Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Konlii

[WIP] [TFC-0.79.28] Ambient Creatures Mod

18 posts in this topic

Overview

The purpose of this mod is just to add a little more life into TerraFirmaCraft.

Current Features (alpha build)

• Butterflies spawn on grass blocks during the day and flutter around
  • Moths spawn on grass blocks at night and flutter around

To do

• Change from vanilla-bat-style movement to custom AI tasks
    • Make butterflies attracted to flowers and blooming fruit trees
    • Make moths attracted to light sources
    • Stop everything from wandering out over the ocean

• Create dragonflies that spawn on fresh water blocks during the day and eat butterflies

• Create actual nocturnal bats that spawn on leaf blocks at night and eat moths
  • Maybe create some birds, possibly American Robins (just because I'm partial to them)
  • Figure out something that would be good to spawn in the winter
  • Clean up everything I don't use from Bletch's template (first time I've tried setting up my dev environment this way)

Download

Source

Edited by Konlii

This is actually pretty good especially for minor changes hope this does well

Maybe their could be fish (water) and termites (trees specifically any the wooden areas)

5 hours ago, CALEBXD101 said:

Maybe their could be fish (water) and termites (trees specifically any the wooden areas)

Termites are definitely doable, but I wouldn't have them eat wood or anything. That got very old very fast in orespawn.

Love this idea! I am currently using Butterflies and Mosquitoes from the Forestry mod. The Butterflies are currently capturable with the Forestry Scoop but there is no way to decently mount or display them yet.

Maybe some bees would be a good idea, they would spawn in spring and summer near flower patches. And maybe spiders that spawn below a certain y-level and they can spawn in webs, which u could probably add in.

Edited by KsterNator

On 5/24/2016 at 9:30 PM, OneWolfe said:

Love this idea! I am currently using Butterflies and Mosquitoes from the Forestry mod. The Butterflies are currently capturable with the Forestry Scoop but there is no way to decently mount or display them yet.

I honestly don't know anything about lepidoptery, so Forestry goes into more depth than I think I'm even capable of.

7 hours ago, KsterNator said:

Maybe some bees would be a good idea, they would spawn in spring and summer near flower patches. And maybe spiders that spawn below a certain y-level and they can spawn in webs, which u could probably add in.

I don't know if TFC just does things differently or if I was doing something wrong, but when I was doing the spawns for the butterfly I couldn't get it to work by specifying the block as I would do in regular Minecraft.  I had to use "TFC_Core.isGrass" instead.

I appreciate suggestions for this addon (especially since it is in such an early stage and barely has any content), but at the moment I'm really trying to keep this to "ambient" mobs.  With bees, the most logical thing to do is have them spawn in hives, but if you have hives you will expect to have apiculture or at the very least be able to get honey from them.  You very quickly cross the threshold away from ambient.

Consider the only ambient creature in vanilla Minecraft: the bat.  Bats are absolutely useless.  They have no purpose.  I could have easily called this the "Useless Creatures" addon.

I think he has a good point about seasonal variations though.  It wouldn't make much sense for butterflies to spawn on a singular grass block, surrounded by snow, in the middle of winter.  Of course, if you were in an equatorial region, it would make sense to see butterflies in winter.  The difficulty would be in managing the complexity necessary to maintain such seasonal/climate relationships, but I don't think it would be impossible.  It may be of concern whether it could be coded in a resource non-intensive way though.

Seasonal tracking would go a long way in integrating ambient mob spawning in a way that the various general mob spawning mods, like JAS, cannot do, so I hope you will consider it.

Edited by cckcckcc

I hope to hear more from this mod. It has potential. I would suggest rabbits but another add-on is doing it

41 minutes ago, cckcckcc said:

I think he has a good point about seasonal variations though.  It wouldn't make much sense for butterflies to spawn on a singular grass block, surrounded by snow, in the middle of winter.  Of course, if you were in an equatorial region, it would make sense to see butterflies in winter.  The difficulty would be in managing the complexity necessary to maintain such seasonal/climate relationships, but I don't think it would be impossible.  It may be of concern whether it could be coded in a resource non-intensive way though.

Seasonal tracking would go a long way in integrating ambient mob spawning in a way that the various general mob spawning mods, like JAS, cannot do, so I hope you will consider it.

It's actually super simple.  I just have to check the current temperature and spawn based on that.  If it's cold enough for snow, it's too cold for butterflies.  If it's warm all year round, you get butterflies all year round.  I could pull the season info directly out of the TFC API, but the temperature info gives me what I want, since butterflies don't care what the calendar says anyway.

Also... who has a good point?  I didn't see anyone mention seasonal variations.

Just now, Konlii said:

It's actually super simple.  I just have to check the current temperature and spawn based on that.  If it's cold enough for snow, it's too cold for butterflies.  If it's warm all year round, you get butterflies all year round.  I could pull the season info directly out of the TFC API, but the temperature info gives me what I want, since butterflies don't care what the calendar says anyway.

Also... who has a good point?  I didn't see anyone mention seasonal variations.

I think he meant me 

On 5/29/2016 at 2:55 AM, KsterNator said:

Yep, sorry didn't quote--I was being lazy.  Good to know it would be simple to code, as I don't know much about TFC's API.

It's a good point, I hadn't considered, that you don't actually need to look at the calendar date for seasonal spawns.  TFC temperatures should be sufficient for any ambient mob I can really think of.  Also, if you are still looking for ideas for winter spawns, I would throw out there that American Robins are one of the few birds that don't fly north during the winter (at least where I live in Midwest America where it gets pretty frigid), so you could at least spawn those in most winter temperatures, unless perhaps were talking the arctic cold.  

Edited by cckcckcc

By chance have you made any more progress on this?  I am dying for some more life in TFC.

Edited by syndicate25

Sorry, no progress.  I had been messing around with it a little bit, but then pretty much lost interest after my wife passed away.

9 hours ago, Konlii said:

Sorry, no progress.  I had been messing around with it a little bit, but then pretty much lost interest after my wife passed away.

No apology necessary, I just barely started getting into TFC, and so far this one had my interest the most for addons.  But wow, my condolences.  Let ME apologize for poking you about a mod/addon in a time like this.  Please, take care of yourself.

I am sorry for your loss =;(

I like your butterflies.. they are pretty.