Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kickinit233

Coconut and bamboo

25 posts in this topic

As you may or may not know coconuts and bamboo are two of the worlds most useful materials in the world. Both bamboo and coconuts contain many parts that can be utilized, here is a list of all the utilizable parts (anything listed here especially recipes are subject to change) and this is one topic as we are talking about the tropics and these would be fundamentally similar warning there is misc stuff at the end :

Coconuts

1.  Coconut husks: A thick and strong fibrous material

2. Coconut leaves: similar to palm leaves

3. Coconut shells: a extremely strong wooden material

4. Coconut wood: wood from the coconut tree

5. Coconut water/meat: a delicious source of food and water

6. Coconut sap: can be used to make coconut sugar or toddy (coconut alcohol)

Bamboo:

1. Bamboo wood: extremely strong and flexible

2. Bamboo shoots: a good source of food

3. Bamboo worms: a gross but protein rich food source

5. Bamboo sap: used to make a nourishing alcoholic drink

Things that you could craft with the two items:

1. Coconut sugar: a fairly simple source of sugar (created via drying coconut sap)

2. Bamboo fiber: smashed up bamboo, obtained via smashing coconut husks, soaking them, then working them

3. Coconut armor: early game armor that slows you down in the rain (it exists, look it up). Helmet would require 10 pieces of coconut fiber, Chest plate requires 25 pieces, legs 15 pieces, and boots 5 pieces

4. Bamboo armor: would also be early game. Crafting; helmet 4 pieces of bamboo fiber, chest 5 pieces bamboo fiber 5 pieces bamboo, legs 6 pieces bamboo fiber 2 pieces bamboo, boots 4 pieces bamboo fiber

5: fiber smashing: a group of recipes involving putting a hammer in the crafting grid with a source of fiber

6. Soaking: soak fiber in barrels of water

7. Fiber worker: acts in a way similar to the spinning wheel

8. Bamboo bow: a bow made from bamboo 6 bamboo, 6 string

9. Sap collector: a device for the collection of sap (if any sap is left in their longer that 24 hours it becomes its alcohol version

10. Scraper:  a tool to prepare a plant for sap collection (comes in all metal and stone varieties)

11. Bamboo spear: a cheap and easy weapon (SPEARS!!!!!)

12 .Bamboo containers: a container made out of bamboos

13. Coconut bowl: a bowl made out a coconut shell:

14. Coconut leaf smoker: smoker for meats made out of the leaves of a coconut tree

15. coconut fiber rope: yup that is a thing created by using processed coconut fiber on a loom

16. Bamboo paper: it exists (soak bamboo fiber, then dry)

17. Bamboo knife: see here if you don't believe me http://www.survivalnewsonline.com/index.php/2014/04/diy-bamboo-knife/, it is no swiss army knife but it works in a pinch, i made a simple texture for it. bamboo knife.png 

18. Bamboo baskets: a basket that is made from bamboo

19: bamboo boat: I'm on a boat

20. Bamboo lobster trap: self explanatory

21.  Makume-gane: a beautiful form of metallurgy that produces a wood like grain.

22. Bamboo sword: I guess it could work. Essentially tfc version of the wooden sword. Not the best texture.

Bamboo sword.png

23. Stone bladed bamboo club: similar to what the Aztecs had.

24. Coconut mace: literally a coconut shell on a stick.

25. Coconut/bamboo wind chine: right click the block to get basic weather information.

End for now.

Edited by kickinit233

In a recent poll I submit I was going to talk about bamboo, but when I already wrote 4/5 of the post my internet crashed. Then i get really angry and after 5 minutes I decided to submit the poll anyway, forgetting the rules. My post was blocked. Anyway, I though about yumi bows and strong, anti-earthquake buildings. I didn't though about the sharpness of bamboo, even if i cut myself the skin of 4 fingers at once when trying to make a bamboo bow... good point.

Yumi are strong and great, and should most definitely be added. But on the note of bamboo sharpness, it can be sharp enough to cut and even maim, however it quickly losses it's edge when exposed to water. If earthquakes were implemented it would be a very good addition to add bamboo because of its flexibility.

