Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
drkoaeg

Clay working

41 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, ChunkHunter said:

I think for a new minigame, the graphic in the first post now explains the idea well.  As long as you get enough time to click on the boxes to reshape the pot, I don't think it's a problem.

As Darmo says it may simply be a question of sprites changing and a 'fill-up' bar (presumably with a different outline and maybe different sprites for different kinds of pots).

I wasn't proposing a new minigame, just trying to pad out the details of how things work irl.

As for your bulges, Darmo, once the pot starts going out of shape it's difficult to 'train' it back - a novice would have to try over after he picks up all the clay that has exploded on his wheel :D

I have no idea what you can do, if you did the forming wrong on the table. So as you are experienced, what mechanism would you propose. Should the half-made vessel be destroyed or could you somehow fix it or doesn't it even have a major influence and you just will have to adjust in game that those vessels have for example less inventory?

Edited by drkoaeg

As a wood carving myself, I always wonder on how forgiving clay is in comparison. So as in real life I say, if you make a mistake just press reset and start again.

Like if you are making a pot and something goes wrong, there is no reason to make the clay go puff and disappear. All you have to do is start over.

Has someone though to a clay working without a pottery wheel for the beginning?

Before pottery wheels were invented, people made circles of clay and put them one over the other to make the vessels...

I don't know if I have been clear...

I'd assume that the non-wheel alternative is just a clay knapping system like we already have in TFC1.  I think that'll still be the way to go in TFC2, for non-round objects, like the various tool molds.  I think if the wheel is done like drkoaeg's suggestion, you pretty much have to have recipes that can only be done on the wheel.  Because the knapping method would be far faster and if you can do a vessel both ways, I think people will do it the knapping way every time.

But the "knapping" way will be worse.

The jugs and vessels will break often and be less capable if knapped and won't have bonuses based on how it was done.

Oh right, ya, if there's bonuses involved then there's an incentive.  Kind of forgot about that part of the discussion!

I have a different opinion. I think the vessels and jugs are at the moment way too easy to get. They don't have any value, thrown everywhere. But if you must do more effort to achieve these, there is a big influence on game mechanics. I still think the clay knapping should be removed for these.

I have thrown on the wheel many times and it is not as easy as people think or make it look. Also why would the player need to keep the clay centered?  Once it is centered it usually stays that way, the only thing that would make it un centered is the person throwing.

And when someone restarts on throwing they get new clay as the old stuff is too wet to wedge back into a ball for throwing, but once drier the clay can be used.

Edited by TheUnknownSpecimen

7 minutes ago, TheUnknownSpecimen said:

I have thrown on the wheel many times and it is not as easy as people think or make it look. Also why would the player need to keep the clay centered?  Once it is centered it usually stays that way, the only thing that would make it un centered is the person throwing.

And when someone restarts on throwing they get new clay as the old stuff is too wet to wedge back into a ball for throwing, but once drier the clay can be used.

Thank you for this explanation, as some people has already said, the proposed system is not so similar to real pottery. But until now, there was no alternative proposal for a mechanic. As it is proposed, it would make vessels and jugs more value and gives some mini game fun.

I am not a fan of the currently proposed mini game, mostly because I don't know how one would go about coding that for minecraft. The way it is in TFC 1 is okay except mass producing isn't really possible and the 8 logs ever time is expensive. I haven't played around with terramisc yet so don't know how well that kiln improves it. In TFC 1 there is 4 containers and the rest are all molds. The current molds seems perfectly fine to me. You barely use them as is except the ingot mold. The 4 containers bowls, small vessel, large vessel, and clay jugs are the most highly abstracted and happen to be round.

Clay working often requires getting the clay wet so you take your clay and toss a stack of it in the water. It then turns into a single item called wet clay.  You right click wet clay on a solid block and it makes a clay crafting station the same way you make a sandwich table in TFC 1. This would have a slot you could stick your wet clay in, an optional spot for a potters wheel, a spin toggle, output slot, the same grid that TFC 1 clay uses, and a up and down arrow with a number to display the levels 0 through 3. The grid starts out empty and when you click a square it adds clay and subtracts durability from the wet clay. You can also click on the clay to remove it and add durability back to the wet clay. When you have the recipe correct on all 4 levels it'll show the product in the output slot. If pull out the item all the grids clear. So a scythe mold would be level 0 completely full, and then the current pattern in level 1. A potters wheel would enable you to toggle spin on and off. In spin mode it fills in the entire ring in one click. so if you clicked in the center it'd only be one. If you clicked the a square on the outside edge it'd attempt to fill in the entire outside edge, stopping when you run out of wet clay. A significant time saver if you are producing more than one. When you finish making an item it's still wet and needs to dry so set it some where. Once it is dry you can fire it in a pit or in a kiln. If you fire it before it dries you will only get pottery shards. A pottery kin is constructed similar to a bloomery with two additional chambers. 

