Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Stroam

What binds players together

18 posts in this topic

Goal - This thread is a discussion on what makes players work together. I have come across more than one individual who has wished for players to work together more to varying degrees. Reasons include but are not limited to create one big city, greater sense of community, create trade, and reducing the load on the physical server. 

My personal experiences - On most servers I've played on the game experience has been as follows. You log on, there's a protected spawn area, people spread out from spawn and build their own base in different sections of the map usually by themselves or small groups of friends. When someone has accumulated some degree of stuff, depending on the person and how difficult it was to obtain the stuff, are willing to trade or give it away. These servers usually have some sort of grief protection and/or policy regarding griefing from the relaxed to the extreme. The more extreme the policies, and older the server, more ghost towns/buildings you seem to come across. They also tend to have limits on the number of crops, animals, and redstone you can have, to reduce stress on the server. What bring people together on these types of servers is usually briefly for trade and sometimes to help tackle a particularly difficult area or mob.

When I've specifically looked for it, there has been a few servers I've been on where there has been a small group of individuals from 2 to 8 on the server, where there has been a town collective where everyone lives in the same general area and shares resources and work areas. Generally this has been on more difficult servers. The population of the server in these circumstances, usually is pretty much set shortly after a settlement has been established. From there the server population slowly dies until no one logs on consistently anymore. What brings people together initially on these servers is just the desire to work together in a community.

PVP servers have came in two varieties and modes. Free for all and guilds, open world and minigames. Open world, in free for all everyone hides and no large bases are usually made unless there is some sort of grief protection. What brings people together on this game style is sometimes briefly for trade but more often than not, conflict. Open world Guilds usually have established grief protected areas and a standard set of gear for all new recruits. Again the main binding force is only one grief protected area and conflict. Minigames are minigames, not much to say there.

Take away - What usually brings people together in most these scenarios is trade and that is usually just for the trade. What brings people together the longest is usually a general want to work together as a server, and having only one safe place that is grief protected. Having the server be very dangerous either from PVP or extremely difficult gameplay also helps. That is why I have a running theory that the more difficult it is to build, survive, and communicate the more people naturally come together in Minecraft without specifically wanting to work together in one big town

I'd love to hear other peoples input as to what brings minecraft players to work together and the reason or reasons why they think that. As always, follow the forum rules, be respectful, and try to stay on topic. Thanks!

I have limited experience in the SMP area - only TFC, and only 2 servers.  Ghost towns happen, and that's probably mostly a result of player's lives or choice of games changing.  Some degree of that is unavoidable.  My impression is that two things hinder towning in current TFC:

- Lack of a trade economy due to food and most materials be almost never needed and not particularly hard to get.

- Lack of identity in a town. 

In terms of economy, what I most often see being used as currency is charcoal, iron, sequoia saplings, and occasionally wood types that aren't easy to find purely due to where town spawns are.  Most stuff is  barely needed, so it's not necessary to find much.

The result of the lack of economy is the second problem, lack of identity for town members.  Usually you have one person who is the master smith and is responsible for all the smithing due to the bonuses they impart.  Sometimes there's a miner, sometimes a farmer.   Miners are hit or miss because they don't *really* like it so it's too grindy for them and they quit, or on the other hand they're very competitive and love stacking up ingots in the town vault for bragging rights vs other town - this type will hang around as long as other town members are active.  Farmers generally don't stay too long.  Usually gone after they have 50+ barrels of pickled stuff that just rots because food is not hard to get, or after they've exhausted the alcohol lols.  The mayor of the town is of course the most motivated usually, and is usually the head builder.  So basically you have two major roles in a town: mayor, and smith.  Everyone else is effectively second-class.

The problem I see is that because smithing is the only truly skilled trade, smiths feel a strong sense of community identity, because everyone depends on them for good gear.  Nobody else is really needed that badly.  It's nice to have someone making sandwiches, but not hard to do that one's self.  There's basically no need for leather or wool, so a dedicated animal person also isn't needed.  Jute is precious early game, useless once you have animals.  So I think people drift off because they don't have a clear role in the town.  I think the number one thing TFC2 could do to foster towning is to arrange the game in such a way that distinct roles are either enforced, or highly desirable because of the time required.

Difficulty of survival might help, but this is kind of a double edge sword.  I've played on a 'hardcore' server that differed only from the regular in that there was no teleporting, and your town was not protected from mob spawns.  That server was basically a ghost server.  I suspect travel had the most to do with it.  I enjoyed the increased difficulty, but at the same time I play SMP to actually see people.  And I think most people don't like grindy travel.  There would be a risk, I think, that if survival were too hard, it might decrease the player base a lot as they migrate to easier servers.  Granted, people who like easy are usually more casual and don't stay long anyway.  But again, SMP is to see people, not sit and mutter to the tumbleweeds about how hardcore I am.

In any case, I think it'd be fairly easy to scale some aspects of survivability: Increase mob hps or speed, food rots faster, crops die, ores have less per nugget, etc.  That stuff I think is fairly easy to tweak for server admins.   The issues of fostering an economy and distinct game roles in a town context, those would need to be more 'baked in' I think.

Edited by Darmo

First of all I'd like to say this is great stuff. I love the term you used, towning, and will be using that myself now. I also agree with you on some of the roles or lack there of in TFC 1 that you pointed out and I to play SMP to see and interact with people.

You say the lack of teleportation is what you suspect killed that server. I've been on many servers that didn't have teleportation and were fine. I will agree though that people both in game in and IRL don't like crowding and have a general building distance and scenery they like to have around them. I for instance love mountains, but do know people who prefer plains, or have a love of large trees, and some who don't want to see anything but natural landscape around them. But if people are so far apart that they need teleportation to reach each other, are they really playing together? That's kinda like if you and I were watching the same movie in different houses on different screens with cellphones. I wouldn't say we are watching tv together. If you were to disable tab and chat you'd never know a soul was on in a lot of servers. 

Resources I agree are way to easy to obtain. I also agree that because resources were so easy to gain, or not much was required, it cut out the opportunities to develop worth while professions. On my first TFC server, I got into black smitithing for two reasons. I kept needing something smithed but the black smith wasn't on, and because there wasn't really anything else for me to develop. As you mentioned there isn't a big need for cloth or leather specially after everyone had beds and water sacs. Food was easy, Building took time but eventually there was no more needed because nothing wears out or gets damaged. The only things in demand was iron, coal, and clay which was because you used so much of it in smithing. 

So lets break this down.

To promote towning we need to make building more difficult by promoting professions that are in some way divided. We need to create professions by adding in more steps to each profession and generating a constant need for their products and services. We need to make sure the professions don't feel grindy by varying the tasks and requiring thought to be put into it as opposed to a single process that never changes or varies. We need a tier system to each profession so that there is a difference between a chief and me catching a pot of water on fire. The tiered systems needs to make surviving easier, because if you can get away with only eating carrots, why would you ever make chili? Some of the tasks should be made significantly easier with two people to promote people to work together. 

Should single player be considered or should we rely on mods to compensate for lack of additional player to help?

5 hours ago, Stroam said:

Should single player be considered or should we rely on mods to compensate for lack of additional player to help?

With regards to that, I believe the devs have said before that the intended target for the game is small groups.  Like several friends on a server.  I'd consider small group play to be similar to towns on large servers though.  So somewhat related in terms of balancing, perhaps.  I would assume the devs will make the mod innately possible for single player play - no mod reliance.  But, I don't know. 

Regarding the teleport thing, I wouldn't say it 'killed' the server.  But it had far fewer players than the one that had teleports.  I think the teleports mostly helped in terms of gathering the specific materials they wanted for their building, without a lot of travel (they had a dynmap).  I know it helped me in that regard.  Also a lot easier to find the metals you want if you can read stone types on a dynmap.  It just makes gameplay faster, so you can spend more time doing active things, as opposed to traveling.  It's basically more newb friendly.  And newbs do need a place to play too.  In the end, for me it was nice to not travel as much, as it allowed me to focus more on building.  And as a builder, frankly, I want people to see the things I build (and hopefully enjoy them).  The teleport server quite simply had a larger audience, and they were much more likely to actually make it to my town.

