Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
aluc24

Getting straw in extreme latitudes

17 posts in this topic

Hi,

I decided to start TFC over again, but this time, far in the North to make things extremely difficult. My latitude is -25000, meaning that growing crops will be very difficult. So far, I love the challenge. The problem is, I can't find tall grass to get straw. Wiki says "it regrows during warm season when the conditions are right". What are these conditions? Do I need to wait until the middle of summer or something? My biome is Plains/Rolling Hills. There's a forest nearby. It's Early Summer now, but I can't find any straw on the island I'm on.

So, will the tall grass grow in my latitude? If not, is it possible to progress without it?

I would say that if you can't find long grass your progress will be severely limited - Long grass is the source for straw, which you will need to fire your pit kilns.

This assumes there's not a plethora of grain crops around where you cut the mature crop and get straw as a by-product.
(At your latitude I think this is rather unlikely.)

1 hour ago, ChunkHunter said:

I would say that if you can't find long grass your progress will be severely limited - Long grass is the source for straw, which you will need to fire your pit kilns.

This assumes there's not a plethora of grain crops around where you cut the mature crop and get straw as a by-product.
(At your latitude I think this is rather unlikely.)

Yes, I know that. No crops so far. So, what temperature does tall grass need to grow in TFC? Will it ever grow in my latitude?

I believe that the minimum temperature is ~12oC. 

10 hours ago, Bunsan said:

I believe that the minimum temperature is ~12oC. 

Okay, my temperatures in summer are definitely way above that. Even crops are growing. But tall grass doesn't. Why? Does it not grow in Plain and Rolling Hill biomes?

It grows everywhere. It just checks for temperature and light levels. 

4 hours ago, Bunsan said:

It grows everywhere. It just checks for temperature and light levels. 

Temperatures are about 5 to 12°C, and there's grass blocks and sunlight everywhere. Tall grass still doesn't grow. Are you sure -10°C is the limit?

I put ~ not -. So approximately 12oC is the minimum. So if your temperatures are 5 to 12oC there is very little time it would meet the minimum temperature to even roll the dice for a tall grass to spawn in (which is a semi rare event at the best of times).

9 hours ago, Bunsan said:

I put ~ not -. So approximately 12oC is the minimum. So if your temperatures are 5 to 12oC there is very little time it would meet the minimum temperature to even roll the dice for a tall grass to spawn in (which is a semi rare event at the best of times).

Okay... I see. So there's no way to progress beyond knapping in these extreme latitudes?

P.S. I just noticed, through experimenting, that no long grass grows beyond 16,000 or -16,000 Z axis, irrelevant of the temperature. It is a hard line. This is quite surprising, because I never saw anything about it in the official documentation.

Edited by aluc24

1 hour ago, Stroam said:

Don't you still get straw from grains?

Speaking of which, grains also don't appear to be growing past 16,000 or -16,000, irrelevant of the temperature. 15,999 they grow fine, 16,000 they don't grow at all. So I can't tell...

As grains IRL are simply a type of grass, I would very much doubt if they will grow in game where long grass doesn't...

39 minutes ago, ChunkHunter said:

As grains IRL are simply a type of grass, I would very much doubt if they will grow in game where long grass doesn't...

Well, yeah, but why the hard limit at 16,000? 

3 hours ago, ChunkHunter said:

arbitrary line in the sand ;)

It is strange that none of these things can be found on wiki...

The line is a bit of a MC thing. You see the same thing with acacia/kapok jungles. My guess is that the avg temp is leveraged in world gen and at -16000 you hit point where it doesn't generate. If you hung out there it may generate.

2 hours ago, Bunsan said:

The line is a bit of a MC thing. You see the same thing with acacia/kapok jungles. My guess is that the avg temp is leveraged in world gen and at -16000 you hit point where it doesn't generate. If you hung out there it may generate.

Well, I actually spent some time at the -16,000 line in creative mod (left MC running overnight) - even through several summers and winters, no tall grass grew past on the North side of that line, and grew perfectly fine on the South side. I think it has something to do with average year temperature. Somewhere around -16,000, it becomes negative. Maybe that's the hard-coded thing that prevents tall grass from growing when the average yearly temperature is as low as -0.01°C ?