Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
RandomASCII

Questions About The Model Creator

6 posts in this topic

I know what you're thinking, "this isn't really off topic". And if I was right about your thinking being that, you're right. Problem is, I had no idea where I should post this.

To get to the point, I've not been terribly active on the forums due to things that came up which would probably be best discussed in depth elsewhere. The first things I noticed are the edition of a download link for an "MC Model Creator". and a topic on "development" of TFC 2. The Development section seems to just be contributions for models using this MC Model Creator tool. Thankfully, most of this is self explanatory. Based on what I could find on the forums, it's just a model creation tool used to create animal models for TFC2. There's three things I could not find over the course of searching the forum for an hour. Could this be incompetence on my part? Sure. I don't deny that possibility. I just don't want it to seem like I'm making a post about something I put zero effort into figuring out myself.

The three things I never got an answer for are as follows: When was the decision made to start using this tool? How does one qualify to use it? (what little I could gather from individual posts implied that work on these models is not open to the public, but is open to whoever is approved by one of the devs) Was this something that was made by the TFC devs themselves, or is this a 3rd party tool the devs have decided to use for mod development?

Again, forgive me if this is supposed to be common knowledge and I've somehow missed something obvious. I'm a bit taken aback by the effort I put into looking for information, only for it to seem like something that magically appeared if I didn't know better.

Bioxx decided to create the tool when he first started working on mobs for TFC2. There really weren't any other good alternatives out there for the Minecraft 1.8 rendering, so it was easier to just make his own. You are welcome to make your own models and submit them via private message for approval. You will likely have better luck getting a response if you send your message to Darmo instead of just to Bioxx or myself.

Hi RandomASCII.  I'm overseeing the modeling efforts for TFC2.  I'm not a dev - I can't code - but I can do models and textures.  After Dunk left I volunteered to help make models for TFC2, and now I'm spearheading this modeling stuff so Bioxx and Kitty can focus on what they do best - coding.   Bioxx gave me the authority to handle vetting of new volunteers, and direct the artistic effort - several other excellent modelers have joined since then.  But it *is* an application process, not just any submission is accepted.   You should pm me and I'll fill you in on the requirements.  If you haven't already, you should read the MCMC tutorial, and texturing tutorial, in this MCMC forum.   You will also want to read the TFC2 modeling guidelines post.

Thanks, @Kittychanley and @Darmo, for the clarification. I've got a few ideas in mind that I might be able to take a crack at. So far, my only complaint about MCMC is what seems to be the ability to modify the shape of the blocks with the mouse instead of manually entering dimensions into the keyboard, but that's only what I gathered from playing around for a minute without actually RTFM'ing before I went in. I would say something about the apparent use of DirectX 11, since WINE doesn't yet have complete support for that, but I thought I remembered Bioxx is working on a Linux build, so I don't have a reason to complain. Thankfully, the iGPU in the one Windows device I still own is enough for this, so it's not stopping me from making models.

11 hours ago, RandomASCII said:

So far, my only complaint about MCMC is what seems to be the ability to modify the shape of the blocks with the mouse instead of manually entering dimensions into the keyboard

You can do both.   You can manually enter the numbers, and you can also click on a number field and drag the mouse up or down to raise or lower the number.   If you meant actually drag the shape borders in the modeling window, no, it doesn't have that.  Also the click and drag only changes it by whole numbers, not decimals.   There's a few other minor quirks, but it's still the best option out there that I've seen.

I would suggest contacting me before getting too far into a model.  We have done quite a lot of animals already - including several that were pre-development-forum, so you won't find them there.  If you contact me and let me know what you're thinking of doing, I can tell you if any of it has been done.