On the other hand, teleports help to destroy economy because anyone can just pop to whatever area they want to get materials.  That's a server issue though, that TFC can't really help.   What they could help is centering the economy more on players and the things they can do, and how they fit into a group dynamic.  Ways to make niches for people in a group might be through enforced divisions (classes, limited point skill webs), or perhaps via pure overwhelming amount of work - make so many tasks that take so much time, that it's difficult for one person to perform them all (though those people will always exist). Or a mixture (decaying skills).

I don't know that I'd necessarily try to make building more difficult.  I do agree that minecraft is fundamentally a building game, and don't think it enhances it to make basic building difficult.  It's already difficult enough if you try to do something big.  I wouldn't mind certain features being difficult though.  Lanterns, mechanisms for drawbridges, that sort of thing.  And if mobs gain the ability to attack structures, there will need to be countermeasures that could have degrees of difficulty.  But just building a house in town should not be limited to anyone, or difficult, imo.

Well if apply the above profession model to TFC 1.  You have:

• farmer
  • Animal Rancher
  • wood worker
  • potter
  • smith
  • cook
  • Stone mason
  • Fisher

Farmer - You've already said food is too easy, well here's a farming profession.

Finding wild plants is pretty easy but no most the time it doesn't drop seed and the seeds don't stack. Now that you've gathered seed you plant it next to water, it's late spring. This is the first time you have farmed and you have about 12 plants that you sow into the ground. 3 of the seeds get used up but generate no plants you have no idea. You ignore it for a couple days and come back and 2 of the plants are gone! That night while you are around your camp fire you observe a wild pig come up and eat 1 of your plants! You chase them away. The next day you put up a 1 high dirt wall around your crops, then dig a trench around that. You look proudly at the 6 plants that are left. Over the next few nights you observe wild pigs unable to cross your barrier. The plants are starting to get a bit higher and you notice that 5 of them are kinda of yellowish and don't know what to do about it, 4 of them die over the next few days and 1 turns green again. One day while working on something else you notice a goat has gotten over your barrier and ate 1 of the last two plants remaining! You angrily chase it off and it easily jumps over you barrier. You look down at your 1 plant left. It was the one that had turned yellow and then green again. It's almost mature. You watch it like a hawk over the next couple days as it becomes mature. You harvest your 1 carrot plant and get 2 carrots. You decide you want to replant them. The first one you fail to obtain a seed from, but the second one you get a seed.

flash forward

You are now and Adept farmer. Your wood working buddy has helped you with making a fence around your crops to keep out the animals and made lattices for growing berries, and supports for orchard trees. They also have the seed and yellowing problem with the additional problem of birds. You have learned that if you use bone meal on the soil before you plant, less of the seed fails and that you have to re-plow each time you plant in the same spot. A good portion of your crops still get yellow and die but the carrots that came from that first seed you raised seem to be more resistant. You have learned to rotating your crops helps you get more use out of the field but still have to let a field go fallow some times. You usually get 2 plants plants from a crop, though sometimes only one, and you get seed from the produce every time now. You are also starting to raise bees to produce wax for candles and wood work and honey. They have their difficulties such as getting stung, wood worker needing to build frames and replace them every other year, you need a smoker, you need to find a queen, occasionally they start swarming, and you need to moderate the amount of honey you harvest or they may die off especially in the fall and over winter. The whole honey collecting and processing has it's set of tasks. 

