Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
ancientpower

Climbing

9 posts in this topic

It seems like islands have a tendency to spawn with steep cliffs at their beaches, and this makes starting the game a pain as you have to scavenge dirt blocks in order to scale them.

I suggest a mechanic be added which allows the player to climb rough stone blocks (and possibly log blocks) as if they were ladders. Since this would only allow you to scale natural structures I don't think it would be particularly overpowered, but the climbing could be limited to 2-5 blocks of height without the player touching the ground. In addition, it should only work if the player is crouching (or by using another dedicated hotkey) to avoid annoying the player.

It'd be easier to just give everyone who starts out a two minute spider climb buff, spawn with some ladders, or some climbable plant that grows on cliffs.

What about climbing skill, which can be increased whenever player is climbing.

There is chance to fall down while climbing. The largest climbing skill and health is, the lower probability of fall accident.

I'm with Stroam, in addressing it other ways, since this is only really an issue on the spawn island I'd say.  Maybe the spawn island is just never allowed to have the 'cliffs' feature, or whatever it is that makes those really high beach cliffs.  Require that hexes within a certain radius of spawn have no more than 'x' elevation difference from on to another?  There could even be an 'easy mode' start where the player starts with 'ship wreckage' nearby, that includes a chest with some ladders and other basic stuff. 

I guess I kind of see climbing as 'cheaty', but that's me.   

In my opinion, it isn't all that difficult to "climb" the cliffs.   Currently a brief exploration usually reveals a water fall or river that would allow access to the higher elevation, plus i haven't yet seen any instance of where there hasn't been a lower section of the cliff with trees that couldn't be easily be accessed. With further implementation of ore discovery similar to TFC you wouldn't be a beachcomber for long.

Exploration is part of the fun and vines or a "shipwrecked" scenario where a chest with a few basic items, which is already an option for vanilla, is quite plausible.

There is actually a climbingrocks block that I have in game that will be like naturally ocuring handholds for you to climb up those cliffs. Right now I'm not happy with them but they will make a comeback, don't worry.

Cool. Will there also be mountains to climb? Whilst there are some impressive cliffs, I've not seen mountains generate and the central region of each island is a plateau.

All things considered, the island IS a mountain. That said, as far as smaller scale steep ascents, yeah I could add an island feature for something like that.

Edit: This should be discussed in another thread but I am interested in hear ideas for other types of island features. Features in this sense is a type of terrain adjustment that is randomly chosen to appear on an island.

Done.

Also if you could post some clarification in that thread such as generation pertaining to what all that includes such as shrubs, structures, and specific biomes that'd be helpful.