Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.

6 posts in this topic

------------------------------useless txt VVV -----------------------------------------------------

Okay, so I was whining previously about finding rock salt, and how it was driving me insane. But in reality I wasn't looking good enough for it, cause just about 10k blocks of sailing and I have finally found it (Yay :D). But the thing is with rock salt, the process is pretty simple. You're guaranteed that at some point you'll hit the rock salt island while sailing. But then, just as I was starting to have a blast playing with this mod, having a great time and everything, BOOM I realized I need graphite.

----------------------------- useless txt ^^^ ------------------------------------------------------

I am currently on an island where marble is the surface rock type. From dozens and dozens of searching for any bit of info I could dig up on graphite, apparently it spawns between Y: 5 - 128 and is most occurring between Y: 115 - 128. I have mined 50 blocks in every direction at that level, even explored a cave that I found, spent 4 pro picks and 2 bronze picks. I couldn't find any graphite at all, though tons of tetra and even more gold. 

All I'm asking for is any suggestions on how to find it? I see multiple youtubers finding graphite without a hassle and other players saying it's no rarer than any other ore. I have searched 4 different ravines and oh so many mountains. I feel like I'm just either doing something wrong or I'm just so unlucky. What is the best strategy, how do you know when you should stop looking for it here and look elsewhere? How do you not lose your minds when you are searching for graphite? 

Edited by SnoopyMicrobe34

There's only really two methods  - run around looking at exposed host rock, or blanket pro-picking.  Don't do exploratory mining tunnels, that's a waste of time.  You need to be able to cover lots of ground fast, and mining is not that.  Graphite is not as common as other ores, but at least it spawns in four host rocks (god help you when you start looking for garnierite - I hope you're taking notes on where the gabbro is). 

You may have to cover a very large area to find it exposed in a rock face, and be very observant.  Obviously this will work better in hilly and/or treeless areas - I would not bother going for observation in heavily forested areas if the dominant trees have low foliage (like willows).  You may need to cover a thousand block square area looking for it exposed.  I'm not sure where you heard this 115-128 being the best level.  I've never heard that, and its definitely not worth mining at this level for some minor bonus.  It's all about covering ground.

If that doesn't turn anything up, then you need to blanket propick.  You need to be VERY systematic about it.  Don't just do it every 100 blocks or something.  Since the propick radius is 12, it's best to take a reading every 30 blocks or so, though you'd probably be ok at 50, as veins are very wide (this is just rough, don't bother counting it out).  Make yourself a bunch of propick heads and go camping.  Pick a sector, travel east-west or north-south in scan lines, propicking every 30-ish blocks, and with your scan lines 30-ish blocks apart.  Or whatever you have the stomach for.   You will find it eventually.  It's more efficient if you can combine blanket propicking with observation, but there's probably a higher chance you'll do one or the other less well, because one method you're looking up and around, and the other you're looking at the bottom left of the screen.

10 minutes ago, Darmo said:

There's only really two methods  - run around looking at exposed host rock, or blanket pro-picking.  Don't do exploratory mining tunnels, that's a waste of time.  You need to be able to cover lots of ground fast, and mining is not that.  Graphite is not as common as other ores, but at least it spawns in four host rocks (god help you when you start looking for garnierite - I hope you're taking notes on where the gabbro is). 

You may have to cover a very large area to find it exposed in a rock face, and be very observant.  Obviously this will work better in hilly and/or treeless areas - I would not bother going for observation in heavily forested areas if the dominant trees have low foliage (like willows).  You may need to cover a thousand block square area looking for it exposed.  I'm not sure where you heard this 115-128 being the best level.  I've never heard that, and its definitely not worth mining at this level for some minor bonus.  It's all about covering ground.

If that doesn't turn anything up, then you need to blanket propick.  You need to be VERY systematic about it.  Don't just do it every 100 blocks or something.  Since the propick radius is 12, it's best to take a reading every 30 blocks or so, though you'd probably be ok at 50, as veins are very wide (this is just rough, don't bother counting it out).  Make yourself a bunch of propick heads and go camping.  Pick a sector, travel east-west or north-south in scan lines, propicking every 30-ish blocks, and with your scan lines 30-ish blocks apart.  Or whatever you have the stomach for.   You will find it eventually.  It's more efficient if you can combine blanket propicking with observation, but there's probably a higher chance you'll do one or the other less well, because one method you're looking up and around, and the other you're looking at the bottom left of the screen.

Thanks for all the amazing tips. Ironically, I already found garnierite since the second rock type on my island is gabbro, and I found lots of it. I have a few questions though. In the config files I saw that graphite only spawns below Y:128 (Or maybe I am getting something wrong), so is it possible that I will find some exposed graphite in ravines or mountain sides? Thats why I was mining underground rather than running around and propicking. God wish it was as easy to find graphite as it is to find kaolinite.

This Ymax is not working, I saw graphite and other minerals spawned above 140.

Ya, I've seen graphite spawned in mountainsides before.  That might have been a couple versions ago, but I doubt it has changed in that time.

2 hours ago, Darmo said:

Ya, I've seen graphite spawned in mountainsides before.  That might have been a couple versions ago, but I doubt it has changed in that time.

So I'm running around in schist, hopelessly propicking at ground, just running around like a lunatic, no symmetry no nothing. I was obviously giving up at that point when suddenly....... "Pathetically insignificant, barely describable as traces of graphite found, now you can stop whining you big baby" popped up right in my face on the screen. Words can not describe my UTTER EXCITEMENT!!!!! :DA:SD:AS:{DLAFKDAKLHKDSAHG

Thank you so much for the tips. If not for them I would be digging underground like a moron.

Edited by SnoopyMicrobe34