flash forward

You are now an expert farmer. You have found that using a mixture of bone meal and ground fish eye in a mortar and pestle on the soil almost always guarantees the seed will work. You and the wood worker have made scare crows to help protect your berries and orchards. Instead of planting by hand with each of the seeds taking up a slot, your wood working buddy has teamed up with the blacksmith this time to make you a seed planter that can hold like 25 seed. They occasionally need to fix it. You have learned yellow plants are caused by pests and have found that planting certain plants together in a field helps fight pests. You have learned that putting a 1 block gap between groups of plants helps stop the spread of pests. You now test the soil with your metal hoe to see the nutrients, soil hydration,and aeration. You have learned you occasionally need to water in the summer. You have found fish or ground up sylvite help add nutrients back into the soil and no longer have to let a field go fallow but now weeds pop up that use the nutrients at a rapid rate unless you pull them. You have cultivated various plants to be more pest resistant and to produce 2 produce almost every time, and about half the time get 2 seeds out of every produce, sometimes getting 3. You have also made yourself a bee keepers outfit from flax that prevents you from getting stung.

flash forward

You are now a master farmer. Your blacksmith and wood worker have come together again to upgrade your seed planter to use the bonemeal mixture you've been using and it even uses it more slowly than you would have by hand. Your stone mason and wood worker have made a seed refilling stations so all you have to do is click your seed planter on the one you want the seed for and it fills it up. Your cook has made a pesticide from extra garlic and weeds that works great on your crops and orchards. You never lose plants when you add that to your other pest prevention techniques and has also made alcohol which is really effective at killing weeds. Your crops you have cultivated to produce 2 to 3 produce every time, they are drought resistant so you no longer need to water them during the summer, and you get 2 to 3 seed from each produce meaning you have plenty of seed and produce. 

I could go on like this with each profession but I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this one and see what others come up with for each profession. Darmo, you mentioned some sort of barrier. If all the professions were like this I can't imagine you having time for more than three of them. Specially if the wood worker gets through 2 weeks before the farmer gets back on. That could be quite the set back for the farmer starting out.

Edited by Stroam
added 1 more thing

So I'll try and compile a list of some threads about trades here.  This will only included stuff from since I joined the forums, so there may well be more in the distant past.  There's also going to be stuff I forgot about.   I think that a suggestion thread for farming would probably be more appropriate for detailed discussion of that skill. 

Here is The Trades thread, which sort of covered some broad-brush topics (this is a thread I was looking for earlier in our discussions about trades).

Major classes/professions: Main Magic Thread,   Alchemy threadMartial Skills thread.  Here I'm defining "profession" as something that incorporates combat elements to allow it to progress and conquer islands

Trades: Butchering, Gem Cutting (lapidary), Glass BlowingAnimal Breeding, pottery, beekeeping, and wood cutting.  Cooking has threads here (Bioxx started) and here.  I'm defining "trade" as a skill that does not involve being aggressive in order to advance up the island tiers, but has enough complexity to possibly have it's own skill.

Smithing has a variety of threads.  Metal Tiers is a major one started by Bioxx.  Smithing Depth and Smithing Bonus Based on Player Skill , case hardening, pattern welding, and metal casting, are a few others.  There's been tons really.

I don't think there's been a dedicated agriculture thread since I showed up, but I touch on the subject here, In this post I sort of derail from the taste thread a bit, to touch on ways to make agriculture harder.

Also here is a post by Bioxx about Believable, which I actually had not seen till now.  Somewhat old, but maybe still a good window into his thinking.

If anyone know of other good threads on trades, or even good derailings about them, let me know and I'll add them to the compendium.  This is what I could find quickly, and/or remember personally.

Edited by Darmo

Hardcore/ Extreme difficulty brings players together if they are already part of a group and pushes them apart if they are not. If you are playing with friends who you know already, making the game impossibly difficult brings you together, kind of like those corporate team building exercises. If you are playing with strangers, then trying to cooperate with them on difficult tasks is just going to make you resent them and quit the server.

Going to stay here in this topic because I feel we don't have to worry about derailment which happened in the magic thread. If something of note gets written I'll copy paste it into the appropriate thread. 

The trade - You already know how I feel about hard barriers.

