Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xmagomanco

Cinnabar, and now mercury: more utilities to these

2 posts in this topic

Currently cinnabar is one of the non-realistic things of terrafirmacraft, basically is a excuse to add redstone in that (as dust of cinnabar).

No, I don't suggest remove this, never. Redstone is important.

I suggest add mercury, quicksilver or hydrargyrum (several names of the same element, Hg); reasoned by that cinnabar is mercury sulfide.

Extraction of mercury or quicksilver:

Although mercury is a liquid metal at room temperature, her ore, cinnabar, must be cooked at big temperature (at least, similar to lead fusion point) to be separated from sulphur.

This metal would be extracted in ceramic vessel and the crucible, the main problem is the storage. Mercury droplets may be would be stored in ceramic vessels.

Obvious utility: almalgation and bigger extraction of gold-type metals.

One of the first good uses of mercury was the almalgation and better extraction of metals like gold and silver. Others metals as copper, tin, lead, zinc and platinum can be almalgated, but difficultly.

So the first utility of this metal is the refining of ores to obtain more gold, copper, tin, zinc, lead and silver from these.

This metal would be put in the crucible, after, when a ore is added to the mix, there is probabilities to obtain more metal than commonly or even extra metals.

These are all the suggested cases:

- Copper: 10% more copper, a 2,5~5% probability of obtain also a zinc, silver or gold unit.

- Tin: 10% to 15% more tin.

- Lead: 10% probability of obtain a tin unity, 2,5~5% probability of obtain a silver or gold unit.

- Zinc: 5% probability of obtain a tin unit.

In each smelt of ore, one of the used mercury unities has a probability of 15% of disappear, of evaporate.

In the other hand, mercury could be mixed with gold, silver or copper to obtain molded parts easily, ie, without use the crucible or ceramic vessel. Obviously, this does not work with iron and can not be used to obtain alloys.

Thanks for read.

The problem here is one of economy.  We don't know yet how ore yields will be in TFC2, but let's put this in context of TFC1.  I go to all the effort of mining all this mercury ore, smelting it down to get mercury, all for 5-10% more of certain ores.  The efficiency ration would have to be immense to make this worthwhile.  I.e. 1-2 units of mercury to obtain 5-10% bonus of those metals.  Otherwise, instead of mining mercury it would be far more efficient for me to simply spend that time mining more of the metals I actually want.   This is kind of the same issue with saltpeter currently - it's debatable whether it's worth spending the time making gunpowder, vs just spending that time mining out the area by hand. 

Now in the context of TFC2, it may be possible that it's much harder to find certain metals, given that each 4k square island will be a single layer of a single type of stone.   But at the same time, if I have found *some* copper ore, or tin, or zinc, then that means I've found an entire island that can spawn that stuff (unless raw ores can be found in treasure chests in fortresses).  So why not just find another vein?  In the current TFC, redstones spawn mostly in the same rocks that give native copper.  If that remains the case in TFC2, then it's definitely going to be better to just find more copper.  Even for silver, I'd rather have fun exploring till I find an island with silver, rather than smelt thousands of times more copper than I'll ever need, just to pick up measly amounts of silver.

'Realism' is all well and good, but how will it affect gameplay?  The mechanic needs to be balanced and useful, otherwise it's just a waste of time.  Personally I would see mercury as better used in alchemy/potion making, and maybe as a quenching bath for high tier metal smithing.  I would love for it to be required to make plate glass, but glass probably just isn't useful enough as it is to justify that.   Instead it might be used to form plates of high tier lightweight metals, or to make mirrors for....reasons...magic?...Idk.  But marginal metal bonuses sound like a waste of time to me unless the ore situation is changing quite drastically in TFC2.

Edited by Darmo

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0