Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kickinit233

Weapons, Melee range, Cooldown, etc.

18 posts in this topic

I love TFC but there are many weapons I think should be added

Weapons: even though the time period of the mod might not even be close to modern there are quite a few weapons I feel are missing

Ranged:

• Bolas: a caveman's best friend, helps catch those fast prey

• Atalatl: basically a javelin thrower

atlatl.gif?w=470

• Sling: a early projectile weapon

sisal200.JPG

• Slingshot: a early elastic weapon

60aa9cc0f03bb8077f6dff74e810125a.jpg

• Harpoon: WHALES!!!!

PRVq8v7O5pyLU1CM__8ZKVkQ4GlBiIOqVKFP3oue

• Explosive firelance: a gunpowder filled tube attached to a stick, thrown, explodes on impact, needs to have flint and steel to use

• Shot filelance: a firelance filled with a single lead ball or shot, right click shoots it off, chance to misfire and explode or to break the item.

huoqiang-e1447958895649-300x200.jpg

• Flame thrower firelance: a firelance that spays out fire.

• Throwing stick: a stick that you throw

boomerang%2B1.JPG  

• Hunting boomerang: a large club designed for throwing, does not return to thrower

root_hunting4.jpg

• Dart gun: poison darts for the win

Melee:

• Cestus: clobbering time

Cestus.png

• cinquedea: five finger death sword

latest?cb=20140906010712

• Gladious: for sparta

• Boar spear

95BOASK_m.jpg

• misericorde: ha armor, what armor

b56df519a03b1db4c6655350b3f85965.jpg

• falchion: hacking my  way to the top'

220px-Falchion.jpg

• Khopesh: like an Egyptian

budget_khopesh.jpg

• Estoc: pokey, pokey

Estoque_1480_dC..jpg

• Flameberg: flame sword

• Rapier: stabby stabby

• Claymore: inferiority complex much

• Executioner Sword: off with their head

Ep%C3%A9e_de_justice_IMG_3471.jpg

• Zweihänder: for Scotland

• Sword breaker: bye bye sword

2179hi2.jpg

• Shotel: WTF is that sword

• Lucrene hammer: who's hammer

pef_1046.jpg

• Horsemans pick: horse not included

9e1a550d90c3b9998ec23d3994f6a6f4.jpg

• Flail: I don;t have a joke for this one

• Morning star: the last star you will ever see

• Brandistock: ouch

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0XcAvMF6dduvjIF6Uvq1

• Pike: stay back I tell you

Schiltron_Pike.jpg

• Sword staff: is it a sword attached to a staff or a staff attached to a sword

ts-swnsprcsss.jpg

• Ahlspiess: what nice armor you have

Ahlspiess.gif

• Bill: not a name

Long_handled_bill_hook.jpg

I really like the idea of a sling that consumes rocks as ammo.  You always end up with way too many rocks.

11 minutes ago, Lorkenpeist said:

I really like the idea of a sling that consumes rocks as ammo.  You always end up with way too many rocks.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, to many rocks not enough uses.

9 hours ago, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

GREEK FIRE

Well a flamethrower firelance does exist and it is similar, sadly does not burn on water.

I've been proposing Slings for ages. I'd love to see them added.

36 minutes ago, Pwnlord said:

I've been proposing Slings for ages. I'd love to see them added.

Both the sling, Bola, and atalatal were chosen with consideration for the stone age.

What advantage does the atlatl provide over just throwing the javelin?  Also, would the atlatl take damage, or the javelin, or both?

In real life the atlatl  allows you to throw the javelin farther, in some cases doubling the distance which in turn also changes the strength of the weapon on short distances.

Game wise  I honestly do not see much advantage to have so many weapons added to the game.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be cool to have a whole bunch of different weapons. I just can not justify all the work involved in coding those weapons.

Since we only have 3 different kinds of damage. Piercing, Slashing and crushing. In the end one weapon would be superior and everyone would use that one in detriment to all others.

I can see how useful things like the bolas would be for hunting, as they immobilize the animal allowing the hunter to get close. Not sure how it would worked against Monsters or animals that you want to domesticate.

As far as Slings or slingshots, I understand how people want to have the ability to throw rocks for crushing damage, but that would make it too easy to kill skeletons. Monsters are already too easy to kill, we do not need to make it even easier.

The only way I can see to justify adding more weapons is if the Dev's were willing to completely overhaul weapons to allow  for mixed damage. For example weapons with crushing and slashing at the same time and in different degrees.

