Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kickinit233

Heat treating and cold working

3 posts in this topic

As an inspiring blacksmith I love tfc accuracy  on so many things, but on thing always grinder my gears was the lack of a fundamental blacksmithing feature and that's heat treating/work hardening . Here is how I would implement it.

For heat treatable metals it would start with the heating of a blade in the furnace when the blade reaches critical temp you remove it with tongs and dunk it in oil or water. However there are three possible errors 1. The blade bends, the most common error which can be solved by reheating the blade and pounding it on the anvil then heating ans requenching the blade. 2. The second most common error is cracking the blade, cracks come in all shapes and sizes so I would have a random table of cracks from hairline (small crack) to spiderweb  (multiple branching cracks) cracks would not destroy your blade just lower the durability depending on the type of crack. 3. Shattering a rare (1 in 50 or 1 in 100 depending) chance that the blade shatters open quench destroying the blade. At that point you would have to resmelt the piece into a bar and start again. Now depending on if you quench in water or oil your chance of cracking can increase or decrease, quenching in water increases both the chance of cracking and shattering quenching in oil decreases the chance of cracking or shattering. I they decide to add enchantments or magical items you could add quenching in blood which would increase its enchantability but also increase the risk of shattering or cracking.

Now I'm not expecting everyone to know this but heat treating softens copper and copper based alloys, so they must be work hardened. This would work by simply placing the blade on an anvil and hitting it with a special hammer. However hammer to quickly and you risk cracking the blade. While heat treating iron and steel is a quick high risk operation, work hardening is a slow low risk task, taking almost all in minecraft day to complete.

These are the items I would propose:

1.Heated versions of blades and tools heads.

2. Oil: not a added item olive oil works or you could add other oils.

3. Hamon clay: clay mixed with water, when applied to an unheated blade it increase the durability of a blade given the heat treat works.

4. Molten salt: an alternative to quenching in liquid. This process decreases the risk of shattering and cracking however it takes all day to preform.

5. Work hammer: a hammer specifically designed to work hardening items.

6. Not an added item but the barrel could be used as a quench tank.

7. Grindstone: used to get rid of minor cracks incapable of removing large cracks.

8. The hardest thing I would want would be a multiblock structure of a trip hammer powered by a water wheels, not only can it be used to autonomously work harden your blades it can also smash rocks into minute pieces of ore and make bigger chunks of ore into smaller pieces for alloying.

Trip-hammer_forge.jpg

9. Is a change of preexisting game function by making the preexisting forge nonexistent and replacing it with a primitive dirt trench forge and by having an upgraded version made from fire bricks made from fireclay

Something along the lines of this:trenchforge.jpg

And those are my ideas.

Edited by kickinit233

And since we're at it, we should be able to have hot weapons and tools, which would do more damage against some mobs and less against others. For example, even through sharpness is weak against skeletons, a hot sharp weapon would do more damage, because the temperature difference would weaken the bones making the skeleton.

I really like this suggestion, as it would add some needed variety to smithing.

On 22/3/2017 at 2:23 PM, SapioiT said:

And since we're at it, we should be able to have hot weapons and tools, which would do more damage against some mobs and less against others. For example, even through sharpness is weak against skeletons, a hot sharp weapon would do more damage, because the temperature difference would weaken the bones making the skeleton.

I don't really think that would work, as hot metal is easily deformed. I think that the same could be done through the upcoming magic system: you could apply a "Heat" magic (or fire, or whatever you want to call it) and have it do more damage towards skeletons (and other things that are weak against heat, duh).

Edited by TheSnarkyKnight