Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
creeperCuller

What the Heck is Redstone Ore?

12 posts in this topic

In modded Minecraft, redstone is often depicted as some by product of cinnabar. But redstone's properties are not similar  to those of cinnabar. Cinnabar is basically mercury ore, nothing very special about it, where as redstone is some sort of piezoelectric crystal. I say this because it's often powered when something bends and warps it, like a button pressing down on it or a lever bending it. 

I figured that, due to it's interesting properties and it's colour, it's probably red tourmaline. Tourmaline is a piezoelectric crystal and comes in red varieties. So I suggest that instead of acquiring redstone from cinnabar and cryolite, it should come from crushing or refining tourmaline.

Edited by creeperCuller

Quartz is also piezoelectric (and exists in the MC world already)

On 27/7/2016 at 8:15 PM, creeperCuller said:

In modded Minecraft, redstone is often depicted as some by product of cinnabar. But redstone's properties are not similar  to those of cinnabar. Cinnabar is basically mercury ore, nothing very special about it, where as redstone is some sort of piezoelectric crystal. I say this because it's often powered when something bends and warps it, like a button pressing down on it or a lever bending it. 

I figured that, due to it's interesting properties and it's colour, it's probably red tourmaline. Tourmaline is a piezoelectric crystal and comes in red varieties. So I suggest that instead of acquiring redstone from cinnabar and cryolite, it should come from crushing or refining tourmaline.

You are giving Notch too much credit. Believe me when I say that he definitively  did not give that much thought when he added redstone

It is made of fairy fossils, compacted in the earth's crust. Their magical essence turns into the precious yet fragile crystal we know as Redstone.

14 hours ago, EstebanLB said:

You are giving Notch too much credit. Believe me when I say that he definitively  did not give that much thought when he added redstone

Well of course Notch didn't give that much thought. I was just stating the similarities that I found between the magical energy dust and a real life crystal. And it'd be pretty neat to have gemstones with uses in TFC2, would it not?

yeah, I think that having it as some sort of piezoelectric crystal would be good (although i'm pretty sure that cinnabar is conductive at least-correct me if I'm wrong), also, as you said having uses for gems beyond just decorative (which ABSOLUTELY should be a thing if possible) would be pretty neat. (especially since tourmaline is already in TFC1-which btw i think that they should keep all of the gems from TFC1 in TFC2, if not even add more

What if redstone is no longer a mineral but more minerals?

Something like mercury+borax+quartz dust. It makes sense. mercury is the conductor, borax is to make the thing solid and quartz is piezoelectric.

Redstone is a thing between powder and slime IMO.

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

If I could choose it would be to have redstone completely removed from the game.

I would like to see Mechanical power really implemented, with everything that is part of it. 

Them when the player reaches an advanced enough technological age he/she would have access to electricity and wires.

wires would them replace redsotone in all ways as long as they have access to a generator.

I'm with Tony on this.  I'd prefer to see mechanical power play a primary role.  I'd hold back a bit on electricity, and have it just do certain things like lights and revivifying frankenstein monsters.  I'd be less keen on people using electricity to power their doors and grist mills.  I'm a steampunk fan though.

12 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

If I could choose it would be to have redstone completely removed from the game.

I would like to see Mechanical power really implemented, with everything that is part of it. 

Them when the player reaches an advanced enough technological age he/she would have access to electricity and wires.

wires would them replace redsotone in all ways as long as they have access to a generator.

As long as it has at least the same functionality of redstone (aka we can still do everything with mechanical power as we could with redstone)-as well as probably more things, I would love this idea. It certainly is much more believable than redstone. I think that eclectricity shouldn't be there in the form of modern machinery, but maybe some batteries for high-end chemistry/ alchemy might be cool. I just feel like electrical machinery though shouldn't be in "vanilla" TFC (tho an Addon/integration with something like immersive engineering for that would be great)

Also, for activating kegs, or tnt or whatever it is, make gunpowder placeable. It should act as redstone, like a trail that will be activated with a fire starter and run from where you are to the keg and then make it explode.

On 2/9/2016 at 5:16 PM, lJuanGB said:

Also, for activating kegs, or tnt or whatever it is, make gunpowder placeable. It should act as redstone, like a trail that will be activated with a fire starter and run from where you are to the keg and then make it explode.

Mmmmh... Explosions...

Them are undervalued, I think they should get some new physics that will fit with the new block physics. And shock waves? Sound stunning? Highter volume that will make players to startle?