• Magic  - we've covered,  
  • Alchemy - I'll respond in detail there. I feel you have some details about how to start, and then list the end products, and hand wave how to connect them. 
  • martial - until you give me enemies I can't handle, I don't see a point in making it easier to kill.
  • butchering - great detail, feels quite fleshed out one might say.
  • Gem cutting - Again great detail, feels like it only needs a fine polish and to be included under jeweler. The idea of gem currency I like. 
  • Glass blowing - Seems fun. Only issue I have is the block dragging, since it's spinning shouldn't what ever you do on the top half effect the bottom? Also if that's the case do you need to show both halfs?
  • Animal breeding - Was going to comment on this one till i saw it was over a year old. The AI in minecraft just isn't there to support a good portion of the proposition. 
  • Pottery - has a lot it can improve on. Details later.
  • Bees - I might add more to that.

At this point I am at a little bit of information overload. 

• Wood cutting - Will add to later. 
  • cooking - 
  • Smithing and metal - It's one of the most discussed and detailed of the professions. There's a lot to go through and probably little to add. 
  • Agriculture - the "here" link is broken, and in the other one I'll take the time later to parse it out the info.

10 minutes ago, Peffern said:

Hardcore/ Extreme difficulty brings players together if they are already part of a group and pushes them apart if they are not.

There is some psychology aspects behind that statement that my mind won't go into at the moment. I'm not saying your wrong or right, just that there is interesting discussion to be had there later if so inclined. 

That's cool, not trying to move the entire discussion.  Just thought if we wanted to get deep into agriculture, I'd hate for it to be lost under a thread that doesn't even have a related title. Not saying you have to post under any of those threads either, but it does help when thoughts are collected.  Very easy to lose track of threads in 8 pages of discussion.

There was definitely a hand-wave on alchemy, because the system I was going for was rather complex and I was kind of hoping for dev feedback regarding whether it  was even feasible/desirable for them, before I spent a ton of time trying to flesh out details.

Glass blowing is an approximation, just like clay knapping or smithing in TFC1.  Neither of these are really close simulations of the rl actions they represent.   The more actual moves the player must do, the more skill it takes to complete.  It's less moves if things are mirrored.

'here' link is fixed.

In regards to alchemy, something neat that uses flasks, randomization by seed, and what not that you may take inspiration from here. Made by the same person who made Witchery I believe. I loved that mod and this one looks pretty awesome as well.

Cooking - I should add to that thread.

smithing/metal - Since that was a year ago and I think I saw a comment somewhere that he's already done the ore spawning, I don't think adding there is useful. I see on the github a lot of commits called anvil stuff as well.

We should indeed make an agriculture thread. 

The thing I love most about Emoniphs mods is the amazing animations he uses.  Animated armor?!  I didn't know that was possible!  The arranging of 4 items to match a random order isn't particularly compelling, but his overall creativity of effects and animation is amazing.  His processes are very original, unencumbered by preconceived notions from D&D or other systems, near as I can tell.

Oh I'm sure Emoniph knows what DnD is and has even played it or games inspired by it. I just think Emoniph is very creative, an experienced modder, and was looking into psychology at that time. Which makes that mod a good example at what can be done with the new minecraft system.

A shared attitude/goal among players really helps.   If you want to encourage more community involvement, the the rewards for working together must be much greater than what's available to an individual.  Similar to what the good MMO's do.  You can play most of the game by yourself, but to get the really good stuff/beat the bosses, you need to team up.  In the end though it's all about personality.  If you want a server of helpful friendly people then you need to set the tone.  Make people feel appreciated and welcome.   So many servers fail on this and have to resort to gimmicks to keep players.   I was on a great server for the last 2 years, where even the staff loved playing on it and it showed.

I have an official 1.10.2 mod pack on Curse right now that makes it impossible for a single player to take on the mobs/dungeons by themselves.   Work together or die. 

This is just on normal difficulty. ;)

Once I've done some more tweaking, it will take a party of 4 or more to take on any of the challenges.  D&D style. 

Great thread BTW.  I've done a lot of thinking and wondering on this same topic lately. 

