Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Crysyn

Only help if you can be helpful

Hey All, A topic has come up of late in the IRC channel in regards to the general feel of the forums and the community that supports them. Things have progressed further than I would have liked with out this being addressed more publicly because I would much rather have snubbed this out sooner rather than later.. but I have been busy. Here is the general rule I would like people to follow: Wheaton's Law "Don't be a dick." Those of you from the IRC channel know that this is the only rule I ask people in there to follow and we generally have a good and lively time chatting about all manner of things. This is basic rule that just about everyone understands and I am going to expand it to the forums from here moving forward. If you can not help people in a helpful and polite manner then I simply ask you to stop. Now I generally take a back seat to moderating the forums as I like to participate in the suggestions forum fairly heavily at times and would rather do so as a forums user than a moderator. But I am also fairly well known for being the person who constantly puts their foot down and so I am stepping up and doing so on here. If you find yourself unable to respond to a message politely then I ask that you do not respond. This mostly focuses on the increasing level of hostility found within the Suggestion forum as well as the Server forum. I do not care if this is the 30th some odd time you have seen someone make the same suggestion. Or even if the new post on an older topic is one entry above the old one. I expect the members of this forum to respond politely to the user, new or old, and point to the older topic if it applies and even go the extra step to suggest they either add in new information or to summarize the outcome of the previous discussion based upon the new post's entry into it. That is what we are here for, that is why I close most topics instead of deleting them, so that they can be found and referenced down the road. The next topic is the slew of derailment attempts I have seen as of late. If you want to have fun and joke around that is what the off topic forum is for and pretty much anything goes there. I do not expect to read a suggestion thread and have to go through 3 pages of image memes people have shot back and forth. Quite simply this is a waste of my time to read and then have to clean up. Now for the summary. I am going to start taking a more active role, especially in policing the suggestion forum, and handing out warn levels to people whom I see doing this. These will be indiscriminate and applied not to just the first person who derails or is impolite on a topic or response, but to everyone whom follows the lead of that person. As I do not like doing things with out giving you all warning this post shall serve as that warning. If you have a desire to bring this topic up with me then I invite you to do so on the IRC channel. Lets raise the level of quality and grow the community. Let us not descend into the quality often found on the minecraft or league of legend forums. There is simply no need for that here. Be passionate about things, just do not be abusive.
    • Kittychanley

Offline Servers

Recently I've seen a few server listings showing up on the first page of the Servers forum that have been closed for an extended period of time, but have recently gotten a reply from a new member who didn't realize the server is offline. To help prevent this from happening in the future, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the report function on the original post of any servers that have been confirmed as offline, so that the topic may be locked. If you are the admin of a server and plan on taking the server offline, please use the report function on the original post of your topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be locked. If you are the admin of a server that has a locked topic, and would wish to bring the server back online, please use the report function on the original post of the topic to let the TFC Staff know that the topic should be unlocked. As always, please remember to follow rule #3 of the servers forum and update your topic title to contain the version of TFC that the server is currently running. You can do so by editing the OP, and then clicking on "Use Full Editor."
ChaiFox

Smithing takes all the fun out of this mod

10 posts in this topic

As the title states. I now remember why I gave up on this the first time, I've spent almost the last hour just trying to smith a DAMN COPPER KNIFE. On top of the stupid "techniques" that are not equivalent and have no clear values or indications of HOW MUCH the affect the progress of either bar having the re-select the current plan after reheating the ingot... wtf.

First the reselecting of the plan has to do with the anvil registering who is doing the smithing so that proper smithing bonus can be applied to the item.

Second smithing is part of the mod. The normal official response is that TFC is meant to be played in a group and if you didn't like smithing hopefully someone else would. I personally love the system and overtime have learned how it works, without looking at the code, to be able to make most items fairly easily and refine it to the minimal number of moves in short order. This would make me valuable on a server, either in a group playing together or where I could sell my skills to other players.

Now in SSP this doesn't work and you can obviously play whatever way you want. My suggestion is that if you don't like the smithing, then use minetweaker to either add non anvil recipes for all the tools. Or remove the current recipes and make new anvil recipes for the items that don't care what moves are made, just that the arrows align.

I struggled with the smithing a bit and find it a bit of a pain in the ass but it is rewarding. I personally liked the old system where "close enough" netted you a slightly damaged tool. I also find that smithing is something I have to be in the mood for. My only regret with TFC is that the world is empty....I can make a bunch of stuff but who is going to buy a red steel pick from the last (and only) man on earth?

I agree, that smithing can be frustrated for beginners, I was frustrated either, especially when forging meltable copper/bronze tools, but now I can achieve final product faster, even without any calculations, just intuition - it is awesome, that this system demand real experience, not just bonus numbers, to get items quickly.

Anyway, button 'accurate with bonus+experience gain/close enough without bonus and experience' would be good idea.

You might want to try start with bronze if at all feasible.  iirc it's a little easier to work with due to higher melting point, so you have longer time in the 'workable' range.  I also find it to be an amazing system that takes some real life skill, so in a larger multi-player environment your skill can set you apart from everyone else.  I just wish TFC was more geared toward those kinds of environments. 

If github updates are any indication, TFC2 will have GUI-less smithing, which is probably the thing I would most look forward to seeing in an early release.

Posted (edited)

Update: after cooling off and playing something else for a bit I tried smithing again and I don't know why but it seems so much easier and I was actually able to make several tools in a row, its really rewarding when you finally make something :D.

But seriously getting those markers to within pixels of each other and not even getting at least a damaged product is so damn annoying.

Edited by ChaiFox

GUI-less FTW! I have never said it before but the less GUI in minecraft the better IMO.

It's trivial to just visually count how many notches each action moves the pointer. I know it's considered "cheating" but I was never able to stop myself :P I don't even know how you'd be able to get anything done otherwise.

3 hours ago, hoseja said:

It's trivial to just visually count how many notches each action moves the pointer. I know it's considered "cheating" but I was never able to stop myself :P I don't even know how you'd be able to get anything done otherwise.

The vanilla-tfc anvil gui doesn't have 'notches', it's just a smooth bar.  If by 'notches' you mean pixels, I don't think anyone would call that cheating; it's just using the feedback you're given, and congratulations on having the eyes of a hawk. If you're using a mod that adds actual notches to the bar for ease of counting, that's something else. 

On 16/3/2017 at 6:35 AM, ChaiFox said:

As the title states. I now remember why I gave up on this the first time, I've spent almost the last hour just trying to smith a DAMN COPPER KNIFE. On top of the stupid "techniques" that are not equivalent and have no clear values or indications of HOW MUCH the affect the progress of either bar having the re-select the current plan after reheating the ingot... wtf.

*twitch*

Smithing is a infinitely finicky thing to do, alone the knowledge needed is staggering, TFC's equivalent is letting us off lightly.
It was never intended to be easy, nor learnable in five minutes. I'm just glad there is a temperature or progress bar at all.

Also, have this for a little motivation:

Past thoughts from Bioxx:

At first this mod may seem daunting, but just as the game that served as the initial inspiration for this mod, Dwarf Fortress, it is well worth the time spent learning and mastering the systems.

On 20/3/2017 at 1:58 PM, Darmo said:

The vanilla-tfc anvil gui doesn't have 'notches', it's just a smooth bar.  If by 'notches' you mean pixels, I don't think anyone would call that cheating; it's just using the feedback you're given, and congratulations on having the eyes of a hawk. If you're using a mod that adds actual notches to the bar for ease of counting, that's something else. 

I once taped a post it note with five notches to the side of the bar, in my defence i was new to the game then. :lol: