Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

32 posts in this topic

Here are the size, shape, and proportions of the lynx model, but with only a winter-time Canadian lynx skin.  There are more tail segments that are transparent which can be used for a bobcat skin and an African lynx skin:

v5e5ad.png

I'll wait to see what everyone has to say before continuing.

CanadaLynx.png

Lynx01.MCModel

I think the whiskery-mane part needs to be made smaller by a pixel or two. The neck feels a little bit too long as well, and the ears are a little complicated, but I think they work for the lynx. Also, I feel like the bobcat at least should have a separate model with shorter legs and without the extra point on the ears.

6 hours ago, Therighthon said:

I think the whiskery-mane part needs to be made smaller by a pixel or two. The neck feels a little bit too long as well, and the ears are a little complicated, but I think they work for the lynx. Also, I feel like the bobcat at least should have a separate model with shorter legs and without the extra point on the ears.

I'm not so sure I agree about the leg thing.  I mean, they have different sizes for different parts, and the Canada Lynx has longer back legs than front legs, but the different is negligible once it has a winter coat.  The bobcat's legs look shorter when the lynx has a summer coat on, because the legs are thicker; however, the legs look perhaps even thicker than a bobcat's on the lynx when it's winter:
lyx-vs-bobcat2.jpg

I would think that the difference with the legs is not sufficient to require a different model, in that the legs aren't made with that detail to begin with, being that I thought we weren't going in that direction with body parts, but only trying to do them "Minecraft-style", if you would.  So, I didn't include feet or anything, but just made straight-ish legs with joints for the knees and that's all.  You know what I mean?  (Now, if anyone wants me to add fat paws, I would gladly do that too.)

However, I can see what you're saying with the face tufts, and I think the reason that I made them bigger was because I had to make the eyes slightly bigger and wider apart to fit with the pixelation properly.  In other words, the tufts were to handle part of the head width, but it does end up looking just a little too wide, especially being that the model is already a little bulky.  I think also with the neck is that the body box is further out from the shoulder than it would be naturally, because it's squared.  So, although the neck-to-head length ratio is correct, it doesn't look right.

I'll fix those two things and re-upload to see what everyone thinks! :)

OK, I also fixed the ears, as they had a weird problem because of how I tried to make them.  Now they should be better for animation and texturing, although of course still possibly flawed in that I don't know how else to make a more triangle-shaped ear that doesn't look like a bear ear or something.

CanadaLynx2.png

Lynx02.MCModel

Edited by KronoNomikon
to add files

So, ive had a hard drive explosion.  Working on fixing, but I don't have Mcmc.  Just phone and tablet, both of which I hate typing on.  So I won't be of a lot of help for probably several days.  I can't tell enough about cheek tufts or ears from that picture.  I definitely don't think we need two separate models though.  They're close enough in form.

6 hours ago, Darmo said:

So, ive had a hard drive explosion.  Working on fixing, but I don't have Mcmc.  Just phone and tablet, both of which I hate typing on.  So I won't be of a lot of help for probably several days.  I can't tell enough about cheek tufts or ears from that picture.  I definitely don't think we need two separate models though.  They're close enough in form.

So sorry to hear that, Darmo! :(

If you like, I could e-mail you any extras that you want, such as other screenshots and all of that.  I've been working on a bobcat / eurasian lynx skin, and plan on dividing it up to make the two distinct when it's almost completed, as most of the difference is in the spotting.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow before sending anything however, as I must go to work in a few minutes here.

Ok, things are finally back in order here, I think.  I like the look of things, I just wish the model had been built smaller.  It's at double scale right now and I think there was room to have made the overall model smaller.  It's going to have more apparent detail than other models of similar size.  That said, I was awol for a while, and you've already put a lot of work into the two textures, and I like the structure generally speaking, so we can roll with it at the scale it is at I think.   But, some minor criticisms:

The ear tips, I see, are a large area which is mostly transparent in the current textures.  I assume this is for use in an african lynx texture, since they have rather long, and somewhat curved, ear tips.  However African lynxes have very different apparent body proportions from the other two - probably mainly due to having less fur, but still, they look very different.  So I'm going to ask that if you want to do an african lynx, it be a separate model with thinner legs and smaller head.  In that context, I'd also ask that you reduce the ear tip plane size for the bob-lynx to be minimal,  1 pixel wide, and  long enough for the lynx, with the bobcat having transparent part to reduce length.  Also more nearly centered in the ear.If you do do this model, you might want to consider also making it work for an ocelot, which Bioxx has requested, and has a similar enough look I think.  My earlier size comments notwithstanding, the ocelot would  probably need the body size of the bob-lynx model, in order to do the texture well.

I also feel like the bobcat cheek fluff is still a bit too large.

Also both have  some pixels below the eyes (or maybe supposed to be part of the eyes?) that I think aren't really necessary. I think 2x1 eyes would be plenty.  To me they kind of look like they have makeup under their eyes, like a football(American football) player.