10 minutes ago, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

Should we write something about earthquakes?

Well if you were going to go ahead  with that idea I would first see if anyone else has suggested it.

I am currently creating/finding textures and models to increase the chance that this will be added. I know a little help can go along way in mod making.

Here there are some textures for bamboo... now we have to make leaves.

I though about making everything easier about textures in this way:

1. The first part of the bamboo (part 0) will use the Bamboo0, the 2nd part (part 1) will use Bamboo1 and so on, until parts 5 & 6, that will alternate until the plant finishes.
  2. The textures will be adapted to 2x2 (1.9 lonely glass pane), 4x4 (lonely fence), 6x6 and 8x8 (lonely stone wall). (Yep, only the 25% of the texture will be used)
  3. Every 8 blocks the trunk widens, and when the plant reaches 32 blocks it stops growing.
  4. The 2x2 parts take 3 days to grow, and when they reach 8 blocks in 24 days they start growing the next stage, that will take the double, triple and quadruple of the first stage. (3x8=24, 6x8=48, 9x8=72, 12x8=96, tot 240 days)
  5. To make this growing rate to fit with other trees, trees themselves shold have a really slow growing rate, with new desired future mechanics... if not I'm sure we can find a way to make Bamboo fit with them.
  6. Also, the bamboo will stop growing if any of its trunk pieces is cut, even the top piece.

Bamboo parts:

0 Bamboo0.png

1 Bamboo1.png

2 Bamboo2.png

3 Bamboo3.png

4 Bamboo4.png

5+2*n Bamboo5+2xN.png

6+2*n Bamboo6+2xN.png

The top BambooTop.png

I made it gray because it will be seen between the different-sized parts and the top of the plant. I don't really like it but I don't want to make things too complicate.

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr
Reorganized tesxtures and added BambooTop

59 minutes ago, kickinit233 said:

Very good textures, much better than my bamboo weapons.

Also, I don't exactly know what about leaves... in the example I used birch, because it fit well but having textures like this Bamboo_0.png for early stages will be good... And bamboo leaves of course.

I'm thinking about a new tree growth system that will make trees to work similar to chorus plants...

After a few years trying to create suggestions for Terrafirmacraft, it gives me the impression that we would have a better chance of seeing something implemented if it would include  gameplay  arguments.

I have seen hundreds of suggestions rejected because they were in essence versions of something that already exists in the game.

For example suggestions for new fruits, that would not actually add anything to the gameplay, and we actually already have a far number of variation.

That said I can see gameplay reasons to add coconut and Bamboo to the game.

• Aesthetic is a good a valid reason. It would add ambiance to beaches and jungles.
  • If we finally have ambient temperature added to the game it would add an easily obtainable construction material for primitive and start of the game shelter.
  • Bamboo could be used for water piping, it would be weak and replaced with metal pipes once the player gets to metal Age.
  •  A source of plant fiber for cordage. Just to make sense and finally tie the stone to the stick.

Hope you guys can think of other gameplay arguments. For now good luck and I really hope Coconut and Bamboo gets added to TFC2.

Just for everyone's info here, as I understand it, palm trees are already planned for TFC2.  Not sure if they're planned to have coconuts or not.  I'd love to see bamboo in the game, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.  If pipes were a necessary thing in TFC2, bamboo would be great for that.  Otherwise I don't know of many great uses.  I think it'd be pretty worthless as firewood, no charcoal capability.  Great for fences though!  It'd want to have it's own sapling spawning distance, so it could grow denser than normal trees, I think.  I like those images Diego, though the taper is a bit abrupt perhaps. 

6 hours ago, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

Some screenshots using th

38 minutes ago, Darmo said:

Just for everyone's info here, as I understand it, palm trees are already planned for TFC2.  Not sure if they're planned to have coconuts or not.  I'd love to see bamboo in the game, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.  If pipes were a necessary thing in TFC2, bamboo would be great for that.  Otherwise I don't know of many great uses.  I think it'd be pretty worthless as firewood, no charcoal capability.  Great for fences though!  It'd want to have it's own sapling spawning distance, so it could grow denser than normal trees, I think.  I like those images Diego, though the taper is a bit abrupt perhaps. 