On 10/22/2016 at 0:21 PM, WillOfStone said:

I have an official 1.10.2 mod pack on Curse right now that makes it impossible for a single player to take on the mobs/dungeons by themselves.   Work together or die. 

Using a suit of mithril, potions, bow with arrows, tinker pick, torches, souleater, and making paths just on the outside of the dungeon and they go down pretty easy, though the loot isn't worth it. All of that you can get in about 8 hours with no real fear of dying or running out of food in your pack from the single player run I just did. 

On 10/22/2016 at 0:21 PM, WillOfStone said:

shared attitude/goal among players really helps. 

I think this is a good part of it, but it's a glue that holds people already bonded. I am looking for the right combination to glue people together who have a mild dislike for each other. Something similar to how a house or apartment binds you to an area even though you may dislike one of your neighbors. What binds you there is the hassle and cost of moving, distance to the place you work, friends and family. The last server I was on had a setup that auto produced milk over time. After the initial setup I didn't need to do anything else. With 10 ish people on that server I could not give the milk away. People there would rather round up the cows and milk them, than get stacks of milk free because it was more convenient for them to just go get milk then occasionally asking for some. If you want people who would otherwise not work together, you need to make going your own a lot more of a hassle then sticking to the established area. The issue is if thing become easier late game, what stops someone from taking their high level tools they've gathered and now making a place elsewhere. So far the only way I've seen is developing food into a full time profession that takes 1 or more people so if they were to move, food is what they would be doing because they don't have the man power to do more, or they will still be coming back to the main town to trade if they didn't focus on food.

Edited by Stroam

I'm with Will, I think that in terms of game mechanic incentives, the top end incentives are the way to go.  And by that I mean, like Will said, making it so the best stuff is only attainable via cooperation.  I think that's preferable to bottom end incentives, by which I mean making menial tasks so tortuous that no one person wants to do them all, and so people depend on each other for basic functionality.  Sort of carrot vs stick, I'd say.    I would say that anyone should be able to *get by* and progress through the islands on their own.  It'll just take longer and be harder, and they may top out at lower tier islands than a band of allies would.  But as long as they can do 95% of the stuff in the game, that should be sufficient I think.  The best food, best weapons, best armor, and best magic may only be attainable (and sustainable?) through teamwork, and I think that would be a strong driver for SMP crowds.  I add sustainable in there, because if top tier tools not only require cooperation to make, but to keep going, that will go a little further in encouraging people to stick together.  Like in Fallout 4, sure, you've got your power armor.  But you still need those fusion cores to use it.

I guess my view is people will only depend on each other as far as they have to or if the difference in convenience to effort is great enough. In certain games, mostly WOW, there is a term PUG(Pickup Group). It refers to a group that has one or more members who are randomly assigned to the group and usually has a negative context associated with it. This negative context come from stereotypes of people joining up and deciding a group of random strangers is a good time to test something out or simply not knowing the norms of the group and does something contrary. As I recall, these random members you would only group with when you needed to and not much longer. By grounding the need in the basic survival of the game it brings players together that would not normally work that closely with other players for the duration of the game. Now I also understand that frustration of having to work with others may drive individuals from playing the game at all so I guess it all depends on who you are developing the game for. I also feel that mods typically make game play easier and so it's better to make the core more difficult so people can find the right balance with mods, then to make the core easier. Examples include udary, terramisc, tfc scales, automated bellows, cellars, leather water sac.

Edited by Stroam
grammar

So many great discussions. So little feedback. 

Players are binded by a common goal, which is usually end game content for most games. Given this, it really helps when you find that group of people who share your common goal and all the quirks of achieving it because in all honesty no one farms without getting bored and looking for another thing to do to pass the boredom. Take my situation as an example, me and my buddies play minecraft for the sole purpose of letting of steam, we play league of legends most of the time and it really stresses everyone out not to mention that we are juggling gaming with studies. Our common goal is to play minecraft for fun and relaxation, but nowadays we discovered a website that will help us with our assignments and paperworks that we have more time playing than stressing over other things. I guess my bottom line is find a group or play with friends to ensure that you're binded. Thank you.