Edited by Darmo

2hnz8ns.png

OK, so there is the cat.  I was trying to avoid the squinty look that the Minecraft cats have, but if I use four pixels and color them appropriately (I tried new colors), they look too large.  Also, I trimmed the hair and fixed the ears.  I was going to do an Iberian lynx also and see if you wanted anything else skin-wise.  It's better to have a variety to choose from, and if someone doesn't like some skins (or bioxx especially), then they don't have to be used --- but the option to have them is good as well, in addition to having a better perspective.

I also fixed the eyes in a similar manner on the other lynx skin as this one.

Also, I could do a smaller version if it doesn't look right scaled in-game.  I have an .xcf file with some layers, so it wouldn't be as difficult for the body as it seems, even if I tried to rework what was already there.

I think the eyes are much better this way.  If we're being honest cats are just sneaky and shifty by nature, I think it works well.    The cheek fur, it is kind of difficult to read in a still picture, with the body behind.   Though if I'm reading it right I think it's better.  I think the bobcat tips could probably stand to be a pixel shorter.  They just don't have the long tips like proper lynxes.  The legs are a bit thick for a bobcat perhaps, but in the interest of keeping a common model, I think we can probably live with them as they are. 

If you want to do another texture, that's fine.  As you say Bioxx may or may not want to make that many lynxes, so it's kind of your risk.  But I think as long as they have different climatic preferences, they're more likely to make it in game.  So maybe arctic lynx for arctic, Iberian for sub-arctic, bobcat for temperate, ocelot sub-tropical, 'african' lynx for tropical?  That would be 5 lynxes for 5 zones.

Did you want it to instead be a smaller model?  I did a quick shrink-down because of how it was originally meant to be smaller, but I accidentally made it larger than was intended because of the details:

Untitled.png

Definitely much more in scale, I appreciate the effort of making a resized model.  But they eyes...he's got the derpy eyes.  That's not great for a predator, imo.  Though a lynx is kind of a small predator - not even sure if he'd be programmed to be aggressive toward a player.   I'm looking at pictures of vanilla ocelot and despite having the same eye configuration, he doesn't look as derpy.  I wonder if that is in part because his snout is shorter.  Lynxes do have very short snouts.  Right now the smaller lynx just looks like he's staring at the end of his nose.  Can we try a couple things?  Maybe a version with nose as-is, but with just single black pixel eyes at the outside edges?  And then separately, a version with the eyes as they are, but the snout shorter, and perhaps squared up with the face?

Slight nose reduction, and then I toyed around with eyes at either distance, with or without whites etc., and this seems to look the best:

Untitled2.png

Hmm, dunno, still derpy, just the other way.  Could I get a model and texture to examine?  I can't help thinking the inward eyes, with a 1-pixel long snout, might help.  Vanilla cats have that same basic format  (5x4 face, 2 wide eyes with pupil inward, 3x2 snout) and I think the short nose makes it so rather than looking like they're staring at the end of their nose, they're looking beyond the nose.  May also help to square it up a bit more.

Here you go.

EDIT: Since posting, I messed around with it, and it does indeed look better with the shorter nose for some reason.

LynxSmall00.MCModel

CanadaLynxLittle.png

Unt3.png

Edited by KronoNomikon
Adding picture

Yep, same as vanilla cats.  It goes from derpy to kind of cute with the inset pupils.  If you don't mind redoing the skins Krono, I think this one will be more in scale.

Edited by Darmo

OK, here it is with the two skins, perhaps to be modified, and the bobcat coming after; I crunched up the new texspace so that it uses skins of half the height:

LynxSmall01.MCModel

CanadaLittle.png

IberianLittle.png

I noticed that the  cheek planes (FluffR and FluffL) are way oversize now.  Without a texture loaded it looks like a frilled lizard.    Might as well reduce them for the new size.   Also, there's a TailAfrican Box.    If the plan is to make a separate model for the african lynx, that box should go as well.

OK, so did Bioxx want an African Lynx skin?  I forget...  Anyway, here are the updates:

-Resized/remapped tufts

-positioned the ears more properly

-deleted African Lynx tail segment

-completed the following skins:

• Canada Lynx
  • Iberian Lynx
  • Bobcat

BobcatLittle.png

CanadaLittle.png

IberianLittle.png

LynxSmall02.MCModel

I don't recall Bioxx expressing a desire one way or another on the African lynx.  I believe I'd suggested a separate model would be good due to their appearing to have longer (less fluffy) bodies and legs (it could also work for an ocelot).  But if you just wanted to do a skin for this model it'd probably suffice.  Changes look good to me.

Edited by Darmo

Well, there's not much to it.  I tried to make it a little rough, but within reason.  The ears are slightly bigger, as they should be, and though the body is longer, as is the tail, the legs are almost as thick.  The body is somewhat more slender, in keeping with the look of the cat.

Here:

Caracal.png

Caracal.MCModel

Untitled.png

Looks pretty good, I like the face pattern a lot.  Did you try thinner legs, maybe 2x2?  They're the same as lynx legs right now, and look rather puffy for a desert/jungle animal, imo.

I did, but they looked a little too thin in my estimation.  It's difficult when you're working with such small numbers... I mean, going to 2x2 is 66% of the length and width, and that's a very significant decrease.  If you want, we could go with that, though.  I just want everyone to like it, really. ;)

I thought they looked better at 2x2.  More svelte, but still not overly thin.