Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
abandoned mines

underground rivers, lakes, and crystal caves (a better view for your underground base)

100 posts in this topic

... it's already 100 deep in plains, according to my game ._. that's not enough?

well im thinking like from the deeps of Khazad Dum to the height of the endless stairs should fit in a decent sized mountain

... it's already 100 deep in plains, according to my game ._. that's not enough?

i agree with Just_Another_Guy_:) the world is nice and deep already.

all we need to do is get the geology correct (ie ores spawn in veins in mountains, veins spawn in long thin layers that end off at large nodes, caves feel more natural and less random with large open areas)

i believe my idea for better fitting ore gen would greatly effect beginning players (making ore visible on the surface).

The world in TFC is 256 meaning that blocks can be generated untill that height, it already increases the rendering time in 10%. I agree with infimus all that is needed for the world gen is to get the geology right. But, that means a more complex algorithm and I guess bioxx is pleased with the current one and will not change that, the future of the mod is more looking at gameplay than world gen.

The world in TFC is 256 meaning that blocks can be generated untill that height, it already increases the rendering time in 10%. I agree with infimus all that is needed for the world gen is to get the geology right. But, that means a more complex algorithm and I guess bioxx is pleased with the current one and will not change that, the future of the mod is more looking at gameplay than world gen.

For what it is worth, extending the height of the world by another 128 pretty much makes the game unplayable by most low end machines, which seem to be prolific in the minecraft area.

If Cubic Chunks ever moves forward again and it gets integrated into TFC then you can be assured this sort of thing should happen :D

As for the issues about world gen. I do not think by any means that the world gen is finished so do not frett about that. Bioxx tries to get most of his current-needed World Gen done at once (As was see in the last set of updates where we now have oceans that are OMG big).

If Cubic Chunks ever moves forward again and it gets integrated into TFC then you can be assured this sort of thing should happen :D

I don't know why minecraft wasn't cubic in the first place, there are already voxel based games that implemments cubic chunks (and look like minecraft).

BTW, trying to make a precise geological model is pretty much impossible... (sedimentary-metamorphic-igneous is as true as randomness is true). Thats why focusing on gameplay and balance are more likely to be the focus.

I'm curious, when you guys say "low end" how low are you talking?

I consider Low-end to be any computer you have to play on small or tiny render distance, with most of your settings set to the lowest possible.

The computer I am on now, is a low-mid-range macbook pro (I hate macs, but got stuck with this for school :( ), and I can't go beyond normal render distance, and struggle on fancy settings.

My desktop is one of the new (just got it in April-ish) small Alienware desktops, it has 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, a decent graphics card ( i think it is a 1gb Nvidia geforce), and an intel i7 processor. It handles Skyrim, with tons of graphical mods on Ultra, with absolute buttery smoothness :). While it may not be High end price wise (it cost about $1400) It definitely performs perfectly, so I personally consider it High-end performance, in a package just about the same size as an original xbox.

I consider Low-end to be any computer you have to play on small or tiny render distance, with most of your settings set to the lowest possible.

The computer I am on now, is a low-mid-range macbook pro (I hate macs, but got stuck with this for school :( ), and I can't go beyond normal render distance, and struggle on fancy settings.

My desktop is one of the new (just got it in April-ish) small Alienware desktops, it has 8gb ram, 1tb hdd, a decent graphics card ( i think it is a 1gb Nvidia geforce), and an intel i7 processor. It handles Skyrim, with tons of graphical mods on Ultra, with absolute buttery smoothness :). While it may not be High end price wise (it cost about $1400) It definitely performs perfectly, so I personally consider it High-end performance, in a package just about the same size as an original xbox.

your machine sounds alot like my new one :D

mines got 20gb ram 2tb hdd and same graphics card as you

dells do seem to work really well if you know how to take care of them

mine cost me about $1160

your machine sounds alot like my new one :D

mines got 20gb ram 2tb hdd and same graphics card as you

dells do seem to work really well if you know how to take care of them

mine cost me about $1160

20gb RAM? Is that even possible? I have 12 and is way too much...

20gb RAM? Is that even possible? I have 12 and is way too much...

20gb is definitely possible, some people have machines with 64gb of ram. It all depends on what you are doing and how many things you are doing at the same time for ram to be considered too much or too little, I'm sure for some people 4gb is fine, and for others 12gb isn't enough. Personally I really only need 8gb, I also couldn't afford more :P.

20gb is definitely possible, some people have machines with 64gb of ram. It all depends on what you are doing and how many things you are doing at the same time for ram to be considered too much or too little, I'm sure for some people 4gb is fine, and for others 12gb isn't enough. Personally I really only need 8gb, I also couldn't afford more :P.

You can go up to 128gb, but I don't see why someone would do that on a PC... On a cluster thats a different story. The last simulator I've wrote, without any optimisation, would use up to 72Gb RAM to store a sparse matrix (the whole 27000x27000 thing), so this gave me the impression that with the increase of memory and velocity of processors people will be more lazy and write shitty code just because the computer can handle.

BTW, now the simulator consumes less than 1Gb...

i use my machine for a terrain generator program that my school uses

we are given underground drilling results and hav to map out what the mineral structures would look like under ground.

the programs simple and doesn't use alot of RAM, the rendering part to acully veiw the 3D image is what made me get 20gb on my new computer.

i use my machine for a terrain generator program that my school uses

we are given underground drilling results and hav to map out what the mineral structures would look like under ground.

the programs simple and doesn't use alot of RAM, the rendering part to acully veiw the 3D image is what made me get 20gb on my new computer.

