Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
abandoned mines

underground rivers, lakes, and crystal caves (a better view for your underground base)

100 posts in this topic

hi there

last night i was borred and so started hunting around the web for minecraft irl

one of the things i found were the Naica crystal caves in mexico. these series of massive underground caverns contain gigantic gypsum crystals.

Posted Image

anouther thing i found was a talk on massive underground rivers that run through ravines similar to those in minecraft

these rivers flow far below the surface and are massive, with many flowing into vast unexplored underground lakes.

Posted Image

within these caves, it would be awesome to find some form of naturally glowing rock formation to provide light and ambiance

these cave structures would be found really deep underground and could stretch a great amount of distance. this would be a personal favorite idea, as i really really want to go rafting down an underground river :D

i am open to other ideas

this looks like a great idea but im not sure how it would turn out in-game

not meaning to rain on your cave parade, but isnt TFC trying to discourage underground bases?

this looks like a great idea but im not sure how it would turn out in-game

not meaning to rain on your cave parade, but isnt TFC trying to discourage underground bases?

true, but my thinking was just to up the WOW factor abit underground as right now i actually hate finding caves as they lack anything interesting. at least in vanila minecraft you could find an abandoned mineshaft or stronghold. not once have i seeen an ore in a cave, and the way rock currently spawns means you get massive tunnels that look really odd with only one or two kinds of colour showing through. i know this mods all about survival, but this might just jazz up the boring underworld abit

I like. how about water glows under certain conditions. I went to a bay full of dinoflagellates (bio-luminescent) and it was epic)

we need types of caves, small med large etc... the larger they are the more sightseeing there is...flowing rivers stalagtites/mites glowing bacteria etc and what i real want...the low tier ores to have a higher % chance to spawn SMALL deposits in the walls(next to air)

for the lighting thing, maybe there could be some kind of natural glowing bacterias, either in the water or in the ceiling of the cave.

+1 to the idea, in general.

for the lighting thing, maybe there could be some kind of natural glowing bacterias, either in the water or in the ceiling of the cave.

+1 to the idea, in general.

i was thinking we could just have a glowing ore type (maybe radium or urananite)

these ores spawn really deep below the ground within these large cave systems

raidium could spawn in the same way that sulphur spawns (radium tiles spawn next to water and give off a green or blue light)

i find it interesting that most mineral ores glow in the dark if a black light is put on them o.o

i also lime the idea of dioluminesant bactiria

hi there

last night i was borred and so started hunting around the web for minecraft irl

one of the things i found were the Naica crystal caves in mexico. these series of massive underground caverns contain gigantic gypsum crystals.

Posted Image

I always wanted to go there and see these huge formations....

+1 cause i thought about adding a post bout crystal caves, but you beat me to it, and you used pictures...great idea!

Lets not forget that it is hot as hell in there and pretty deep into the earth....seen the documentary xD.

I always wanted to go there and see these huge formations....

+1 cause i thought about adding a post bout crystal caves, but you beat me to it, and you used pictures...great idea!

Lets not forget that it is hot as hell in there and pretty deep into the earth....seen the documentary xD.

i ve seen the documentary :D it would have been incredible if to explore before they reflooded the chambers and yes it would be very hot down there. just imagine exploring a deep section of cave *digs block, area caves in revealing an underground river, you follow the river farther into the crust, until it levels out into a massive open space filled with glowing crystals and bioluminesant fish.

perhaps there could be special forms of mushroom or lickans down there for health potions, or anceint ruins left from a bygone era.

Love the idea, but I doubt it'll make it simply because it would modify terrain generation. Bioxx tried to get all the terrain gen stuff in as early as possible so people wouldn't have to constantly make new worlds as the mod progressed.

Love the idea, but I doubt it'll make it simply because it would modify terrain generation. Bioxx tried to get all the terrain gen stuff in as early as possible so people wouldn't have to constantly make new worlds as the mod progressed.

i see, possibly it could come up farther down the line? anyway i am going to keep on this and try to flesh it out abit more

...just imagine exploring a deep section of cave *digs block, area caves in revealing an underground river, you follow the river farther into the crust, until it levels out into a massive open space filled with glowing crystals and bioluminesant fish.

This sounds so amazing. Vanilla has End and Nether, Aether is out there floating in eventually-updated-but-buggy-as-hell land...

The problem with adding these into the standard world gen would be vertical space and tick lag. Solution is to make a dimension-shift... so like lava or whatever keeps you from going down to 0 depth in most places, but some places have a river and if you're in a boat, you can do a portal shift into a new dimension load. Then you don't have to worry about any of the tick updates from way above and can excuse the realism for a time in favour of a kind of Journey to the Centre of the Earth theme.

This sounds so amazing. Vanilla has End and Nether, Aether is out there floating in eventually-updated-but-buggy-as-hell land...

The problem with adding these into the standard world gen would be vertical space and tick lag. Solution is to make a dimension-shift... so like lava or whatever keeps you from going down to 0 depth in most places, but some places have a river and if you're in a boat, you can do a portal shift into a new dimension load. Then you don't have to worry about any of the tick updates from way above and can excuse the realism for a time in favour of a kind of Journey to the Centre of the Earth theme.

