Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
f33dback89

Nordic Survival - a Playthrough Journal

23 posts in this topic

INTRODUCTION

Game Setup and Style of Play

Hi everyone!

For this playthrough of TFC, my goal is to keep a realistic style of play, while still keeping things fun with a decent game pace. I set up TFC with standard configs, except for the following tweaks :

- Year length : 120 days (10 days per month)
- Cool down factor : 1.2 (because I’m bad at smithing and didn’t want to get frustrated)
- Reduced chance of fissure spawning (IMO, too many fissures spawn in TFC).

I also wanted to add mods that add more realism or expand gameplay in a realistic way. Here are a few that I chose :

- Streams 2 (gotta love those streams and caves!)
- Finger in the Wind (realistic temp/humidity indicator : you’ll see the text in the top left corner of my screenshots)
- Antique Atlas mod (I decided that a full-blown mini-map wasn’t realistic : I wanted to map out the landscape as a rough sketch instead of a detailed map. Also, I changed the recipe so I could craft a map from prepared hides and ink. I think this is a good tradeoff between realism and the need for a crude map in the early game)
- Forestry (Because bees! I probably will pick and choose what parts of the mod I actually use in order for things to stay realistic. You’ll see the hives in a lot of my screenshots. )
- Realistic Weather (This is a mod that I both love and hate. I love the moving clouds and more realistic intermittent precipitation, but I hate the chance of tornados wrecking everything. Luckily, you can disable them, which I did later on in game.
- Railcraft, Immersive Engineering, and whole bunch of mods and tweaks added by the excellent modpack Technodefirmacraft. Most of these mods add extra content to the end-game, I’ll see if I actually use them once I get there. Once again, I’ll only be using the mods that fit with the realistic approach that I’m aiming for. The main reason why I used this modpack is because of the excellent work done to tweak the various mods to make them work nicely together with TFC in a balanced way. Seriously, try it out! If you want extended content that is perfectly balanced for TFC, Technodefirmacraft adds so much and is worth trying.

If anyone wants to try it out, here is the worldgen seed : 9045541208393382354
The spawnpoint is at about -14000, so the climate is pretty harsh.

I also fast-forwarded the time from June 1st to August 1st, to make preparing for winter more urgent.

Alright, time to start the adventure! Although I’m not much of a role-player and this playthrough is not done in that style, I decided to start off the game with a simple scenario : a lone traveller awakes on a shipwreck on unknown shores…

0_zpsbv2cidxy.png

Edited by f33dback89
Math error

PART 1

Shipwreck, shelter, and the surroundings (August 1000 - December 1000)

1_zpsw0lmwbqh.png

A lone traveller awakes on a shipwreck on unknown shores, hungry and thirsty. The ship had been driven onto a rock in the bay, a short swim from the beach. Although the ship was a total wreck, part of it was still above water and a few barrels survived. In the first barrel : some rum. So typical of sailors, but basically useless in this new situation. The second barrel : full of salt water, probably pierced in the crash. The third barrel : finally something useful! A few potatoes and fish, a small amount of flux, as well as 4 potato seeds and 4 berry bushes. After eating, I explored the surroundings.

Spoiler

2_zpsvvoxnegt.png

3_zpsagx1me7x.png

The climate is cold (about 3 degrees average temp), the surface rock is schist (not too great, as it doesn’t make flux), and the area is mostly covered in white cedar and a few douglas firs (this will be useful later!).

Spoiler

4_zpswvgieu5f.png

6_zps1d0hgch0.png

I dug out a temporary shelter near the beach under some clay and got to work exploring and gathering. The shelter itself was pretty humble, you can see the fire pit and pit kiln on the right and some logs and barrels salvaged from the shipwreck. I set up a small garden outside and planted the potatoes, berry bushes, and some rye that i found growing in the wild. There was actually quite a bit of rye growing in the area, but no vegetables and no fruit trees. After the usual scavenging and panning for copper, I had enough for a few copper tools : a saw, a pickaxe, and a pro pick.