Tony's right.   Most of this has been suggested before.  Just posting pictures of weapons doesn't contribute much - we all know how to use google.  It'd be much more helpful to suggest *how* each weapon will be different, and balanced against each other.  Will the mace be a castable bludgeoning weapon with slow speed and middle damage, while a lucern hammer requires anvil work, and does higher damage, while being slower yet?  A warhammer is smaller and faster, but also requires anvil work, but does less damage?  Swords do more damage than bludgeoning weapons, but require several stages of smithing?  Spears do low damage in general, but extra damage to large creatures (a la dwarf fortress)?  The discussion would be much more productive, I think.  Because as tony says, absent any mechanical differences and balances, I doubt the devs spend the time to add a bunch of weapons for show.

I think the idea of mixed damage types is very interesting.  In Dungeons and Dragons I was always confused by big heavy battle axes (greataxes, actually)  being ineffective against skeletons because they do slashing damage.  Surely an axe that heavy would do crushing damage too?  Of course they would be super slow to swing.  Perhaps you would try to crit and take a skeleton down in a single blow (or more depending on metal tier), but if that fails you're screwed for a couple seconds. 

Edited by Lorkenpeist

Ya, I always felt there was a gap in the 'traditional' damage types of D&D and most other system, and that falls squarely on axes.  I think there could be a 'chopping' damage type.   Because frankly, bones are like wood.  And axes are great against wood.  Axes should utterly destroy skeletons.  Bones are actually resilient, and pure blunt damage - logically speaking - shouldn't be as effective as a similar size axe vs skeletons, imo.  But in terms of game balance, if you have too many damage types, you run the risk of having an orphan damage type that's not great, and nobody uses.  So you could for instance say blunt has no damage advantages vs creatures (except if they were made of glass or something), but are castable weapons.  slab/chop/pierce have certain advantages, but they all require smithing.  If a sharpening mechanic were brought in, that would be another advantage of blunt weapons - never having to be sharpened.

I'm not a fan of the notion of a single weapon doing multiple physical damage types, unless the difficulty of obtaining it is quite a bit greater.  If you let a morning star do bunt and piercing damage (in the current 3-type system), why would anyone use anything else?  Having four damage type would give more combos though.  So to me, stick with simple and easily categorized weapons, unless a good balance can be come up with to spread the usefulness around.

Agree, agree and agree.

In real life there is no such a thing as a supreme weapon. In a game is a really bad idea.

Not sure what the numbers are, so I will just throw some aleatory ones.

Suppose a sword has a 200 points slashing damage.

Suppose a club has a 200 points crushing damage.

Now if you create a weapon that can do 100 points of slashing and 100 points of crushing it would still be superior, in the sense that you do not need to switch weapons depending on the mob.

The only way to make this work would be to completely overhaul the combat system and do a lot of calculations so weapons are balanced.

Some of the things that would need to be balanced are:

The damage types; Piercing, crushing and slashing.

Speed and durability.

Another consideration that could be done is about range. Close combat or long range.

An example, if you are fighting  a bear a lance would be better, but once the bear gets close you are dead. 

With so many possibilities it would be a really hard and a monumental task to create all those weapons and properly balance them in the game.

Hello, don't forget about weapon charge time! Charge time should also be taken into consideration when thinking about balance. Let's say, a broadsword would have more damage than a short sword (yet same proportion of damage types), but it would take longer to fully charge, resulting in only a slight increase in DPS. A gladius would have more piercing proportion than a sword but less than a spear. Et cetera.

Now I wrote this. This is only an idea. I'll probably modify it in the future.

Legend:  R = Range, D = Damage type (Primary and secondary), En = Effectivity/Damage (Iron), Ea = Effectivity/Damage versus armor (iron vs iron), C = Cooldown* (for iron)

*You will not be able to hit the enemy when the cooldown is under 50%, then the damage will be calculated in the vanilla way.

**For "two-handed" I mean "used in the main-hand with the off-hand slot empty", not a two-handed weapon.

Sword:

Spoiler

R = 2m

D = Slashing

En = 100%

Ea = 40%

C = 1.0s, 0.75s (two-handed**)

The sword has a new attack, the stab, that will be done by shifting in the moment of the attack.   (new animation)

R = 2m

D = Piercing

En = 100%

Ea = 80%

C = 1.25s, 0.75s (two-handed)

Mace:

Spoiler

R = 2m

D = Crushing

En = 200%

Ea = 100%

C = 1.5s, 1.25s (two-handed)

Spear:

Spoiler

The spear should have a new attack animation, where it pierces the target.

R = 3m

D = Piercing

En = 60%

Ea = 50%

C = 1,25s, 0.75s (two-handed)

When thrown:

D = Piercing

En = 160%

Ea =150%

C = 2s

Bow:

Spoiler