Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Peffern

Creating a Well Addon - Help with Theorycrafting

30 posts in this topic

On 1/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, ShneekeyTheLost said:

Where, precisely, do you think the water in the irrigation channel came from? Water comes up from a well. These days, you use an electric pump. Back in the frontier era, it was hand-pumped, or perhaps windmill-pumped. If you ever find yourself in central Texas, I'll show you the system my family has been using for over a century, back when Texas was still part of Mexico, before it became an independent nation, much less before it joined the US. Original system was a hand-pump. That was probably rather tiring for the crops area, the one out by the horse stables is a pain to pump, but perfectly functional for refilling water troughs. Then someone got the bright idea to stick a windmill and something that looks rather like a pumpjack you'd find on an oil well to get water moving along at a steady clip. Best guess is that one was installed back in the days of Spindletop. But both of those require a lot more technical knowledge than Steve, in vanilla TFC, has.

What we are doing here is called a 'deliberate anachronism', one that probably hasn't been used since the 1600's or so.  The sort of thing that Timmy keeps falling down. Basically, we're talking about being a one-man bucket brigade, either manually filling the cistern that feeds the irrigation system manually or just hauling up one bucket at a time from the well to fill barrels. Again, we are talking verisimilitude, not realism.

The mod's intent is NOT to replace something like the Aqueous Accumulator, or the BC Pump over a water source. If that is what you are looking for, there are many other mods that fill that niche. It is intended to be able to provide a water source in areas far away from natural fresh water sources (islands and mountains being two good areas) that produces a slow but consistent supply of water.

Around here they are fed by man made lakes and rivers. Didn't think drawing up buckets of water would be enough to water crops using furrows like minecraft does it. Do you water your crops using drip tubes, sprinklers, pivots, or furrows?

I didn't think it would replace a powered block. When a form of non-mechanical power is involved anything is possible, even things that seem like magic. However as much as I like the idea of living on a mountain, unless there's a lake, there's going to be no aquifer. Yes there are few exceptions. 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:50 AM, Peffern said:

how big should the buffer be?
how quickly should the buffer refill?

based on the depth of the well, rock type, and environmental factors. Ideas welcome.

Buffer should be represented by (depth of well)-(start depth of aquifer)

Start depth of aquifer should be sea height minus some random number between sea height and 0 based off of world seed and chunk. 

Refill rate could be based off of rainfall amount with some biomes blacklisted such as mountains, beaches, and oceans.

While rock type does make sense from a realistic perspective, but anyway you think of to determining that can be fooled by the player replacing some of the natural stone with stone gathered from else where. Short of asking the TFC world generator which I would imagine wouldn't be that quick, there's no way to be sure. So I'd just ignore rock type.

If you do ask the TFC world gen I'd use this as a guide. Have aquifers have % chance in each rock type and rates be the mean for the rock type plus or minus an appropriate value. Also an aquifer in salt rock would be worse than drinking sea water.

3 hours ago, Stroam said:

Around here they are fed by man made lakes and rivers. Didn't think drawing up buckets of water would be enough to water crops using furrows like minecraft does it. Do you water your crops using drip tubes, sprinklers, pivots, or furrows?

I didn't think it would replace a powered block. When a form of non-mechanical power is involved anything is possible, even things that seem like magic. However as much as I like the idea of living on a mountain, unless there's a lake, there's going to be no aquifer. Yes there are few exceptions. 

Buffer should be represented by (depth of well)-(start depth of aquifer)

Start depth of aquifer should be sea height minus some random number between sea height and 0 based off of world seed and chunk. 

Refill rate could be based off of rainfall amount with some biomes blacklisted such as mountains, beaches, and oceans.

While rock type does make sense from a realistic perspective, but anyway you think of to determining that can be fooled by the player replacing some of the natural stone with stone gathered from else where. Short of asking the TFC world generator which I would imagine wouldn't be that quick, there's no way to be sure. So I'd just ignore rock type.

If you do ask the TFC world gen I'd use this as a guide. Have aquifers have % chance in each rock type and rates be the mean for the rock type plus or minus an appropriate value. Also an aquifer in salt rock would be worse than drinking sea water.

I am going to be asking the world gen. And I got an earth scientist friend to give me porosity data. However, the numbers are going to be fudged a bit for balance purposes – since taking the numbers as I currently have them creates a 6000x difference between the most effective and least effective wells, so I'll be shrinking that gap.

1 hour ago, Peffern said:

I am going to be asking the world gen. And I got an earth scientist friend to give me porosity data. However, the numbers are going to be fudged a bit for balance purposes – since taking the numbers as I currently have them creates a 6000x difference between the most effective and least effective wells, so I'll be shrinking that gap.

Awesome. Are you also going to make an item or block to provide soil hydration?

15 hours ago, Stroam said:

Awesome. Are you also going to make an item or block to provide soil hydration?

This is not planned at the moment, but I might add it later. I'm concerned about balance.

A "first draft" of the wells addon is available on my mod post in the main Addon Forum! I probably won't work on this until after midterm exams are over, so consider this a finished draft unless there are major bugs.