Spoiler

7_zpsaaqvdzln.png

8_zpsgsuc7wms.png

9_zpsbbkyyhvb.png

I started exploring the area. Since I had no mini-map or any way of setting waypoints, I had to navigate using the geography and landmarks. I decided to mark paths using gravel placed every 4-5 blocks. These paths ended up saving me from getting lost so many times and were a good investment for the early game. I didn’t find much wildlife, only a few deer and two pigs. However, a bear did find me! I was able to escape by swimming down a river (bears and mobs in general are slow swimmers), but got lost in the process, too scared of meeting the bear to walk back the way I came. I headed in the general direction of my shelter and eventually stumbled across one of my paths.

Spoiler

10_zpsejkaacou.png

11_zpsgx2snpsa.png

As I travelled, I found a small mountain with a cliff face overlooking an area covered in douglas firs, with a small pond of fresh water near its base. This cliff was about a half-day’s walk from my temporary shelter near the shipwreck. As winter was coming quickly, I decided to set up my base here. Crops could be planted around the pond, and my house could have a great vantage point from the top of the cliff to view my future fields, animal pens, barns, etc. On the other side of the mountain was an ocean, and a large lake of fresh water was a relatively short way away in front of the cliff. In general, I tend to look for place like this to set up my base : a steep mountain surrounded by generally flat land.

Spoiler

12_zpsgdpfijyp.png

After building a temporary shelter at the base of the cliff, I did a couple of round-trips along the path to the shipwreck to transfer my supplies to the new shelter. By the time I was done, the cold winter temperatures had set in : already freezing temperatures at night in October and in the day in November! The climate actually feels like the Canadian climate that I live in IRL. It looks like the small amount of rye and potatoes I had planted in my garden won’t be ready for harvest, I must have planted them too late in the summer. I dug up the seeds and brought them to my new shelter. Next spring, I’ll be sure to plant them as soon as the temperature stops going below freezing. Sounds like meat will be the only thing on the menu for the winter…

Spoiler

13_zpsx9t1e0s7.png

15_zpsdehmm70r.png

Next, it’s time to get to work building a more permanent home at start settling down!

14_zpsltb6wx7k.png

Edited by f33dback89

PART 2

Settling down (December 1000 - June 1001)

First things first : time to build a more permanent home, at the top of the cliff overlooking the area that I chose to settle down in. It’s wintertime, so it’s not as useful to go exploring since no new crops can be found. Time to build!

Levelling the floor and building the walls

Spoiler

16_zpsmvd62ztu.png

18_zpsceniwi39.png

As you can see, I’m trying for a rustic style with a sod roof. The inside is quite simple, with small divisions to help organize my stuff and make it feel more homey. Eventually, when I decide to expand, I’ll be able to easily build a house on top of this and turn my current home into the basement for that house.

A couple views of the inside. There's a fireplace in the centre : smoke can go out the top. With the set of mods I'm using, smoke particles can swirl around the room until they find an exit, so chimneys are actually useful.

Spoiler

21_zps7nxew2td.png

20_zpswrbob3jh.png

19_zpsfaxu65hj.png

The winter was pretty rough going for food : I had already hunted the deer in the immediate area and didn’t feel like getting lost searching for more game, so I made a fishing rod and went ice fishing. The huge lake a short walk from my home provided a lot of fish, as long as I had the patience to keep breaking the ice and keep waiting for the fish to bite. This meagre fare got me through the winter, but my health was pretty bad from eating only one food group.

Spoiler

22_zpsnun4gwo5.png

23_zpskjfpjc4a.png

I also set out to find a reliable source of copper : I found a surface vein of tetrahedrite a short walk away, on the edge of the lake. I set up a mine, support pillars and all, and also made a gravel path from my base to the mine, seeing that I would be heading here often. I made this path a solid 2-wide gravel path with cobble stairs for inclines. To get the gravel for the path, I also set up a gravel mine : I dug down to the gravel layer and started digging and placing support pillars to allow me to dig out the layers of gravel between the topsoil and the rock. I could have made it an open pit mine, but it was faster this way and less ugly than a pit.

