Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
kickinit233

Fish, invterabrates, and other search and shore animals

30 posts in this topic

Agree a rake would make more sense.

The main point for me is to avoid mechanics that would require the player to remove sand blocks and in the process destroy the environment.

It always bothered me when on a server and I would come up to an area devoided of gravel because a player was gold panning  .

One of the features that I really loved in TFC was the whole tree coming down, so no more floating trees.   

I like the idea of more marine fauna, but the fishing process depicted in the document seems unnecessarily convoluted (though it be great for a mod). For example, why the need of several spears? Are we going to be fishing with spears after the stone/copper age, if not why to put so much attention to that? Don't get me wrong, I love fishing in real life, but TFC is a mod and there are not many programmers in the team. It would be better if you simplify it much more. Something in the lines of:

For simple fishing: Fishing stone spear (stone-copper age, random fish, low rate) -> Fishing road (copper age, random fish, medium rate) -> fishing bronze baits (bronze age, specific fish, medium rate) ->  magic imbued fishing baits (if magic will exist in TFC2, first or second magic age after bronze, specific fish, high rate)

The idea for this line is: 1st, stone age survival (maybe not so easy to catch, but food is food). 2nd, easier food source for long lasting exploration (always have a fishing road in your pack). 3rd catching a particular fish for something in particular, maybe is an alchemy ingredient or the fish that you like (here is the "complex" part of fishing, knowing which bait to use for a specific fish, could be random in every world). 4th, the "god" tier.  

For mass catching (all random fish): net (copper-bronze age, harder to make than rod, low durability), bronze trap (put and forget, fish rate 1 fish every X minutes/hours, N fish maximum, low durability), steel trap (put and forget, fish rate similar to bronze, medium durability), magical steel trap (like steel just much more durable). Bait + trap = higher fishing rate. Magical bait + trap = much higher fishing rate.

The idea of this line is simple; getting fish, a lot of fish. Maybe an alternative for those that don't like fishing, maybe a food source for larger groups. 

Now, if the devs want it more complex challenge, there is always pisciculture. That is complex enough in itself.

I don't think every feature should necessarily have to fit into the metal progression.

In fact, focusing too many features into metal progression just makes the game feel that much more grindy. Living off the sea is one of the things that non-industrial islander nations have done since ages back with absolutely no assistance from metalworking.

I suppose you could throw in some higher tech versions of spears etc, but putting a lot of these things behind a blockade of access to metal isn't really believable.

On 2/8/2017 at 4:40 PM, kotoroshinoto said:

I don't think every feature should necessarily have to fit into the metal progression.

In fact, focusing too many features into metal progression just makes the game feel that much more grindy. Living off the sea is one of the things that non-industrial islander nations have done since ages back with absolutely no assistance from metalworking.

I suppose you could throw in some higher tech versions of spears etc, but putting a lot of these things behind a blockade of access to metal isn't really believable.

May I  ask how is not believable gate the progress of technologies because of better materials? Is not that you cannot fish without metal tools. Pick a pair of stone, make a lance and try your luck... or you can do it it sharp pieces of wood. In game that would be represented as maybe one wood tool from the beginning or maybe a stone spear. But there is a limitation of where you can fish with a spear... you cannot fish with a spear in some places, or it would require a lot of luck to do it (and let not touch the durability of the spear and hitting a rock with it). But with a piece of string and a tiny piece of metal in the shape of a hook and you can fish deeper and faster, you can change spots much more easily that you can do with a spear. 

The same applies to the tools to make different traps. Some stone tools are extremely sharp and can be used to carve wood easily, but the durability is another factor. Metals tools came to revolutionized every piece of technology made from stone. Easier to handle, more durable and with the capability of making more complex things.

It is not "gated" per-se, you can easily ignore the progression of the metal tiers and catch fishes with rudimentary equipment (talking about TFC2). On the other hand, creating better tools and improving the technology with the acquiring of better materials is believable, I even dare to say that it would be realistic.