Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
dabman10

TFC Team Survival Battle

110 posts in this topic

Yea that is actually good!

lets see what deviator means.

Sounds like an interesting concept. I'd like to join you guys, however, my schedule can get pretty tight. I am capable of HD recording if need be.

Well if we livestream and record it, we could get more people to know and get interested in TFC.

Btw they might even want to try this game

Edit: "@Deviator what are we gonna name the game?"

I am not the one who started the thread. I just posted about the ore fairness issue.

I am not the one who started the thread. I just posted about the ore fairness issue.

oops...

i mean Dabman.

That's what I figured but I had seen my name in 3 different places referring to me as the owner of this thread and I didn't want to take credit for good ideas someone else had lol

lol :unsure:

That migth have been me...

Sorry Dabman... -_-

But Deviator do you have an idea now we that we are in need of ideas unless Dabman already got one.

My beef with this concept is the lack of balance. I think we can all agree that we have a good time in competitive gaming when things are fun and fair. If one side has the upper hand, such as richer or differing ores, they will most likely win.

This is my prediction of what would happen in a unbalanced game:

Someone said that if one of the sides is disadvantaged, then they are forced to Zerg Rush the enemy team, with what, leather armor and stone tools? I will refer to the disadvantaged team as "blue steel" and advantaged team as "red steel".

You do realize that leather armor is a pain in the ass to make, because cows sometimes don't drop enough leather, plus 15 minutes is not long enough to make 8 sets of leather armor, considering cows need to be farmed, and with the current breeding setup, which is you must wait a minecraft day for another breeding, you would only have enough time for a few sets of armor.

For weapons they would be limited to Javelins and bows, if they have enough arrows. The red steel would probably have decent armor at the start of the match if they have a speedy smith who knows all the combos. If said team camped their well fortified base, they could easily pick off the rushing blue steel team with their own javelins. Blue steel team needs armor to survive the onslaught.

Now if the blue steel team defended instead, they would still be disadvantaged. Red steel would have enough armor to surive the hail of javelins, probably being able to breach the defenses and pillaging the base with their swords.

Javelins are terrible melee weapons.

For me, if things are too easy, I don't have an enjoyably time. I relish challenge, and the only way to get a challenge without it being expert-mode-through-the-fire-and-the-flames, is to have a 100% balanced map.

I suggest the following:

1. Instead of having ores spawning normally, have multi-layered dungeon under each side of the map with chests containing the ores. Lower tier metals would be at the top of the dungeon, while gold and silver at the bottom.

• This would keep things fair and based solely on the teams ability to cooperate in a dungeon and loot effectively.
  • The dungeon would be designed in a way that it would be neigh impossible to loot the lower levels without having better tools and armor.
  • Borax and cinnabar would be on both sides regardless.
Example:

Base

_______

| Tin |

|Copper|

| Iron |

| Silver |

| Gold |

2. Raise the pre-game time limit to 30 minutes. This would give each team ample time to loot the first few layers of the dungeon and construct a base.

Optional Stuff:

The following is assuming that red steel and blue steel are perfect equivalent

To keep things definitive and a bit more fun is by having Blue Steel specific ores only spawning on the Blue side, and Red Steel specific ores spawning on the red side;

e.g. silver and bismuth on Blue Steel side, gold and zinc on Red Steel side.

To correspond with the Blue and Red, the stone on each side should be chalk and shale respectively.

Well that's my input on it.

There is no unfair advantage. After the first 15 minutes everyone is free to roam wherever they want. If you want to dig close to their chosen home base, go for it. Nothing is stopping you from taking whatever ores you need, no matter where they are. The only restrictions are in that first 15 minutes when you cannot cross sides... after that it is fair game.

Well fair does simply not exist no one ever had the same thing!

you don't earn the exact same amount of money as i do, we dont have the same stuff! Fair does not exist! :mellow:

Nothing is fair! everyone has more of some speacial thing then another!

Wars have never been fair! and so will this game never be! it doesnt matter if you make them having the exact same stuff.

Some people have more experience then others, is that fair?

No but you must try to win anyway!

My point is no matter how big someones advantage is, you can always win. :)

Incompatibility,

You're definitely right about fairness. For the sake of testing, it will much easier to just 'try it out' on a random generated map, since it doesn't require much set up. If it's any fun at all, I could see a final version of this game being played on an arena-style or mirrored map for balance issues. Since people who like survival play this mod though, I can see the 'randomness' being a challenge and gameplay element. Maybe we can have the ref announce when a team finds an ore:). Take what you don't have!

I love the name of the game. It sounds like we'll have plenty of people to at least test it as a 3v3 or 4v4. Does anyone play on a beta server? If so, it would be great if you could ask them if we could use a section of their server to test this out.

There is no unfair advantage. After the first 15 minutes everyone is free to roam wherever they want. If you want to dig close to their chosen home base, go for it. Nothing is stopping you from taking whatever ores you need, no matter where they are. The only restrictions are in that first 15 minutes when you cannot cross sides... after that it is fair game.