Spoiler

24_zpsbsnxqj1t.png

25_zpshvnmbt8s.png

Spring is here, so time to build a garden. I fenced off an area around the pond near my home and started planting as soon as the temperature was above freezing. The climate is so cold here that I had to wait until late spring / early summer to plant, and even then the temperature was too cold for some of my crops. The growing season is quite short here, looks like I’ll only be getting one harvest per year.

Spoiler

26_zps3xinte5x.png

27_zpsgzd3xwgl.png

28_zpsj0jempru.png

Next, time to start an animal pen. There were 2 male sheep near the base of the cliff, almost exactly where I wanted to set up my animal pens. I easily fenced off an area and coaxed the sheep into it. I had to do a bit of terraforming to level a large enough area for the pens. Next, I coaxed a female donkey back to the pen from where I found it near my tetrahedrite mine.

Spoiler

29_zpsdftwqt2w.png

30_zpsuoi4yd3f.png

Made from some prepared hides and ink, I got my first map! This is from the Antique Atlas mod, as I explained in the introduction. No more getting lost or forgetting where stuff is! You’ll notice in the screenshot that my health is way better : I was ambushed by a spider while I was making my garden and couldn’t get inside in time and died…

Spoiler

31_zpsmwiqgmmq.png

Next, time to start the barn. The barn will be the central point for my animal pens, with each pen extending into a part of the barn so that the animals can walk in and out of the barn. It will also be used for storage, possibly logs and farming supplies.

32_zpswrq5jykm.png

I started the foundation in June but only worked on it sporadically during the summer, because farming and exploring were higher priorities during the short summer months. The next few months will be spent exploring south, looking for vegetables and fruit trees, as well as anything else of use for setting up my base back home in the North. To be continued...

Hi everyone, if you like my photo-journal so far, check out the 2 posts by crystalcrag! The style of play and journalling in those 2 posts are a big part of what inspired me to start posting my playthrough here. Check out the latest by crystalcrag :

Hey, glad you follow up on your playthrough. Are you doing this on the fly or a are you a bit ahead ?

Anyway, good start. I like your writing style.

The climate around -14k is a bit challenging in the beginning for farming food (some crops can only be farmed once per year). But my trick was to go every summer in the south and loot every wild crops I could spot. I usually brought back so much food, that I stopped planting anything in the last years.

Thanks!

I'm slightly ahead, I have about 4-5 posts worth of stuff accomplished in game ahead of what I've posted so far.

PART 3

Exploring the south route (June 1001 - October 1001)

33a_zpssq1phquu.png

Speaking of exploring, I decided to head south on foot. I discovered that an underground stream flowed  south from inside the mountain where my home is built down to the ocean. It could be useful to build a path following the stream to cut through the mountain for easy access south. I walked until I came across the start of a new surface rock layer : about a day’s walk south from my base, the surface rock changes to andesite. I was hoping for flux-compatible rocks, but at least I should be able to find some bismuthtite for making bronze. Also, a couple new tree types were present : white elm (yuck, probably my least favourite for building) and pine (nice enough). A couple of wolves were chilling out in the area, too. I found more grains, but still no vegetables or fruit trees… A big discovery was finding enough hemp for a rope lead! Sounds like I’ll be able to ride my donkey south soon!

Spoiler

34_zpsttvagork.png

35_zpsmz1jufft.png

Back at the base, my garden was coming along nicely. The harvest should be on time, no problem! I was worried that I couldn’t even harvest anything at these latitudes. With the grains that I had collected, I was able to tame the sheep enough to start collecting wool for a bed and start taming my donkey to ride it. I even had enough grain left over for some beer and whiskey. I had tons more grain than I usually find in the early game, but strangely no veggies. Must be the climate…

Spoiler

36_zpsr0vpliru.png

37_zps4h8yrlkc.png

38a_zpsp14mb11y.png

I decided to head south again, but securing the route in a more permanent way. First I dug out a path through the mountain along the underground river. This made my trips south a lot more easy, but it also collapsed a big part of the cave… I’ll have to fix it back up sometime, I really liked the look of the cave.

Spoiler

39_zpsmo2h0yzl.png

Next I built a small cabin near the area where I found bismuthtite. It will serve as a shelter / bed for spending the night on the way through the area. I plan on making a chain of small cabins along my main long-distance travel routes to help make travelling less dangerous and to serve as supply drop-off points.

