Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ElJere2706

Food taste comparison

8 posts in this topic

So, I have finally reached Master on my cooking skill, and I have been working towards making a "perfect sandwich" (i.e. a sandwich with perfect sweetness, perfect sourness, perfect saltiness, perfect bitterness and perfect savoriness). So far, I have taken note of all the stats of all the food items available to me, both brined and not brined, salted and not salted, at all their cooking stages. The best i have come up with is this:

Sandwich A

Perfectly sweet (4)

Perfectly sour (0)

Not very salty (-18)

Perfectly bitter (-3)

Perfectly savory (-1)

Sandwich B

Perfectly sweet (2)

Moderately sour (-5)

Overly salty (9)

Perfectly bitter (-4)

Perfectly savory (-2)

My question is: is it better to have four "perfectly" stats and one off by quite a bit (-19) or is it better to have three "perfectly" stats and two off by not so much (-5 and 9)??

Thanks to anyone who can help shed some light on this matter.

The cutoff for getting benefits based on taste is a distance of 10. So any flavor that had a number larger than 10 has no bonus at all for that flavor. With that restriction alone, sandwich B is better because all its flavors give a bonus. If instead sandwich A had 10 for salty instead of 18, so all flavors gave bonus for both,  you would compare them by adding the distance from perfect, and better is a smaller number.

Oh, that helps a lot, thanks!! I will disregard any 10+ stat from now on.

When you say that "you would compare them by adding the distance from perfect", you mean that I should add the absolute value of each flavor, right? Not paying attention to weather it's below or above 0, only paying attention to the number. So, for sandwich B, it would be 2+|-5|+9+|-4|+|-2|=22. Right?

Edited by ElJere2706
Misspell

7 hours ago, ElJere2706 said:

Oh, that helps a lot, thanks!! I will disregard any 10+ stat from now on.

When you say that "you would compare them by adding the distance from perfect", you mean that I should add the absolute value of each flavor, right? Not paying attention to weather it's below or above 0, only paying attention to the number. So, for sandwich B, it would be 2+|-5|+9+|-4|+|-2|=22. Right?

You're right add the absolute numbers - those are the "differences from perfect".
So your sandwich A gives you 4+0+18+3+1=26, and sandwich B gives you 2+5+9+4+2=22
22 < 26, so that is a better sandwich

But the fact that numbers above 10 have no effect is very useful information indeed :)

Maybe we could also think about it in terms of percentage and average. Keeping in mind that taste influences a food's saturation, and that 10 is the limit, maybe we could see it this way:

Flavor (0) = 100% saturation

Flavor (+-1) = 90% saturation

Flavor (+-2) = 80% saturation

Flavor (+-3) = 70% saturation

Flavor (+-4) = 60% saturation

Flavor (+-5) = 50% saturation

Flavor ( > +-10)= 0% saturation

Therefore, in the case of sandwich B, We'd have (80%+50%+10%+60%+80%)/5 = 56% saturation.

With this perfect sandwich, I have to know, how long can you go on without eating before hunger hits again? Does it really make a worthwhile notable difference to a player not skilled in cooking?

A horrible tasting sandwich with full weight of ingredients is 10 ounces. In general, the player's hunger depletes at a rate of about 1 ounce per in-game hour. You do also lose hunger for breaking blocks and filling the goldpan, but it's a very small amount (0.001 for per block broken and half that for gold pan filled), so I'm just going to ignore it in this comparison for sake of simplicity. I'm also going to say that the player never sleeps in this comparison, so you don't have to factor in the fact that hunger drains at half the rate for hours spent sleeping. Satisfaction in this case is essentially just a direct extension of the hunger bar. So any amount put towards satisfaction can be treated just like extra ounces in your stomach.

Sandwiches, unlike individual ingredients or salads also have a filling multiplier of 1.25. So a horrible sandwich with full weight for all ingredients is going to fill you up with 12.5 ounces of hunger bar.

All food has a default "taste factor" of 0.85, which is then increased for tastier food. For individual ingredients, this directly affects the number of ounces that are filled in your hunger bar. So if you eat 5 ounces of a single horrible tasting ingredient, the food will lose 5 ounces of weight, but your hunger bar and nutrition will only fill as if you had eaten 4.25 ounces. For sandwiches and salads, it does not affect the number of ounces that are filled in your hunger bar, and instead affects how much saturation you are given. So that full 10 ounce disgusting sandwich with no additional taste factor other than the default 0.85 will give the player 2.83 ounces worth of satisfaction.

So in all, the horrible sandwich has a total of 12.5 ounces hunger, plus 2.83 ounces satisfaction, meaning that it will last 15.33 in-game hours, or about 12 minutes 47 seconds.

An absolutely perfect piece of food that matches the player's taste profile exactly has a taste factor of 1.35. So a full 10 ounce absolutely perfect sandwich will give the player 4.5 ounces worth of satisfaction.

So in all, the absolutely perfect sandwich has a total of 12.5 ounces of hunger, plus 4.5 ounces satisfaction, meaning that it will last 17 in-game hours, or about 14 minutes 10 seconds.

So overall, the difference between a single horrible sandwich and an absolutely perfect one is about 83 seconds. This may not seem like much, but the cap on satisfaction is 10 ounces, so eating two perfect sandwiches back to back when you are just about starving will just about completely max out both hunger and satisfaction, and take 33 in-game hours to deplete. Eating two horrible sandwiches back to back when you are just about starving will take 29.66 in-game hours to deplete. So the difference between horrible and perfect for a starving player is about 2 minutes 47 seconds. 

Another way to look at it is the difference in satisfaction between two horrible and two perfect sandwiches is about the same amount that you drain sleeping through the night.