Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmo

Ptarmigan (arctic chicken)

7 posts in this topic

So in the quest to get more arctic animals, I've worked up a Ptarmigan model (The P is silent, for those wondering).  They're an arctic bird, that I thought could be either the arctic equivalent of a chicken (tameable) or pheasant (wild).    I should have rotated the head for the screencap - the head is actually a separate box from the neck, 4 pixels tall, so it can look around.  Ptarmigan molt to change feather colors for the season, so they are white in winter, and brown-white in summer.  Hopefully that's something that might be code-able, based on the month?  The red bands above the eyes are a male ptarmigan feature.  I'd create separate textures for the females.  The summer female would be more brown overall, but the winter would be the same as the male, just minus the red bands.

I used transparent textures for the tail and wings.  I think it works ok for the wings, since they're only 1 pixel wide.  The tail though, when viewed from the bottom is transparent.  I put a 2d plane 1 pixel below the tail top surface, so that if viewed from the bottom that plane at least shows.  But the feathering on the side of the tail doesn't, when view from 'inside' the tail box.

With some thinning up of the legs and beak, and a new texture, this model could probably also serve as a seagull if we wanted seagulls hanging around on the beach.  But, being more of an aerial bird, I figure maybe a flying model would be better for seagulls.  But if you the devs would like a beach seagull, let me know and I'll either make a separate model, or (more likely) alter this one so there's some thin legs and a thin beak present at the same time, and the texture can show whichever is desired.   Might be useful if any other similar shape birds ever got put in.

So ya, lemme know what you all think.

PtarmiganMaleSummer.png

PtarmiganMaleWinter.png

Ptarmiganpic.jpg

Ptarmigan.MCModel

The summer texture needs a bit of smoothing, I think. Either smoothing, or it should have a bit more of a pattern to the color changes. Or maybe just try to make the spots bigger, or sharper. As for the model, I like it, but maybe the legs should be 2x2? I downloaded and made them thin to see what they would look like, and I think it looks better, and their legs really aren't all that fat. You might try making them a pixel shorter as well, because they are pretty stubby based on google images.

Ptarmigan.png

Agreed on the legs.  For the pattern, did you mean overall, or mostly the head/neck area?  They really do have some wildly changing patterns, with no real rhyme or reason, in some pictures.   I did a version with a more structured pattern to the wings.  Does this help?  Not saying I'm done with it overall, but wanted to see if that's helping.

PtarmiganPic2.jpg

Ok, evened out the amount of brown on the front and top areas of the body, so there was less white spots.  Tried to make more 2-pixel long 'feathers'. There's more dark spots here and there, but ptarmigan do have dark spots to their plumage.  Seem good?

PtarmiganPic3.jpg

Finally sat down and worked up a summer female texture - Let me know what you guys think.  This is the last of the four, so I also made a composite showing all four for comparison. 

PtarmiganFEMSummer.jpg

PtarmiganFemaleSummer.png

PtarmiganAll.jpg