Spoiler

40_zpspwoplwl6.png

42_zpssskubl5y.png

Here’s a shot of the interior. Nothing fancy, but it feels welcoming.

Spoiler

41_zpsk61w5pl1.png

With the first cabin set up (named the Pine Lake Hut), I headed even farther south. About a day’s walk south, I started discovering vegetables! Finally! The area also seems to be geothermal with hot springs and the occasional lava pool here and there. After bringing my seeds back home to plant them, I returned to the same geothermal area with building supplies for a second cabin, as well a donkey! My donkey was now tame enough to ride, and it shortened my trips considerably. I could now get from my geothermal cabin to my main base in a day of donkey-riding instead of 2 days of walking. As I made a series of trips out from the Hot Springs Hut, I soon discovered a bunch of useful stuff; I was now far enough south for fruit trees and other types of vegetation.

Spoiler

43_zpsgkpaaezu.png

My first fruit tree : olives!

Spoiler

45_zpsim1ja6ni.png

Maple forests. The top layer of rock is shale in this area.

Spoiler

44_zpsvm6qqnko.png

Some cool mountains that turned out to be full of exposed gold veins!

Spoiler

46_zpsrpp4ccd6.png

47_zpskpkx25fr.png

After exploring, I healed my donkey in the hot spring behind my hut.

Spoiler

48_zpskc6lqvwm.png

It’s fall, so time to head back home... Next up : building the barn, collecting farm animals, planting fruit trees, etc.

49_zps9ohyn7f3.png

Cool! I like how you selected a northern area for a nice challenge. The ice fishing seems especially realistic, you're like an Inuit! The house upon the hill also looks wonderful. Can't wait to see more of your adventures.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments!

I'll be posting the next chapter of the photo-journal in a couple days, hopefully!

PART 4

The farmer’s life : barn, farm, and limestone (October 1001 - June 1002)

Alright, time for a building project! I decided to build a barn, as well as set up the surrounding animal pens. I had already started the foundations a while back, but hadn’t done any work on it during the summer.

50_zpsbvipkyoa.png

First, I gathered up pairs of animals from here and there. The nearest surviving pigs were near Pine Lake Hut about a day’s walk south. (I had to eat just about everything in my immediate area during the 1st winter).

Spoiler

51_zpsrlqlvrek.png

52_zpscz9b2gt5.png

53_zpsnkxf5vxj.png

54_zpsaeby8lv8.png

Time to start building :

Spoiler

55_zpsgxzfzpfv.png

Finished floor over the basement:

Spoiler

56_zpsrikackan.png

The walls are going up :

Spoiler

57_zpsaufkxkar.png

Starting to take shape! The sheep pen and the donkey / horse pen are at a lower elevation at the same level as the basement. On the other side of the barn, the pig and cow pens at a higher ground level are at the same level as the main floor.

Spoiler

58_zpsqdesxnu5.png

In the middle of the project (probably while waiting for ash saplings to grow or looking for more straw… ugh so much straw!), I explored a bit to the east. The area was full of birch trees, and a cold, dry climate. I found a couple of female sheep that I brought back to the farm, and….. Graphite!!! I wasn’t even looking for it, just sampling the area with my pro pick and stumbled across a large sample reading. I quickly dug to the vein, as seen below.

Spoiler

59_zpshsytqpma.png

60_zps6jrgzklq.png

Back home, I finished up the barn :

Spoiler

61_zpslkwczhuu.png

62_zpsw2qxrhaq.png

It’s made of Douglas fir wood and logs, schist cobble and bricks, ash wood roof and straw. Here’s a view of the interior (main floor). The stairs on the left lead to the basement where I stockpiled my different types of wood (sorry for the dark picture).

Spoiler

63_zpsx9bgfmap.png

64_zpsglaqylqc.png

It’s about at this time that I came across my first tornado (Weather Mod), heading straight for the newly-built barn! Nope, nope, nope! Although the effect was pretty cool, I just couldn’t imagine a tornado ripping through all my stuff… So I quickly deactivated the tornados in the mod options.

