Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rohan

Red Steel Problem

10 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me what I've done wrong?

Here's the screen shot of my crucible. I'm trying to make red steel for the first time. The brass and rose gold was mixed before hand, poured and cooled into ingots (then sat there for the whole time I was working through the iron tiers), and then added into an empty crucible. The black steel was next and 12 ingots added 1 at a time. The steel was from when I  melted my steel anvil earlier and then poured them into ingots, let them cool/sit until this. I added 4 steel, it shows the correct %'s per the wiki, but doesn't say "weak red steel" above. What did I do wrong?

red steel error.png

Black Steel is 50-55%. You have 60%

Thank you, is someone going to fix the wiki? It still says 50-60%. Also I assume ratio of black steel for Blue Steel is also 50-55%?

Edited by rohan
Needed to add another question

Just fyi, it's a waste of material to use so much black steel.  Black steel should always be the bare minimum, if one cares about efficiency.  In general, baring unusual scarcities, it's best to do everything possible to minimize any material that uses iron.  Especially for red steel.  At best, you'll use 5x as much iron per single ingot of colored steel, as you will the next-most used material, copper.  So economizing iron helps in the long run.

Yeah - the coloured steels are simply way to expensive, and WAY too time-consuming imho.

I remember spending nearly 2 weeks of game play (admittedly only a few hours per day) to simply get a red steel anvil going, and I already had a black steel one.

Thank you, but I did something even more crazy. I gathered ALL of the ores needed with my bismuth bronze pick axes and have been on one continuous smithing exercise (with a few small breaks to harvest/plant crops and 1 to get more charcoal) and have been going from stone anvil with no ingots (all tools cast) to now working (hopefully tonight) to get my red steel anvil, bucket, and tools. I've already harvest all of the ore needed.

Come to think of it though, I might be able to still do 20 ingots batches replacing 2 black steel for 1 extra brass/rose gold for red and 1 extra bismuth bronze/sterling silver. I'll have to see if I have enough ingots left over to support that.

Yeah a good portion of the wiki is updated, but quite a few aren't still. Pretty much only Kitty can edit wiki, although with approval some can save work pages for her to integrate. However she finished school last spring and is working now, so I don't see any edits forthcoming.

When you run into roadblocks it is best to do what you did and ask here. There are a few around that can give you correct info. 

Also if you have NEI and the TFC NEI plugin you can get correct alloy %s and other TFC specific recipes. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0