Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
FoxLGV

To release or not?

3 posts in this topic

Hey so, I have a question to put to the community.

So after fiddling with Cauldron for weeks, I decided it's more work than it's worth at present. Instead I put together an anarchy server, plain TFC (plus fastcraft) no plugins, no supporting mods; and at the moment it's serving as a server amongst friends. PvP is left on, which is intentional for a number of reasons, and ideally I'd like to open it up to the public but I have a concern. Even with fastcraft I'm sure TFC increases in it's requirements per player significantly, and last I checked there's a reasonable number of people looking for a non-whitelisted TFC server where PvP isn't outright turned off. 

So my question is: Do I release it publicly? I don't like whitelists, I don't like PvE exclusive, both for a large number of reasons. But should I even be worried about getting too many players? And if that becomes the case, is this the kind of community where players will pitch in to help with costs should they increase past my means?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by FoxLGV

If it is possible to limit the number of "slots" (i.e. concurrently on-line users)  then setting this to a comparatively low number should achieve the goal of not having "too many players" *concurrently*.
The only way to limit absolute player numbers on a public server definitively is to have a whitelist.

Another possibility which would help limit the numbers would be to have an open but "secret" IP address - you only give out the address and port to people who ask for it rather than publishing it.  You could see as a kind of "off-whitelist".You'd have to trust all your players not to publish the address, and perhaps accept that they will give the address to friends.

In our experience a fresh TFC server can handle up to 50 players. Then as players settle and start building stuff that number decreases over time to about 20 players. So as long as you have a beefy server, make sure people don't build a ton of stuff, you should be OK. If you want an idea of what kind of limits make sense, check out the HappyDiggers server thread. Those limits are not arbitrarily chosen but instead are based on a lot of experience running TFC servers. Having those limits in place 20 players can be online on the server at the same time comfortably. Between 20 and 30 TPS starts to drop below 20. And above 30 on a fully settled server things start to lag a lot.