Spoiler

65_zpstwri5s5v.png

The tornado left a trail of trees stripped of their leaves, and strangely, a trail of ice ripped out of the lake.

Spoiler

66_zpskkjqmnos.png

Well anyway, Spring is on the way, and the barn and animal pens are ready!

Spoiler

67_zpstubtg3b4.png

The arrival of spring means planting season, as well as the start of the best time for exploration. After planting my crops, I headed out with my trusty donkey.

Spoiler

68_zpsp8z6y6es.png

My goal for my exploration was to find two major things : a rock type that makes flux, and kaolinite to make fire clay (since I already have graphite). So, I’m looking for a flux-source sedimentary rock like limestone. I headed south, in order to collect new types of crops / fruit trees at the same time.

After exploring for a quite a long time, I finally spotted some whitish cliffs in the distance : looks like limestone!

Spoiler

69_zpsdlwjsuxo.png

On closer inspection, it was limestone, and I spent several days collecting rocks and sampling the area looking for kaolinite. The area was actually quite nice scenery, I might make an outpost here sometime. I finally found some kaolinite on an exposed cliff face.

Spoiler

70_zps3w3ndh5l.png

71_zpshvtesi0q.png

After collecting some, I headed home. However, while travelling through dense woods, I fell down a fissure and my donkey died… Well, I had to head home on foot and it took me forever! On the way back I did find an exposed cliff of marble a bit closer to my home base (probably 1-2 days walk), as well as my favourite type of trees for making roofs : aspen.

72_zpsbw6vtqg4.png

Finally home! With my new supplies, it’s time to set up a decent forge and start upgrading my tools and technology. But that’s for another episode… coming soon!

PART 5

Acquiring the hardware : forge and bloomery (June 1002 - December 1002)

Now that I have all the parts for upgrading my technology (kaolinite, graphite, and flux), it’s time to build a proper forge! The spot that I chose was on top of the mountain at my main base, right next to my house. I’m saving the space on top of the sod roof for a future expansion of my house.

Spoiler

74_zps6fxo0usj.png

After powering through the copper and bronze anvils (up to this point I had been making bismuth bronze tools by casting them in clay molds), I set up a temporary forge on the site.

Spoiler

75_zps4zue3qq8.png

In the meantime, my crops and fruit trees were coming along nicely. Looks like a big harvest this year! Also, a couple calves were born! I've been collecting milk and making cheese for some time now.

Spoiler

76_zpsyenxkfzx.png

77_zps8caqte36.png

78_zpsktcpsyki.png

I gradually terraformed the site and started building the walls. I decided on a design with 4 forges around a central anvil. I probably will never really use all 4, but the design looks cool! I made built-in shelves for ingot stacks and storage chests, as well as shelves (from Bibliocraft) for displaying my gem collection.

Spoiler

80_zpsvlvnolxm.png

79_zps7lovvr8p.png

The finished building! Inside, you can see a couple of bloomery chimneys (missing the actual bloomery though) along the back wall. I really like how the building turned out, both functional and detailed.

Spoiler

81_zpsuflwc3yy.png

82_zpsdpx13hoi.png

83_zps1qu6izqn.png

To get enough bronze for my first bloomery, I had to travel both North to my Sphalerite mine and South to my Bismuth mine. My Tetrahedrite mine near my base also ran out, but finding another vein wasn’t too hard in the schist rock layer around my base. I set up a second mine a bit farther to the north, it actually turned out to be a bigger vein than the first.

Spoiler

84_zps003twhux.png

85_zpsqptvqi5n.png

Bloomery : finished! However, me being sometimes distracted while mixing ores in the crucible resulted in the occasional ‘’unknown metal’’… I started the Pile of Shame, as a totem to my stupidity and as a reminder to never mix ores while distracted. :-)

Spoiler

86_zpskbclckyd.png

87_zps6apj4gep.png

Now that I’ve got the technology to make iron, it’s time to start mining it, making tools, and moving into the iron age. But that’s it for this chapter, so until next time, cheers everyone!

