Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Therighthon

Musk Ox

13 posts in this topic

Alright, I have been putting together a musk ox model, let me know what you guys think. I could maybe try a simpler body, but I find that with thicker animals that makes them look a bit too boxy, which is why I took this route.

MuskOx1.png

MuskOx1.MCModel

MuskOx1.png

I like it.  I like what you did with the body, it's different but I think works well in this case.  I would say, that musk ox are potentially an alternate source of wool, so it'd be good if it were shearable.  It seems like you probably have the texture space.  Although maybe the bodymain box just disappears when sheared, leaving a sleeker look.  That'd save having to do a sheared texture for that box.

I like the horn design, number of boxes seems good.   I'd just say fine-tune the tips so there's not that corner poking out of the middle section.  If we have to have one poke out somewhere, it'd be better if it were on the underside/inside, where it's less visible.    Also the beard looks more like a jaw I think, being tucked into the body and at the same steep angle as the head.  Might want to change the angle somewhere perhaps.  Unless Bioxx has a special trick for making it dangle?  I know I've seen some models that have portions that act like loose cloth.  I think the head may have issues when it tries to look around, since it's so far into the body.     May want to consider pulling it out a bit and adding some sort of neck or something, so that when it looks right and left most of the head doesn't disappear into the shoulder.  Also did you try a 2-pixel eye.  He kind of looks really surprised, I wonder if maybe 2 pixels would be enough?

Edited by Darmo

Well, it's been a while because I couldn't really figure out what to do with the neck. Here is what I decided on, let me know what you think. Basically, the head is a child of the neck and you can rotate both of them when rotating the head to prevent it from going inside the body, or having the neck stick out through the eyes like in some my other attempts at this. As for shearing, this is what it looks like with the main fur box gone. I like it, but I would like to know what you think and if you want me to add boxes to the tops of the legs. The turned head picture is with 30° angles on both the head and neck boxes, which is about as far as the beard box allows for.

MuskOx2.pngMuskOx2Bald.pngMuskOx2Turned.png

MuskOx2Bald.png

MuskOx2.png

MuskOx2.MCModel

Edited by Therighthon
Picture in bad place

That head position seems good.  I can look very far each way and the head stays visible, so I like that.  I think you could make the horn bases larger, so they nearly meet in the middle.  It seems like in most pictures they are very close together.   The neck isn't really doing anything for the head though, it's barely visible at any angle.  I think what you could maybe do with the neck is move it up and make it a ridge just a little bit narrower than the head.  It'll server to emphasize the hump.  A lot of musk ox pictures seem to show a shaggy sort of ridge mane up there. 

So I was looking for pictures of a shaven musk ox and found none.  Turns out you don't shave them.  Musk ox wool is called qiviut.  It's a fine underlayer that is grown every winter, and shed every spring. You either comb out the fibers as they shed, or just collect the clumps that the animal rubs off on stuff. I've attached some pictures of molting musk ox.  It seems like maybe it'd be more appropriate to have some boxes that cap bodymain, bodyshoulder, and bodywool.    So these boxes would be just 1 or 2 pixels larger, and sit a little bit above the body boxes.  They will have transparent textures with lighter long stringy qiviut pieces coming down the sides.  The neck ridge I don't think we'll be able to see the bottom edges, so just make it have a color to match the qiviut boxes.  No need for a cap box for the neck ridge.  Let's just stick with stringy dangling pieces (like the middle photo, with the ox laying down), and not have like, patches hanging around on their own.This will make it so we don't need to worry about upper parts of the legs, fortunately.

If you can only get this once a year, that's much less desireable than a sheep that can be shorn every 24 hrs.    I think we should assume we'll take some liberties with the actual growth pattern, and the player is able to collect it fairly regularly, like the vanilla sheep. 

And, you may want to wait awhile to do these things, in case Bioxx overrules me on how this might work.

Oh, and the nose texture needs some work, but maybe you hadn't gotten to that level of detail yet.

Musk_ox_.jpg

muskoxshedding.jpg

summer_muskox.jpg

Edited by Darmo
To attach the pictures I said I would.

Agreed with Darmo on all accounts.

Okay, I have made some changes, not sure if the neck is what you were suggesting or if you want it higher and thicker.

MuskOxQiviut.pngMuskOx.png

MuskOx.png

MuskOxQiviut.png

MuskOx.MCModel

Ok, finally got computer back online.  As far as the qiviut texture, I was thinking more along the lines of the middle photo above - the one with a lot of qiviut on the back, hanging down in strings.  For a couple reasons. 

MuskOx&Qiuvut.jpg

One, having a patchy back leaves floating edges as shown in the picture above.  This is ok with things like the camel blanket, where it's actually a distinct material from the animal.  But I think for the musk ox, it's better to not have a bunch of exposed floating edges on the top surface, that highlight the separation.  So I think if the top surface were mostly qiviut, that would be good. 

I think the dangling strings of qiviut are the main thing to focus on, for the sides.  The free-floating patches just kind of look odd, like splatters of dirt or something.  We really don't have the fine texture needed to depict them well I think.  So let's just get rid of the floating patches on the sides, and go for hanging strings.  They read better, imho. 

As for the neck, I was thinking something like below:

MuskOxNeck.jpg

A lot of the musk ox pictures, their neck fur seems to form a ridge somewhat like that.  But that's just a suggestion.  What you've got for a neck does work.  

I see you moved the horn bases closer together, which helps, but I do think they'd look better larger.

Alright, I widened the horns' bases, and re-angled them a little bit, as well as bumping up the neck and fixing the qiviut layer.
MuskOx3NQ.pngMuskOx3.png

MuskOx.png

MuskOxQiviut.png

MuskOx.MCModel

Good, good, Ii like what you did with the horns there.  Qiviut coverage might be a little much now, I think it'd be better if it were stringier.  Like the middle photo above.  And maybe use some color to give an impression of stringiness even when you're up above the bottom edge.  Right now it looks rather uniform, like he was dipped in butterscotch.  Also maybe add a little bit to the back of the head, so the transition is not so abrupt.

Alright, seems to look a little less like it was dipped in butterscotch now.

Screenshot_10.png

MuskOxQiviut.png

Definitely better.  I think it would benefit from a more consistent color strategy with regards to the stringy bits.  In the following image, I've circled a couple areas.

Screenshot_10Circ.jpg

The green circle is where you have a couple longer strands being light, and the 'shorter' area between, which does not descend as far, is darker.  This helps it recede, making the longer stringier parts appear to be in the foreground, and emphasizing that you're trying to portray long strands of matted hair, rather than a uniform area of short fur or hide.

The red circled area has the opposite occurring though; a darker strand surrounded by shorter, lighter areas.  I think it's not as good an effect.

I think having the longer strands be lighter, and thus in the foreground, is better, and it would be good if this there were a consistent order to this for all the strands, with the longer being lighter, and the shorter darker.  I think this would strengthen the impression of matted strands of fur.

Looks like I missed responding to this back when I was first starting my move in July, sorry about that!  It looks good to me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0