Well I hate to call you out on something but bamboo charcoal made in a kiln has countless  medical and survival usages and might be the most efficient way to produce charcoal.

43 minutes ago, Darmo said:

st for everyone's info here, as I understand it, palm trees are already planned for TFC2.  Not sure if they're planned to have coconuts or not.  I'd love to see bamboo in the game, for aesthetic reasons if nothing else.  If pipes were a necessary thing in TFC2, bamboo would be great for that.  Otherwise I don't know of many great uses.  I think it'd be pretty worthless as firewood, no charcoal capability.  Great for fences though!  It'd want to have it's own sapling spawning distance, so it could grow denser than normal trees, I think.  I like those images Diego, though the taper is a bit abrupt perhaps. 

Well that was my not-experienced-man idea... anyway I want bamboo for:

1. Aesthetic
  2. Building
  3. Weapons, like spears.
7 minutes ago, kickinit233 said:

Well I hate to call you out on something but bamboo charcoal made in a kiln has countless  medical and survival usages and might be the most efficient way to produce charcoal.

Wow... Source?

That's fair, I did say 'no charcoal' and that was clearly wrong, since you can make charcoal in some quantity from any plant material basically.  I should have spoke with more precision.  That said, that wikipedia page has a loooot of citations needed.  It reads more like an advertisement for bamboo products than an actual informative and factual page.   I don't know what you are referring to when you say 'efficient' but speaking purely from the standpoint of space, it's going to be less efficient to make charcoal out of a hollow tube than it will be a solid log.  Air does not turn into charcoal.   Logic would suggest that for a given cubic meter, you'll get a lot more charcoal from logs than bamboo.  

IRL, there are of course other factors.  Presumably you can cut bamboo easier and faster than a tree.  Though pound-for-pound, I don't know - I think bamboo is rather tough.  You could perhaps split the bamboo canes in order to pack them in more densely.  But now you're adding more work.  You'll never get it packed as dense as a solid log.  But in the context of minecraft and TFC2, are we really going to simulate all that?  I doubt it.  So presuming the system will be basic and you can only get logs of each, and cannot split them and pack them more densely, is it logical to have bamboo yield as much charcoal?  I say not.  And I think this is fine.  I think it'd be great for the various biomes to have advantages and disadvantages.  And one disadvantage of a bamboo biome could be greatly reduced charcoal production efficiency.  I would suggest 1/8 that of regular logs.

True however making charcoal from bamboo has two major advantages over regular wood one of which is time, the speed in which bamboo grows is significantly faster than regular trees, and the added air makes the conversion to charcoal quicker. Another benefit is quality as someone who works with charcoal on the daily I can tell you for a fact bamboo charcoal burns cleaner. But you are right that per cubic meter you would not get as much bamboo, however due to the extremely fast growth rate of bamboo you would overall have more cubic meters to work with. So in all reality it comes down to this due you want to produce more per cubic meters with a slow rate of capital supply but higher efficiency or produce less per cubic meters but with a higher supply of capital. One way to tip the favor of the usage of bamboo over hard wood would be for trees to take a very long time to grow, but have higher wood yields.

Oh, you work with charcoal on the daily?  Like, you're a blacksmith or something?  Or you actually make it?  I thought the point of charcoal piles covered in dirt was excluding air, to reduce the amount of wood consumed by the fire.  Though I could see where the fire could spread throughout the pit faster through the tubes I guess, and then the air supply gets sealed off.  I would think there could also be a severe risk of the pile collapsing so much as to make large gaps in the dirt, due to the weakened tubes collapsing, from the irl perspective.

The speed of growth thing, ya, they'd have to change the rates of growth of trees to make that significant in game terms.  I've suggested changes to sapling spawn rates and methods before, and was pretty soundly shot down.  I think the devs have spent a lot of time getting the tree growth mechanic the way it is, and I would be skeptical of much change, unless there were more reasons than just to give bamboo a growth advantage. 