88_zpszjysja8m.png

Yeah, that's a really nice looking forge you have. The interior really feels like it has been built in the middle ages. Looks better than the barn: the fact you cannot chisel the thatch, make the slope of the roof too blocky, whereas on this building it is smooth and gradual. Good to see your compound taking shape!

Ha, forget to ask: do you also build everything in creative mode first ?

Edited by crystalcrag

Yeah, it's too bad you can't chisel thatch... I tried to make the barn roof a bit less blocky by adding the quarter-block-sized ash wood crossbeams. I really wanted to keep the thatch look, it seems fitting for a nordic barn. And yeah, the forge feels a lot more "smooth" and more esthetic. I like how it turned out! Thanks for the feedback!

No, I don't test my builds in creative mode, so occasionally the finished product doesn't turn out 100% how I want. I guess it comes down to the fact that I don't have tons of free time, so I would rather spend it actually advancing my survival-world projects instead of testing them in creative. If I had the time, I would do it, because the finished product is a lot better. Your detailed projects are really great!

I think your barn looks amazing, even though the thatch is blocky!

Really enjoying your series, thanks for sharing!

Quite impressive if you managed to do this directly in survival. Maybe it is because I've played minecraft that way for too long, but I know if I try building anything in survival first, it always ends up as a pile of crap.

PART 6

Iron infrastructure : Iron mine, Charcoal, and the South road (December 1002 - June 1003)

Hi everyone! It’s time to start upgrading to iron tools. First, I headed to the spot where I had found a lot of Hematite surface nuggets and set up a mine.

Spoiler

90a_zps2sys9chs.png

90_zpsiaemaojo.png

Located not far from my Hotsprings Hut, the shack is built on top of the mineshaft down to the hematite vein. Unfortunately, it’s poor quality hematite… oh well, it’ll do for now, but I’ll have to mine a lot of it to make what I need.

Spoiler

91_zpswafvq5qk.png

92_zps1th3cc1e.png

Back home, I fired up the bloomery. Boy does that take a lot of charcoal for just a few ingots’ worth of wrought iron! Stupid poor quality hematite…

Spoiler

93_zpsnjlljw20.png

I needed to mass-produce charcoal, so I decided to set up a tree farm and a permanent charcoal pit. Luckily, Douglas firs are the best for wood production. I planted a bunch of saplings in a flat-ish area close to my main base and made a shelter next to my charcoal pit structure. That charcoal pit can produce about 120-140 charcoal each time I fire it up with logs at full capacity.

Spoiler

94_zps1st7i6b6.png

95_zpsyk3kujig.png

96_zpstpueb6wk.png

Finally, an iron anvil!

Spoiler

97_zps4ol7rel2.png

In between waiting for batches of iron blooms and/or batches of charcoal, I started securing the route South to Pine Lake Hut and then on to Hotsprings Hut and my hematite mine. Since I was going to be needing a lot of iron, I needed a quick and secure route to the area. The first step was building the bridges across the bay near my base.

Spoiler

98_zps2if3pcrh.png

99_zpsjrciazrh.png

After that, I made the path along the route to Pine Lake Hut. I tried to minimize the building materials and the terraforming by following the terrain and not making it a solid 2-block-wide cobble path. The occasional fence posts will help keep me on track even when the snow covers the path. I also set up the occasional lantern to guide me at night. I quite like the style of how it turned out.

Spoiler

100_zpsw4d55vj6.png

101_zpssxtvji5o.png

102_zpsneffceih.png

A new set of iron tools in hand, I finished the path from Pine Lake Hut to Hotsprings Hut. Since it was easier by boat and pretty much in a straight line across an inland sea, I built docks at both shores so that the route crosses the sea.

Spoiler

103_zpsoyqa54np.png

104_zpsix2yzf76.png

105_zpsfosdyeps.png

On the other side of the sea, the path passed the hematite mine and finished a short distance away at Hotspings Hut. In total, the path is about 2000 blocks long, stretching from my main base to Hotsprings Hut, more or less due south. Later on, I’ll most likely extend the path another 1000 blocks south to the mountainous region where I spotted gold and cinnabar in Part 3.