If you haven't noticed, TFC is a much taller world than vanilla, just the ground alone is taller than the vanilla world height from 1.1. 145 blocks should be plenty of height for most things, and that's in the flat lands, some mountains can get up to 200+ blocks above zero.

If you haven't noticed, TFC is a much taller world than vanilla, just the ground alone is taller than the vanilla world height from 1.1. 145 blocks should be plenty of height for most things, and that's in the flat lands, some mountains can get up to 200+ blocks above zero.

Correction: some mountains can get to 251. I have the creenys to prove.

Correction: some mountains can get to 251. I have the creenys to prove.

that's why I said 200+...

Would be ineresting as an unknown occurracnce to break up the rather dull deep Earth. This may be too far,but what about a forested area underground, perhaps with some form of artificial sun. This sort of brings up the issue of including projectable light; and that one is a doozy.

Oh, no, I noticed this. I'm a total newb to TFC, but I know my F3 key and have made that first giant stairwell down :). I was imagining something with some pretty vast vertical spaces though - the sort of yawning underground chasms from literature before the tectonic age.

Would be ineresting as an unknown occurracnce to break up the rather dull deep Earth. This may be too far,but what about a forested area underground, perhaps with some form of artificial sun. This sort of brings up the issue of including projectable light; and that one is a doozy.

Mushroom forest!

Oh, no, I noticed this. I'm a total newb to TFC, but I know my F3 key and have made that first giant stairwell down :). I was imagining something with some pretty vast vertical spaces though - the sort of yawning underground chasms from literature before the tectonic age.

Mushroom forest!

i d love to stumble apon a mushroom forest :D

...and with sentient mushrooms? :blink: Mushroom cows roaming an underground mushroom forest, meandering about the glowing crystals protruding from the rock, avoiding the giant carnivorous mushrooms that occasionally reach down and try to eat passers-by...

Glowing crystals would provide a means to make permanent light fixtures that don't require refueling or relighting. Would just be a way of showing off how much work has gone into your home, since it would require a good deal of effort to actually find said crystals.

Underground forests are entirely plausible, though I imagine only near the surface. I would love to see the cave generator made from scratch to have /slightly/ fewer and MUCH larger and diverse structures. as it stands, the cave generator appears to almost mimic the vanilla generator with some tweaks. Code may be different, results really are not. TFC does not have the massive caves it needs(and no, cross road junctions of tunnels do not count in this.) I want to worry about mining my way into a cave and finding myself with a kill drop. not a lousy 4.5 heart fall I recoup in the time it takes to kill 3 stalker creeps.

On another half of the topic, ravines could be replaced with something that 'fits' better into the geology. I've seen a few of the ravines that just dont make any sense. There is nothing that displayed how it formed(no river, no geological shift, nothing. Just a hole) I would like 'artificial' tectonic plates(entirely simulated, nothing active) to be implemented to take over the job of pointing out where mountains, trenches, and the like form, as personally, I would like to find a plains that does not have a scar running though it.

there is more I want to write to this, as the idea at its base is VERY good, and just needs some defining of what all could be done. Buuut, I gtg

Underground forests are entirely plausible, though I imagine only near the surface. I would love to see the cave generator made from scratch to have /slightly/ fewer and MUCH larger and diverse structures. as it stands, the cave generator appears to almost mimic the vanilla generator with some tweaks. Code may be different, results really are not. TFC does not have the massive caves it needs(and no, cross road junctions of tunnels do not count in this.) I want to worry about mining my way into a cave and finding myself with a kill drop. not a lousy 4.5 heart fall I recoup in the time it takes to kill 3 stalker creeps.

On another half of the topic, ravines could be replaced with something that 'fits' better into the geology. I've seen a few of the ravines that just dont make any sense. There is nothing that displayed how it formed(no river, no geological shift, nothing. Just a hole) I would like 'artificial' tectonic plates(entirely simulated, nothing active) to be implemented to take over the job of pointing out where mountains, trenches, and the like form, as personally, I would like to find a plains that does not have a scar running though it.

there is more I want to write to this, as the idea at its base is VERY good, and just needs some defining of what all could be done. Buuut, I gtg

i agree that cave gen needs an over hall and i also like the idea of simulated techtonic forces.

for cave gen i think that theree should be water involved (water from a river flowed underground creating drainage lakes).

for the techtonics, what if we implamented flaults and buckling into the terrain gen code. this would give the impression of active geology and also wouldd allow for very interesting caves and natural structuring underground.

on a side note, i think ore veins should spawn only near areas of faulting or fracturing as this would make vein systems more correct. veins would follow faulted layers of rock and would "fill" in spaces left by fracturing. in this way ores could be found at the surface and followed at differing directions, following the fault structure.

yknow, adding to the whole cave gen thing, i seriously think that we need to use the full potential of the height limit, by making the world deeper

like seriously, having the world being only 64 or so blocks deep is rather pathetic, we need to make the underground much deeper and larger so that we can even start thinking about an underground overhaul

... it's already 100 deep in plains, according to my game ._. that's not enough?