And the cleaner thing, again, that's a real life issue, but doesn't really have a mechanism to translate into the game as we know it.  I recognize that there can be a lot of things bamboo and it's products do irl, but the question is A: which of them can be translated to a game affecting mechanic, and B: at what cost in dev time and effort?  Differing rates of charcoal production would be pretty simple I think.  No new graphics or interfaces required.  Differing burn times on it's face is simple, but what about mixed piles?  Do only pure bamboo piles burn faster?  Having even one log of normal wood makes it a normal wood burn time?  Anything in between could get complicated. 

In an ideal world, it'd be great to have bamboo variants of everything, sure.  But in a world of having two devs with limited time, trying to keep the item id list down, is it *really* that useful to have bamboo variants of weapons and armor and other stuff?

To me, the best strategy would be to treat bamboo as another tree type.  It cuts faster than other woods.   It can be burned for firewood (burns far less long than actual logs) or charcoaled (for far less charcoal).  It can be made into barrels and planks and doors and other stuff that logs can normally be made into.  It has the special property of being a ready-made pipe, if there is any use for low grade pipes in TFC2.  Maybe grows faster.  But it's main benefit (aside from panda habitat) would be a very different, scenic type of forest.

Yes that would be the safe way however that would also be the very boring way and I think having bamboo crafting items would definitely be worth the time. If I knew how to script I would make them myself.

Edited by kickinit233

I agree with Darmo.

One of the things the most players do not realized is that in real life people do not usually cut down big trees for charcoal.

Charcoal is made from small trees and bush like trees. There are 2 main reasons for that, one is that it is easy to handle, the maximum diameter of charcoal made is around 2 inches or 5 centimeters.

Another reason is the fast growth of that kind of tree.

No one is going to cut down a 100 year old tree to make charcoal.

Now unless we are talking about completely changing the existing game mechanic in TFC where players cut down big trees to make charcoal, the argument about using Bamboo for charcoal is not valid.

Don't get me wrong, I would be in favor of a change in that direction, I just do not see it happening.

The ideal situation would be to have a lot more vegetation variety. Charcoal production is always with fast growing small trees that are renewable.

The problem is that to translate that in game we would need to make cutting down a big tree to be a lot of effort, like for example actually having the tree falling down and the player having to cut the logs and branches int smaller pieces and making this so time consuming that it would not be worth the trouble. 

In the end it makes more sense to just keep the existing mechanic and try to find a different use for Bamboo, aside from ambiance and decoration. Bamboo wood blocks for construction would add a more rustic look and feel, that in it self is reason enough to add it to the game.

As for weapons, I do not see happening either. We have plenty of weapons in the game, it would not add anything in terms of gameplay.

Now bear in mind I am not one of the Developers of TFC and Bioxx is the only one that can give a final word on this.

The bottom line is that if we have Coconut and Bamboo added to the game it would be great and even if we do not have everything it would at least make easy for an addon creator to add more content at a latter date.

For now I would just ask Bioxx if he would consider adding Bamboo and the coconut to the Palm trees. Even if he does not feel like adding all that is suggested here.

Well... the only weapons I want for bamboo are fast-crafting spears (crafted with bamboo and axe/sword as tools)

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

I think trees should have different properties to make them useful for different things, some trees should be very beautiful but almost useless for burning and take a lot of time to grow. Others may be normal trees that gives a lot of luber in short time, but you only get 6 planks and they burn slow, so they are perfect for charcoal. Maybe a really ugly tree useful for burning and give a decent amount of planks, for other things other than building... This way you would cultivate a type of tree for charcoal, other for building, other for burning...

AFAIK there is already a difference between different trees in how long/hot they burn in a fire pit - and also what flavours they impart when using them to smoke food.
As for being better or worse for building; I don't feel that would be a good idea - but that's only my opinion

I feel that due to its shape, bamboo can't be made into planks but would still be a versatile building material

19 hours ago, Cattleman said:

I feel that due to its shape, bamboo can't be made into planks but would still be a versatile building material

Obviously bamboo planks can't be made, but you can make relatively really-strong-fast-building by weaving together smaller bomboo and you can also make good columns with larger bamboo.