Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Lorkenpeist

Mules (and other pack animals) carry barrels

11 posts in this topic

I've always thought it was awkward how you could equip a chest on a donkey/mule in vanilla Minecraft and it would just be sticking out of their body.  Given that in TFC barrels seem to be the portable containers while chests are not portable, I think it would be cool for pack animals to carry barrels instead of chests.  Also, no awkward sticking out of the body.  They should be strapped on the side.  Perhaps different animals could carry different numbers of barrels, like 2 for a mule or 3 for a camel.  Perhaps they could also carry large vessels and small vessels, and sacks too if those are a thing, but I imagine that would make the models a lot more difficult, so maybe limit to a single container type per animal if that would make modeling easier.

I'd be all for this, but requiring a Saddle beforehand.

Leaning towards believability, wouldn't it make more sense to have a pack for a pack mule to wear to carry things?  However, I did see a picture online of a figurine carved of a donkey carrying a barrel and buckets...  As in real life, it would make sense for you to only be able to ride it at this point if it had something like saddlebags.  Can't abuse your livestock, right? :P  You'd think that a couple of loaded pack mules led by ropes would accommodate a large move.

Well yes, it would make sense to have packs for a pack mule, I just wasn't sure if packs would be a thing :)

Check out the proposed camel model for possibilities...

Before the age of trains to handle long distance transport there were pack and draft animals, and boats. Boats were the biggest and best. They would be perfect for transportation between islands. The problem with boats in minecraft is synchronization issues. Bioxx will also not likely make a usable boat since he wants to go the route of portals and path dimensions. You could still have small boats going up rivers but they are often too small to carry more than a chest and can't go up waterfalls. As much as I would love for large boats to be a thing in TFC2, it's just not going to be a thing unless some other modder does it. Eventually islands in TFC2 will have barriers around them but that's only a small hurdle.

This leaves pack and draft animals. The difference between a pack animal and a draft animal is a pack animal carries the weight on their back. This limits how much they can carry. Draft animals pull a cart of some sort which the weight is on. This allows them to move much greater weight. Now from a technical standpoint pack animals are easier because vanilla has them but doesn't have draft animals. Draft animals can be done as they have been done in the past with a lead going from the animal to the cart. This technique however jumps around a lot as anyone who has used a lead would know. I haven't seen this type of mod since 1.7.10 called MC+ Cart Mod. I'm sure it's doable but like boats might take another modder to initiate it. 

Pack animals will definitely be in TFC2. I expect them to be the main form of transport. There will be pack horses, other pack animals we'll have to wait and see. I expect a wholly mammoth and if it could carry a huge load that would be awesome. 

For getting around town and short distances there will be a cart. It looks a lot like a wheel-barrel currently. Couldn't tell you how much it can carry. 

At some point there will most likely be a barrel by popular demand. which will be great for transferring fluids and stuff. In the same vein there will probably be crates. 

Items in containers don't have weight allowing you to pack things in vessels, vessels in crates and barrels, and then be able to put those on pack animals. 

Pulleys would be awesome at some point but I haven't seen those since Better Than Wolves.

9 hours ago, Stroam said:

Items in containers don't have weight...

Is that the actual confirmed plan, long-term?

Just now, Darmo said:

Is that the actual confirmed plan, long-term?

It isn't confirmed at this point and it's always subject to revisal depending on how things develop but it is a feature of the current version posted.

On 6/7/2017 at 7:39 AM, Stroam said:

The problem with boats in minecraft is synchronization issues.

If I'm not mistaken, then it's not an issue anymore. Moreover, boats became so nice, that I LOVE travel on the boat now, I even have made channels on one server, so I could travel easier to my neighbors (nearly 1000 blocks on foot or around 1700 on the boat)  =)

Edited by Yurets1257

57 minutes ago, Yurets1257 said:

If I'm not mistaken, then it's not an issue anymore. Moreover, boats became so nice, that I LOVE travel on the boat now, I even have made channels on one server, so I could travel easier to my neighbors (nearly 1000 blocks on foot or around 1700 on the boat)  =)

I was playing around with them on a vanilla server without any issues but didn't try any large modpack. It's nice to know you aren't having issues. I tried asking that question all over the FTB forums and IRC channels and couldn't get anyone to answer that. I also googled it and didn't find anyone complaining in the last year so figured it was minimal if it existed anymore but when I looked for boat mods I only saw Boatiful and Davinci's Vessels. Boatiful simple filled the second entity slot with a chest and allowed leads and Davinci's isn't out yet. So this lead me to believe that they might not be good enough for modded boats to be lag free, but I guess it's just a product of faster vanilla updated and a shrinking community. It'll be interesting to see what the modding landscape changes as they continue to add in features that traditionally were only held by Mods such as in game recipe look up and the ability to change recipes in the next update.