Exmaple: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By1-lEMv_BuCcFNwdHA4clkwclE/view?usp=sharing

The stairs would be replaced by the vent block. Note the wall block with charcoal on it. It needs charcoal to run. Also note that parts of it require fire bricks. The firing chamber is three long in this example and starts after the firebrick block and stops one before the chimney. This is a cut away to show you the inside. You'd put a wall there with metal trap doors to access the pottery.

I also think ingot molds should be made with sand and not clay. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt18HD-eTX4

Edited by Stroam

Your proposed crafting system could work certainly.  Were you thinking of trying to hook in an actual skill for pottery?

Your pottery kiln as pictured (chiseled chert for sides) requires 23 fire brick blocks.  That's more than a TFC1 blast furnace.  So this would be high tier tech then?  Pit kilns would still be the early game go-to?  Because I'm having a hard time imagining people spending graphite on this before they have a blast furnace.  If the side walls are intended to be fire brick as well, that could double the number.    I'm also not clear how it's better, aside from being fueled by coal.  It appears you still have to tediously place each pot on a block, for a max of 12 at one time for this example?  Or if you toss a stack in will it auto-place them? I'm just not seeing the worth for so much graphite.  Not that graphite has any other use (currently) after you've got a blast furnace and a few crucibles.  To me it'd be more worthwhile if it was an actual GUI, so I could swiftly place in many spots, direct from my inventory, rather than placing them from my hotbar.   Of course, if wood is harder to obtain, per the lumber discussion thread, that may change the calculus I guess.

I think the choice of clay mold may derive in part from this video where they cast a bronze sword in a clay mold. It's a legit method, though sand would probably be easier irl.  But the clay molds fit into a tech tree well.  Clay is low tech.   Personally I'd suggest that sand casting be a high tier process, for casting machinery parts, like gears and so forth.

I can't think of a way to make pottery a worthwhile profession so no skill. It's just not used enough and if you had sand casting pottery would literally be there just to get you by till you have metal and wood. The huge kiln would indeed be a higher tier with the aim of using less fuel, firing more pots at once, and once warmed up cooks them faster. An interface would be nicer then placing and collecting, specially if you were keeping it hot to get the speed bonus during mass production. I don't consider the firebrick expensive because the stuff to make it has no there use and one vein produces so much. You will want your metal structures up first. 

Edited by Stroam
spelling

I guess as long as we're clear it's kind of a prestige structure, sure, sounds fun.  I'm still not entirely clear on how the player accesses them after firing.  A door in one of the side-walls?  Probably wouldn't be able to see every part.  Would have to try to make them 'pop' toward the door, like blooms do maybe?  What if instead of making a little hatch, the player makes a walk door?  Then they can make a room up to 3x3 in size for firing, and they can just walk in afterward?  You could still have the coal chimney thing.  Just have it go into a 2 high room the player can get into.  Actually I guess it could be set up just like you show it, since the firing chamber is 2 high.  But maybe let them expand it to the sides if they have the bricks for it.

Cooking them faster would indeed be a good benefit.  If you're trying to keep it GUI-less, as long as the player could just toss them in the mouth, and they'd automatically be placed, that would negate the tedium of placing.

I really wish the game had more clay architectural products, like ceramic roof and floor tiles.  That could really ramp up the demand for clay, and hence a large and efficient kiln.  As far as graphite, I hear ya.  For those that have played the game a lot, it's not that huge a hurdle.  But for newbs it can be a pretty big one.  Not everyone is super-proficient at propicking and mining. I'm hoping TFC2 will have mechanics that continually use up graphite, so it doesn't become worthless.

Edited by Darmo

I've put a little more thought into the kiln. Instead of a modern kiln which uses mainly firebrick, it can be an Anagama kiln. These were mostly brick fronts with clay and dirt walls and ceiling. In minecraft it would look like this. The charcoal is a place holder, it should be 6 log piles and then you would close to door and use flint and steel on the door. It hold enough to fire 48 pottery at once. Yes you do have to place and break but uses a lot less fuel. The trap doors would be replace by a kiln door to activate the structure. The firebrick parts must be firebrick and the hardened clay must be a form of hardened clay and covered by another non-flammable block. I used dirt in this example. Don't have enough pottery to fill it up? Well good thing it has multiple uses, you can also dry food in it, and turn wood into charcoal!

Edited by Stroam

This looks great, but what do I need lots of pottery for is it storage, decoration, and if it is decoration what kind. I like the idea of tiles and I would like it even better if I can color it. 

The best type of color would probably be glaze. Glaze is a colored glass for putting on ceramics. My suggestion would be cone 6 type glazes, these types come in one color and they are predictable, vs cone ten which can have a range of colors for each glaze type. For example blue flambé turns blue with random red streaks. 

Glazes like ceramic objects need to be sent through a kiln making the above mentioned structure of even more use.

13 hours ago, Stroam said:

it can be an Anagama kiln.

Seems kind of complex in structure, but whatever the devs are up for coding I guess.

Unknown, I would imagine there being a natural terracotta color, and then several glazes matching the dyes available in game.  TFC1 has glazes for pots already, although for some inexplicable reason they don't fully cover the pots.  Hopefully for architectural stuff you'd get full coverage.