Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

16 posts in this topic

I have gotten started on squirrel model and texture, and could use some feedback, particularly on the tail. I have it vary in width to try and make it look fluffy, and to avoid the all-corrupting Z-fighting. I could make it the same thickness all the way through, and edit the texture such that the Z-fighting is nonexistent, but if I want the tail to be able to bend both ways, that would look weird and flat. Unless you are one of the people who actually reads the text before looking at the images, you will have noticed that I included two poses, one running and one sitting. Depending on what Bioxx wants to do in terms of animation, it could switch between the models, or just use the running one. The sitting animation is about as simple as I could make it; you only have to rotate the haunch box -60°, and adjust the head and back leg boxes appropriately. Anyway, feedback will be appreciated. Once we get a good model sorted out, I will make a grey variant as well. Also, this would probably have to be scaled down a little bit, particularly for the red squirrel.

SquirrelRunning.pngSquirrelSitting.png

SquirrelRunning.MCModel

SquirrelUpright.MCModel

SquirrelRed.png

Edited by Therighthon

Oh man that is cute!  The only part that kind of weirds me out is the dominant rear haunch box in the running model, with legs behind - it looks fine in the sitting model.  I think it might look better if the haunch box in the running model was 4y by 4z ?  Or maybe if the legs were under the bottom corner, rather than sitting on the back slope?  Maybe both?

I also noticed the legs have some weird movement behaviors, apparently due to being childed to the front, which is itself a child of the rear haunches.   Just fyi, barring some fancy animation to make the running model also sit up, you don't need the legs to be children of the body boxes, because the body boxes won't be animated.  Just the legs.  So the legs don't really need to be children at all (though they do still need to be ISRENDERER I think).  Unfortunately we can't drag and drop boxes *out* of childing currently.  You'd have to re-make them to take them out.

To explain the tail Bioxx, I told righton that you might be able to animate it to wave like that other squirrel out there - squirrels and bunnies mod or something?  Its tail wiggles slightly when sitting still, and flicks up and down when running.  It's pretty good and adds a ton of character, but I didn't know if we could do it.  But that's part of the idea behind the 3-section tail.

I noticed that you actually CAN drag and drop boxes outside of childing. There is a very small margin where it is possible. This can not be shown accurately with a photo as a print-screen removes the mouse from the print-screen. This includes the + or - sign that is important here. If you hold onto a box and keep it where it is you can see a small white - in the area that I circled. This signifies that it will be a child if it is placed there. However, if you move your cursor (while still holding the box) to the area to the left of the blue circle but still in the dark grey the sign will change. It will now be a white + sign (signifies growing bigger than a child?). This will place the box you were just holding at the bottom of the box list.

Un-Childing MCMC.png

Yeah, the childing is there so that the squirrel can sit up easily.  I don't have any problems with brutally ripping the legs from their parents, but I am going to keep them as children for the time being, but I probably should re-create them before the final product, as the long measurement is along the Z axis, when they ought to be oriented vertically. That might have something to do with the weird animation, and it might've been in part that the gizmos were in the corners. Anyway, I went ahead and tried a couple things with the back legs. I personally like the short-haunched version, but the other ones are alright too. It is still a little awkward, but not as awkward as it is to bend the legs forward so that they come out on the bottom instead of the back.

SquirrelHaunch3.pngSquirrelHaunch1.pngSquirrelHaunch2.png

Edited by Therighthon

Ya, I think that first pic looks pretty good.  Good eye on the de-childing Alpha!  It's good just to know it's possible.  The "weird movement" I spoke of was indeed how when you try to move them along what should be the z axis they instead move a different way.  I have no capability to try out animations myself.  I don't think it will probably affect the animation, but it just makes editing the model easier if the parts move in the directions you expect them to.   Looking again, maybe move the head forward so it's not partially inside the body box?

Excellent. I put together a grey texture as well as fixing the nose on the red one so that there is pink on the sides, like on the grey one. Also, the short haunch model needs to be moved down by 2 pixels to switch between running and sitting poses.

SquirrelGrayUpright16.pngSquirrelGrayRunning16.png

SquirrelRed.png

SquirrelGray.png

Squirrel.MCModel

SquirrelSitting.MCModel

Single pixel cube a bit forward of and above the snout, by like .1 or .2, maybe?  It'd give more of a button nose look.

Edited by Darmo

Just wanted to say that this is absolutely adorable. Would it be possible to also add a texture for black squirrels? They'd be a super rare variation kind of like the vanilla pink sheep.

4 hours ago, Kittychanley said:

Just wanted to say that this is absolutely adorable. Would it be possible to also add a texture for black squirrels? They'd be a super rare variation kind of like the vanilla pink sheep.

Sure.
BlackUp.pngBlackDown.png

SquirrelBlack.png

I wonder if they should all have the same pink nose, or maybe the grey and black have a different shade that's a bit darker?

They are slightly different colors, you just can't tell very easily. Realistically, black squirrels should have black noses, and red squirrels' noses are pretty much the same color as their fur, with the grey squirrels being the ones with the most noticeable pink nose. But, as some folks would be happy to tell you, TFC strives for believably, and I just like the pink noses better because they stand out a bit better. I can change it if you really want me to, but I prefer it this way.

Not a huge deal. I can live with them the way they are.  I think you can probably make the title FINAL

BigTurtles has put together a pretty nice texture for a white squirrel. These white squirrels could be found either in colder climates, or in swamps depending on what Bioxx wants to do.

SquirrelWhiteUp.pngSquirrelWhiteDown.png

SquirrelWhite.png