Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GnomeKnight

Information about climate and how it works. And biomes that are in the climates

2 posts in this topic

How does climate work in TFC? does it depend on the coordinates and if so, what is the coordinate of the tropical climate? And if so does climate effect the biomes? and the natural resources on it? Like sequoia trees spawning and the color of the grass.

Yes, the further you are from z=0, in either the negative or postitive direction, the colder it gets.  Around z+-8k, snow and ice will rarely form.  And somewhere between 7 and 8k z, temperatures will never get low enough to kill any crop except sugarcane and jute.  Climate does not affect 'biome'.  Think of biome as geography.  Plains, hills, mountains.  You can have forested plains, or empty plains.  You can have very wet, or very dry plains.  Extremely dry, high temperature plains will be deserts.  But there are no biomes as such.  There is only geography, rainfall, and temperature (I think EVT is directly related to tempearture and rainfall, but I may be wrong there).  Rainfall is what affects the color of grass.  The lusher the green the more rainfall.  Trees will show up in areas with rainfall and temperature suitable to them.  Sequoias have a narrow set of requirements that mean they only seem to show up around 10-12k from the equator.  Also be aware that ALL saplings must have a minimum temperature of 20 degrees to generate.  So even in a given forest, such as sequoia, new saplings won't show up when current temperature is below 20.

Climate also affects directly what animals will show up, along with terrain.  Iirc, somewhere around 5 or 6k it gets too warm for cows and horses to show.  Sheep stop showing up a bit further out than that.  Temperature also affects whether berry bushes will fruit - none of them will bear fruit at the equator.  The equator is also too hot for many fruit trees to fruit.  Note that ALL fruit trees only bear fruit between 0 and 38, but depending on the time of year a particular type bears fruit, and where you are, it may be too hot at harvest time.  So generally the further from "summer" the fruit tree's harvest is, the more likely it is to actually work near the equator.  Your water bar will also deplete faster at extremely high temperatures. 

All these factors combined means that the 'sweet spot' to me is right around 7k from equator.  You can find cows and horses (and maybe sheep), your fruit producers will work, your crops will never die.  You won't see snow though, so if you love snow it's not for you.  You also can't build an effective sky freezer, but with immortal crops it's not that big a deal.

Edited by Darmo