Dataminer?

We should add underground crops, better if they can glow, so you can make an exclusive underground farm of something new.

I'm curious, when you guys say "low end" how low are you talking?

If you are running minecraft on Normal with no texture packs and are getting <30FPS then I would say your computer is on the low end of processing power.

We should add underground crops, better if they can glow, so you can make an exclusive underground farm of something new.

Plump helmet?

Plump helmet?

Something like this. Also plump helmet if you want. This will bring us to underground wheat...

bu.. but... plants NEED light to survive!! Photosynthesis just doesn't happen without light. So unless you are thinking various types of fungi, such as mushrooms, then underground plants are absolutely ridonculous my good sir.

DISCLAIMER

In my opinion this absolutely not believable, just because it doesn't make sense to me personally. I would rather avoid the R v. B debate because it should be obvious to most who have seen anything I've posted on the topic where I stand, realism sucks, believability is the bee's knees.

bu.. but... plants need light to survive!! Photosynthesis just doesn't happen without light. So unless you are thinking various types of fungi, such as mushrooms, then underground plants are absolutely ridonculous my good sir.

No, I was meaning that in DF there is also underground wheat, I know that this can't exist, but I was thinking that plump helmets was bringing us in DF. However I was trying to suggest luminescent mushrooms or something like that.

No, I was meaning that in DF there is also underground wheat, I know that this can't exist, but I was thinking that plump helmets was bringing us in DF. However I was trying to suggest luminescent mushrooms or something like that.

Glowing mushrooms is something I can get behind. Underground golden waves of grain? fuck no.

Just my humble opinion :)

"All aboard the derail train!"

What exactly are plump helmets? I've always wondered what I've been feeding my dwarves in every fortress I've ever had.

Photosynthesis is only one means of plant survival. Plants can and have lived without the sun in many places on earth, probably since they've been around. Otherwise a single event that shrouded the entire earth would have destroyed all plant life as we know it. One such example of this is the chemosynthesis used by plantlife surrounding geothermal vents.

Also, Plump Helmets are a type of mushroom. Mushrooms have been contested to be plant and animal in the past, but are currently classified as fungi. They don't contain chlorophyll and don't take part in photosynthesis, as they get the nutrients needed from whatever they're growing on in a parasitic fashion.

Also, Plump Helmets are a type of mushroom. Mushrooms have been contested to be plant and animal in the past, but are currently classified as fungi. They don't contain chlorophyll and don't take part in photosynthesis, as they get the nutrients needed from whatever they're growing on in a parasitic fashion.

Do you know that you can use them like an helmet in case of war?

No, just joking. :)

Photosynthesis is only one means of plant survival. Plants can and have lived without the sun in many places on earth, probably since they've been around. Otherwise a single event that shrouded the entire earth would have destroyed all plant life as we know it.

Does "the cretacic's extinction" means anything to you? While the asteroid that supposely impacted earth eliminated inmediatly all the lifeforms around the impact zone, it didn't erradicated 99% of the species that existed in the moment just like that. A giant cloud of dust, mostly remains from the asteroid, sorrounded the Earth for about three hundred years -if i recall correctly-. That killed all the plants in the world, therefore leaving to starvation the herbivorous dinosaurs -and those who feed from these ones too when they where gone-. The plants survived because their seeds remained intact, which was enough for them to eventually appear back; the mamals survived becuase by then they were only some rat-like animals whose main food source was seeds. The dust cloud layed down after all, leaving the earth covered in iridium rich dust -that's why this iridium can be found in most of the planet, in the cretaceous-paleogene boundary-

One such example of this is the chemosynthesis used by plantlife surrounding geothermal vents.

Those are not plants. Those are animals, which are not even making the chemosynthesis themselves, but feeding from the bacteria that does (Archeabacteries). Mostly, Giant tube worms.

Plants are pretty much screwed if out of the light, even shade plants need it (in a minor percentage). And don't even say "sea weed", those are not plants.

Does "the cretacic's extinction" means anything to you? While the asteroid that supposely impacted earth eliminated inmediatly all the lifeforms around the impact zone, it didn't erradicated 99% of the species that existed in the moment just like that. A giant cloud of dust, mostly remains from the asteroid, sorrounded the Earth for about three hundred years -if i recall correctly-. That killed all the plants in the world, therefore leaving to starvation the herbivorous dinosaurs -and those who feed from these ones too when they where gone-. The plants survived because their seeds remained intact, which was enough for them to eventually appear back; the mamals survived becuase by then they were only some rat-like animals whose main food source was seeds. The dust cloud layed down after all, leaving the earth covered in iridium rich dust -that's why this iridium can be found in most of the planet, in the cretaceous-paleogene boundary-

Those are not plants. Those are animals, which are not even making the chemosynthesis themselves, but feeding from the bacteria that does (Archeabacteries). Mostly, Giant tube worms.

Plants are pretty much screwed if out of the light, even shade plants need it (in a minor percentage). And don't even say "sea weed", those are not plants.

And here I'd almost forgotten why I liked you.

There it is.

yeah, i haven't posted scientific stuff in a while :P but i just couldn't resist doing so in this case...