Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Konlii

Dromedary Camel *FINAL*

39 posts in this topic

More uses for wool after creating the first bed are always nice! There would need to be some system of dying the wool as I do not believe there is a system already present in game.

Ah, but you *can* dye carpets.  Though ya, it'd be nice to be able to dye wool cloth as well.  They you wouldn't need to dye carpets I guess, they'd inherit the color of the wool cloth.  I'm thinking the recipe could be a saddle in the middle, carpet above and below, and a piece of leather right and left.  It'd be pretty cool if, down the road, there were many different blankets.  So using two red might result in the one above, but a red and blue  would result in a different design with red and blue.  Etc etc.  I guess that'd require a separate graphic for each saddle though.  Unless actual patterned carpets became a thing.  And you had to put a carpet on first, and then the saddle. 

I am planning on showing a total of 4 chests (2 to a side).  The first attempt is with open baskets.  Since MCMC culls the internal box faces (and Minecraft doesn't), I had to throw it into the actual game to see the full effect.  Final texture will also have some more shading around the rim of the baskets.

*side note* Since Minecraft does not cull internal box faces, be aware that any 0 width box with textures on both sides will have z-fighting with itself.

camel_preview17.pngcamel_preview18.png

Edited by Konlii

For the final version of the Camel saddle, it would be a good idea to use a double mesh for the blanket. One for the base color, and one for an overlay color.

Additionally in MCMC, I've added support for decimal places in box sizes so you can use up to 2 decimal places if needed to reduce some z-fighting.

Minecraft doesn't cull inside faces?   I have totally been spreading misinformation if that's the case.  It'd sure be nice if MCMC could act in the same way.

Oh, and lookin good on the basket Konlii!

Also, has the download link been updated?  I tried downloading the newest version, but still could not seem to put decimals in the size fields.  Anyone else?

Edited by Darmo

I think with blocks, culling depends on which render pass you tell Minecraft to use?  I'm not sure if you can change the render pass for entities.

I think MCMC is the same version.  It doesn't have the new export format, either.

@Bioxx: Regarding a "double mesh" texture, you mean like how leather armor has a "_overlay" texture?

I think he means, in the example of your camel blanket, one mesh that will just a red background, and then another mesh, just slightly above it using the new decimal size system, for the yellow pattern.  I'd guess the idea is to make the art overhead lower.  So rather than make a red blanket with yellow design, blue blanket with yellow design, green blanket with yellow design, etc, all being different textures, you just have a red blanket underlayer texture, and a yellow blanket overlayer texture.  This same red underlayer also serves as the background for other designs.  The overlayer can have a number of designs, which can go over any background layer - they are transparent to let the underlayer show around the design.  So if we have white, red, yellow, green, blue, and black, and we have one background and one design in each color, and had to do a unified texture for each, we'd be talking 36 textures.  But if they are separated into under and over layer, you only need 12 textures.  I think that's the idea. 

My question is how this is going to work with the new decimal size system.  How the texture will handle that.  If we're going to have odd slivers hanging about, or what.

Edited by Darmo

I would think you could just put both textures/boxes in the same plane and just make use of texture transparency. So, where texture A is transparent, texture B is visible and vice versa. Putting them on different layers would probably look slightly off.

Edited by Therighthon

The problem with that is it only works for a specific pattern.  In theory there could be many yellow patterns.  By being slightly separated, the single background works for all of them.  Bioxx said he's allowing 2 decimals of exaction.  I'd think 1 decimal would be plenty, but a .02 different between planes, one would never notice.

However, the notion of transparent designs over solid textures only really saves art overhead if the design at least, is a separate entity from the camel.  otherwise you still have to have separate textures for all combos, if the underlayer and overlayer are part of the same texture.  So I don't know, Bioxx may  be thinking of something else.

Edited by Darmo

Remember, leather armor can be dyed and the part that gets dyed comes from a single pair of textures, while the part that stays undyed comes from a single pair of separate textures.

So what I am imagining is: a single "camel" texture, a "camel_blanket" texture that is the underlayer, and a "camel_blanket_overlay" texture that is the overlayer.  I haven't yet dug into the vanilla code to see exactly how the leather armor works, but I know for a fact that the underlayer textures are colorless so that the dyeing can be done in the code.  Multiple overlayer patterns can be made (_overlay0, _overlay1, etc.) and applied at random similar to how you get random horse textures, if that's something Bioxx wants to do.

Edited by Konlii

That is correct Konlii, I can perform the color dying myself which means that we only need a greyscale texture for the base and a greyscale texture for the overlay. A color multiplier can be used to alter this on the fly without the need for tons of art.

As far as the download, I totally forgot to upload the file to dropbox after I zipped it. The problem has been rectified.

Now with saddle and bridle.  If you want to check it out in MCMC, use the combined texture.

camel_preview19.png

Camel.MCModel

camel.png

camel_blanket.png

camel_blanket_overlay.png

camel_combined.png

Edited by Konlii

That is awesome.  This is going to increase the demand for deserts even more though!

Unless anyone has any more comments, I'm going to mark this one final.