The team with the ores could simply just mine all the low tier ores to deny the enemy of any metal at all. Even if somehow the disadvantaged team managed to get past the advantaged team's defenses (considering the fact that you can see names through blocks, and crouch won't help because that will make you too slow and possibly lose your chance to ninja enemy ores) all they could get would be copper, iron, gold, etc. stuff they can't use. Now all the advantaged team has to do is storm into the enemy base and steal their ores back - which they could very well accomplish if their team was organized enough - and it would be game over from there.

I can't fathom why anyone would agree to play a game where their enemies will be advantaged FROM THE BEGINNING, and they can't do anything about for 15 min.

Well fair does simply not exist no one ever had the same thing!

you don't earn the exact same amount of money as i do, we dont have the same stuff! Fair does not exist! :mellow:

Nothing is fair! everyone has more of some speacial thing then another!

Wars have never been fair! and so will this game never be! it doesnt matter if you make them having the exact same stuff.

Some people have more experience then others, is that fair?

No but you must try to win anyway!

My point is no matter how big someones advantage is, you can always win. :)

So you're telling me that if one team has all stone-age tools, and another has red steel, the stone-age can win?

I'm sorry but that isn't believable at all, and don't even involve skill in this, besides there isn't much skill involved in minecraft combat anyway, except maybe bows. All you do is spam left click, and guess what, javelins have terrible durability.

The point is, I realize that stuff can't be fair, but in a competitive situation where people's enjoyment depends on how well they do, it must be fair. Map wise, games like League of Legends and StarCraft are highly competitive games and all maps on LoL are mirrored. On StarCraft 2, games that are advertised and have announcers are played on balanced maps. The only thing that affects the game's outcome is the player's personal skill and experience (and champion choice or race).

Take something from those games and at least balance the maps. Let the winner be decided by skill, not by the amount of resources each one may have.

Incompatibility,

You're definitely right about fairness. For the sake of testing, it will much easier to just 'try it out' on a random generated map, since it doesn't require much set up. If it's any fun at all, I could see a final version of this game being played on an arena-style or mirrored map for balance issues. Since people who like survival play this mod though, I can see the 'randomness' being a challenge and gameplay element. Maybe we can have the ref announce when a team finds an ore:). Take what you don't have!

I love the name of the game. It sounds like we'll have plenty of people to at least test it as a 3v3 or 4v4. Does anyone play on a beta server? If so, it would be great if you could ask them if we could use a section of their server to test this out.

I agree with you, but if we want to play a REAL game, someone will have to construct an arena, something I wouldn't mind doing.

Random Idea: Maybe I random places about the map there be chest with several low tier ores in them. So even if one team can't find any starter ores the still have a chance at getting past the stone age.

Random Idea: Maybe I random places about the map there be chest with several low tier ores in them. So even if one team can't find any starter ores the still have a chance at getting past the stone age.

I don't have a problem with randomization as long as both sides have the same randomization.

So you mean as long as they have the same kind of biomes its ok?

I would also like to join up in a test run if it is not to late. :D

I don't have a problem with randomization as long as both sides have the same randomization.

Yeah like each side has 5 small chests with either Bismuth ore (Forgot the name) Cassiterite or Zinc In random amounts.

Edit: My IGN is iizorro

I would also like to join up in a test run if it is not to late. :D

Yeah like each side has 5 small chests with either Bismuth ore (Forgot the name) Cassiterite or Zinc In random amounts.

Edit: My IGN is iizorro

I think it would be better if the chests had the same amount of ore on each side, but in random spots.

EDIT: Because remember, one side could get 50 copper, while the other only gets 5

I think it would be better if the chests had the same amount of ore on each side, but in random spots.

EDIT: Because remember, one side could get 50 copper, while the other only gets 5

So random ore generation is unfair but random ore chests are not? You have just as much chance of finding a random chest as a random ore, and you can still go steal the other sides ore chests much easier. This game isn't supposed to be easy. Fight for your survival, don't have it handed to you lol.

So random ore generation is unfair but random ore chests are not? You have just as much chance of finding a random chest as a random ore, and you can still go steal the other sides ore chests much easier. This game isn't supposed to be easy. Fight for your survival, don't have it handed to you lol.

What I am saying is that as long as each side has access to the SAME resources, I could care less where they are. Of course it has to be reasonable and not cassiterite at bedrock on one side while it's right on the surface on the other.

EDIT: Like I have reiterated a thousand times before, one side getting all the resources is severly unbalanced and WILL turn the game into their favor in a heartbeat. I don't games that are unbearably hard or extremely easy, which is what will happen with your suggestions.

Well lets test the game and findout what works best ;) get out of the theory and help us make a great game! :)

We're about to plan something in the weekend the time is not decided yet. ;)

Edit: Well it's only an testrun for now.