Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
mr_trousers

[Solved] Can't feed animals

14 posts in this topic

So this is odd, it was working about half an hour ago but now isn't. I have a pig and a sheep, and barley grain. I go and shift right-click with the grain. Before, it would feed them 5oz and then afterwards, further tries would be greeted with the "the animal won't let you do that" message. But now, neither of these things happen. Shift right-clicking will just make me start eating the grain. When I try while already full so I can't eat it, just nothing happens - no feeding, no "can't do that" message. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have particles turned off? It sounds like you've capped out their familiarity and now you are just breeding them.

If it had been successful, that would have been the fourth or so time I fed them. When I would shift and look at the sheep (who is the one I'd actually been trying to familiarize) the heart was barely filled, not even to the point of the white border, so they're not maxed out.

However, (and I probably should have mentioned this), this is on a server. When I just got back on, it looks like the familiarity meter has increased significantly since previously, and I can feed them now, so maybe the server was just lagging somehow and those feedings still registered. However, when I first found the sheep, I originally could use a knife on the unfamiliarized sheep and it would tell me that the animal wouldn't let me do that. But by the time I got it back to base and was feeding it, right click with a knife had no effect, like feeding also ended up. Now that feeding is working, shearing is still doing nothing. Maybe I'm just missing something on how shearing works, though.

If the sheep isn't sufficiently familiarised, it should come with the "this animal won't let you do that" message if you attempt to shear it.

Have you discussed this issue with your server admins?  It does look like lag tbh.

lol - sorry...

I can't really help you I'm afraid...

An update: I decided to try spawning sheep in and using spawned in shears and stuff to see if my knife was broken or my sheep was broken or something. I spawned in a new TFC sheep, fed it a couple times, and... well it worked, I was able to shear the new sheep. So I guess I somehow found a broken sheep. The only visible difference between the two was that the familiarity icon for the broken sheep I found was unhelpfully mostly hidden inside of the sheep. With the one I spawned in, it was hovering far above him. Dunno if any of that means anything.

Edited by mr_trousers

Have you ever used the /time set day command or anything like that on the server or edited the configs to change the year length? Especially with your comment about the location of the familiarity icon, it sounds like the server time got rolled back and your sheep actually think its a baby, which is why you can't do any of the interactions with it.

Yes, I switched the year length from 96 days to 360 days a couple days after server start. Sounds like that's the problem. Will any thusly affected animals eventually grow up - say, after 12 months for the sheep, since that's its usual juvenile period - or are their internal clocks too messed up that they'll be stuck in a weird perpetual childhood thing, and I should just replace any animals I see affected like that?

Is usually recommended to create a new world after making major config changes.

Terrafirmacraft was developed for survival mode. It takes very bad to any creative commands.

It is best to avoid even commands like Time set day. 

In our servers what we do is to first test all the config options and set it to our liking, then we create a new world.

That's certainly the smart way to do it. Unfortunately, we're a bit too far into it now to do it for this playthrough. I'm not too keen on sudden restarts after the hours that have been invested. But definitely if I'm ever starting a game again, I'll make sure all the config is decided ahead of time haha.

Thanks for the help, all. I imagine I'll just delete and respawn any animals we have problems with, from now on.

I'd suggest either cheating in replacement animals or using NBTEdit in game tool. https://github.com/AnodeCathode/NBTEdit/releases

Look at the animals and run /nbtedit you'll see all the animals data. I'd suggest setting age to -200. Age is the game day they were born. Naturally spawned animals have a negative age so they are adults on generation.