added they should be some kind of "biome". Bioxx is basing the world gen in "features" the islands can have, for example, a "valley". Maybe, one rare feature would be a pretty rounded depression in the terrain, sometimes filled with water, and others just taken over by nature. In the stone layer bellow this feature meteorite ores would spawn. This way you are making meteorite findings much difficult, as you dont just have to read "traces of meteorite". You have to study the enviroment to detect if a collision was possible, and then find the centre and start digging down.

Also, if this were added, it must be purple and be called Iridium ;)

On 5/17/2016 at 3:27 PM, kickinit233 said:

The main problem with this is in reality meteoric iron is incredibly soft, often being softer than copper or lead.

I think within this context, meteoric iron is more of a fantasy element, rather than a 'realistic' element.  Perhaps the notion of 'star metal' having extra special properties.  I think in D&D meteoric iron was for damaging demons or something like that.  Like how silver is traditionally supposed to be for killing werewolves.  It might be interesting if meteoric iron took a very, very long time to break each block, encouraging the use of powder kegs.

3 hours ago, lJuanGB said:

If meteors were added they should be some kind of "biome". Bioxx is basing the world gen in "features" the islands can have, for example, a "valley". Maybe, one rare feature would be a pretty rounded depression in the terrain, sometimes filled with water, and others just taken over by nature. In the stone layer bellow this feature meteorite ores would spawn. This way you are making meteorite findings much difficult, as you dont just have to read "traces of meteorite". You have to study the enviroment to detect if a collision was possible, and then find the centre and start digging down.

Also, if this were added, it must be purple and be called Iridium ;)

That is interesting. A hidden biome hex containing a used-to-be crater, and you might just have skipped through it had you not notice the shallow ridges and odd stone structure...

17 hours ago, Darmo said:

I think within this context, meteoric iron is more of a fantasy element, rather than a 'realistic' element.  Perhaps the notion of 'star metal' having extra special properties.  I think in D&D meteoric iron was for damaging demons or something like that.  Like how silver is traditionally supposed to be for killing werewolves.  It might be interesting if meteoric iron took a very, very long time to break each block, encouraging the use of powder kegs.

True but fantasy is not something TFC is known realism not fantasy. It's not that I am saying it shouldn't be added I would make it like silver and other precious metals, rare and as a source of bragging rights, not for actual tools. If they were to go down the tool path i would make it a bridge metal, i.e. better than copper but not as good as plain iron, or it could be used in a way like the udary mod where you could separate out the base metals.

56 minutes ago, kickinit233 said:

True but fantasy is not something TFC is known realism not fantasy.

There's already been several threads discussing magical stuff.  These have not been discouraged.  You should probably prepare for the likelihood of TFC2 including substantial fantasy elements. Frankly, I think it will make the game fare more fun and interesting.

28 minutes ago, Darmo said:

There's already been several threads discussing magical stuff.  These have not been discouraged.  You should probably prepare for the likelihood of TFC2 including substantial fantasy elements. Frankly, I think it will make the game fare more fun and interesting.

Again I'm not saying I'm against it.

I personally think there should be some semi-fantasy metals in game however i would like it to at least try to stay close to reality. For example if they wanted to add mithril they could add the real life metal that is arsenic copper or arsenic bronze.

Another way that would make it semi realistic would be meteoric iron items must be sharpened often as they don't hold an edge well.

Edited by kickinit233
Typo

Seeing as you triple posted in the span of one hour, might as well edit it into one big post, no? Clutters the thread.

I would rather have meteoric metal as one tier below procedural alloys, making it the best metal available and a high-tier alloy ingredient. Collecting the gunpowder necessary for the powder keg would be worth it.

I agree. Meteoric metal if added should be very rare and the best metal available.

I particularly like the idea of finding craters scattered around the world, it would add believabllity at the same time adding a fantasy element.

Maybe a really rare biome could be a meteorite field the chance of finding this would be like 1 in 100 but if you do find it you've got enough meteoric metal for a lifetime.

7 hours ago, kickinit233 said:

I personally think there should be some semi-fantasy metals in game however i would like it to at least try to stay close to reality. For example if they wanted to add mithril they could add the real life metal that is arsenic copper or arsenic bronze.

But why semi-fantasy?  Why not full fantasy?  The closer you stay to reality the more finicky things get.  So now we have to find a way for the player to extract arsenic - because you're sure not going to mine arsenic ore.  I'm not against that - I'd like to see alchemy in the game.  But the details can snowball fast.  So now you have to be able to refine the arsenic, how do you add it?  Are we adding poison gas as the player heats the metal and poisons themselves with arsenic fumes?  Permanent nerve damage going to be incorporated in the form of permanently lowered skill caps?   All just to make a fantasy metal with some recipe fidelity to a real life metal, but far better properties than the rl one?

Why can't mithril use silver as the base metal?  That seems much more fitting as a high tier metal.  The poison gas thing would still be fun (though I'd save it for meteoric or adamantium), but copper is boring by this point.   Add some other funky ingredients and processes, so the player knows they're moving up, and not just making uber-bronze.  Platinum would be very fitting with the shiny brightness of mithril.  Maybe some zinc.  Throw some thematic stuff in there.  Make it so it can only be worked at night, under moonlight, and it must be quenched in a fine liquor distilled from some sylvan flower (use for one type of alcohol, at least).  To me this sort of stuff is soooo much more fun and interesting than just more copper and tin, with a bit of arsenic tossed in.  If we're making fantasy metal, why not full fantasy?