Spoiler

107_zpsempanibm.png

With the finished road offering permanent quick access to sources of hematite, it’s time to head home and start upgrading my main base with a bigger house, better storage, and better landscaping and paths. But that’s for the next episode! Thanks for reading and cheers!

108_zps4rja1ori.png

Lovely gameplay, nice map mod, going to use that by myself. Keep going!

Hey everyone! After an unexpected hiatus (IRL related), I'm excited to get back to my adventures and projects in Terrafirmacraft! I've recently made enough progress to post another update to my playthrough journal, stay tuned! It's good to be back :-)

88_zpszjysja8m.png

PART 7

Home Improvement : Living quarters, better storage, and maps (June 1003 - November 1003)

Hi everyone! When I last left off my journal, my house was pretty basic as it hadn’t really changed since I settled down. The forge was bigger and better than my living quarters! I was running out of space and my storage was quickly becoming a mess. Time to expand my house upwards ontop of my current sod roof. I cleared a space and started building :

119_zps2sbasuuq.png

119a_zpspd7ozn0a.png

(You might notice the map outside, I’ll explain how I got that later).

I added a main floor with storage and a kitchen, as well as some extra space to expand into.

Spoiler

120_zpsz1l3mxw0.png

121_zpstzhcerk6.png

122_zpsan8me3dd.png

On the second floor, I set up my bedroom and a mezzanine overlooking the main floor and fireplace. I plan on displaying rare items / collections of plants, etc. on the 2nd floor.

Spoiler

123_zpsuyeuxzpg.png

124_zpsrxpbynqm.png

I converted my former living quarters (now the basement of my house) into cellar with areas for each step of  production for pickling and food storage. This included an outdoor porch for rainwater collection and a dark cellar for slowing the decay of fresh food.

Spoiler

126_zpsphuvip1j.png

127_zpsbu5dtm8n.png

128_zpsf4ab3tls.png

129_zpszzkizovl.png

Upgrading my house really helped stay organized and completed my “home base” ontop of the cliff. I might expand my house a bit in the future with something like a tower or a solarium, but generally speaking it it finished.

Ok, so back to how I got the maps! At the onset of summer, I headed south on my horse to search for reeds and cinnabar to make maps and finally get an overview of my surroundings. My basic atlas made from leather was useful as a rough map with waypoints, but it was little more than an outline of the terrain; I wanted something more detailed. And so I set out on my horse with supplies for a long trip south.

Spoiler

110_zpspmysyl5m.png

Redstone was easy enough to find as I had spotted some Cinnabar in the mountains south of Hotsprings Hut a while back. I stopped there to collect some and continued south in search of reeds.

Spoiler

111_zpsjyt344wi.png

After a looooong trip, I finally spotted this :

Spoiler

113_zpsbwermmyb.png

Reeds and a rooster at the same place! Luckily, I had enough foresight to bring a crate (animal crate mod) and captured the rooster in it. Rooster on my back and reeds in hand, I headed home. On the way home, I lost my horse to a ravine and had to make it home on foot and by boat. Here’s the last picture of my trusty horse, RIP. Ravines have got to be the number 1 cause of death both for me and my animals. Back home, I planted the reeds and ground the cinnabar for map-making!

Spoiler

114_zpsmapgpdkp.png

115_zpsnmug6uyc.png

I was finally able to see an overview of my home base and the surrounding area :

Spoiler

117_zpswo1yd1wf.png

118_zpshfdbgv41.png

On the map, you can see my forge and barn near the center of the map. The roads branch out from there, heading south across the bridge to Pine Lake Hut and onward, northeast to my tetrahedrite mine, and east to my charcoal production forest. I set up the map on the wall of my newly constructed house as a decorative (and useful!) addition. As a finishing touch to my house before getting started on other mining/smithing projects, I fixed up the stairs to the top of the cliff. Those stairs are a lot better than the makeshift (and somewhat dangerous) ones that I had been using since first settling down in the area.

Spoiler

130_zps4fqyjlzk.png

131_zpsaatejjka.png

That's it for this journal entry! Next up : getting a technology boost with a blast furnace and releasing the inner horticulturist in me. :-) Cheers!

Edited by f33dback89