If the devs are feeling traditional, there's actual fantasy mainstays, like mithril, adamantium, or historical-quasi-fantasy orichalcum, plus meteoric iron, a real metal given supernatural powers in fantasy.  Or they could make up entirely new ones if they want their own mythos.  The thing is, as I recall the last thing we'd heard was procedural metals were still on the table, and the player that discovers the metal gets to name it.  If that's the system we end up with - going from real life metals like steel, to custom procedural, then probably meteoric iron would need to be an admixture, not a tool metal.  Otherwise, why did it get it's own name and fixed metal, while everything after was procedural?  Unless we have a few named fantasy metals and *then* procedural.  But the way the procedural thing and new alloying system work will probably have a lot to do with how this shakes out.   I'd be fine with fantasy ingredients, or full-on fantasy tool  metals, personally.  Though I think rare not-strictly-necessary-but-very-good admixtures would add a more dynamic element.   My main concern is I'd really prefer to not have to do the exact same thing forever.   And meteoric, well, that's a lot of syllables.  How about "star metal" or something else short?

"star metal" - oooohhhh, shiny!!

:)

But seriously, I'm with you on the fantasy thing - go sl out - no need to make it "realistic" as long as it's "believable", right? :)

The point for me is to not have a real connection between the shooting stars ( Meteorite falling into earth ) and the location of the meteoric ore.

For example: It would be nice to in some nights see these fantastic shooting stars in the night sky.

That in no way shape or form, means that if you mark the direction you will find meteoric ore.

In game Meteors do not actually fall, all you will ever see is their craters and you need to pay attention to your surrounds to be able to notice the crater.

there are some addon mods that give shooting stars now.

I think one of the shaders packs does, for example

If meteoric metal (please Iridum) is added I think it should be made to be part of the alloys, as an always-good metal. Maybe, as it has been said, make the tools easier to affect with magic. If you are going to make it a last tier metal that can be worked alone, make it so the ores can only be mined with the previous tier, so it is not a luck based metal.

Also, it should be made completely optional. Once you are done with the steels you can go for the alloys, skipping meteoric iron in case you dont want to try to find it.

12 hours ago, Darmo said:

But why semi-fantasy?  Why not full fantasy?  The closer you stay to reality the more finicky things get.  So now we have to find a way for the player to extract arsenic - because you're sure not going to mine arsenic ore.  I'm not against that - I'd like to see alchemy in the game.  But the details can snowball fast.  So now you have to be able to refine the arsenic, how do you add it?  Are we adding poison gas as the player heats the metal and poisons themselves with arsenic fumes?  Permanent nerve damage going to be incorporated in the form of permanently lowered skill caps?   All just to make a fantasy metal with some recipe fidelity to a real life metal, but far better properties than the rl one?

Why can't mithril use silver as the base metal?  That seems much more fitting as a high tier metal.  The poison gas thing would still be fun (though I'd save it for meteoric or adamantium), but copper is boring by this point.   Add some other funky ingredients and processes, so the player knows they're moving up, and not just making uber-bronze.  Platinum would be very fitting with the shiny brightness of mithril.  Maybe some zinc.  Throw some thematic stuff in there.  Make it so it can only be worked at night, under moonlight, and it must be quenched in a fine liquor distilled from some sylvan flower (use for one type of alcohol, at least).  To me this sort of stuff is soooo much more fun and interesting than just more copper and tin, with a bit of arsenic tossed in.  If we're making fantasy metal, why not full fantasy?

If the devs are feeling traditional, there's actual fantasy mainstays, like mithril, adamantium, or historical-quasi-fantasy orichalcum, plus meteoric iron, a real metal given supernatural powers in fantasy.  Or they could make up entirely new ones if they want their own mythos.  The thing is, as I recall the last thing we'd heard was procedural metals were still on the table, and the player that discovers the metal gets to name it.  If that's the system we end up with - going from real life metals like steel, to custom procedural, then probably meteoric iron would need to be an admixture, not a tool metal.  Otherwise, why did it get it's own name and fixed metal, while everything after was procedural?  Unless we have a few named fantasy metals and *then* procedural.  But the way the procedural thing and new alloying system work will probably have a lot to do with how this shakes out.   I'd be fine with fantasy ingredients, or full-on fantasy tool  metals, personally.  Though I think rare not-strictly-necessary-but-very-good admixtures would add a more dynamic element.   My main concern is I'd really prefer to not have to do the exact same thing forever.   And meteoric, well, that's a lot of syllables.  How about "star metal" or something else short?

Arsenic bronze is not created by extracting arsenic, arsenic was accidentally added because many of the ores that contains copper also had arsenic in them. And if they go full fantasy that's fine, I was just suggesting what I as a player would want. 

31 minutes ago, kickinit233 said:

Arsenic bronze is not created by extracting arsenic, arsenic was accidentally added because many of the ores that contains copper also had arsenic in them. And if they go full fantasy that's fine, I was just suggesting what I as a player would want. 

Arsenic bronze can most certainly be created by adding arsenic separately.   It's original accidental discovery is incidental.  I don't get the impression that TFC is intended to be about 'accidental' progression.  And I realize you're stating your opinion, everybody here is - that's fine I'm not saying you can't do that, that's how discussion works.  I'm stating my counter-opinion, with the reasoning behind my opinion and suggestions about how it might actually look, in terms of game mechanics.