Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Darmilian

What do you think about shark implementation, and my own shark model?

14 posts in this topic

Hello, everybody.

I've read about mob implementations in TFC2. What do you think about including diferent types of sharks for having more dangerous oceans?. In minecraft vanilla, deep ocean biomes are boring, excluding sea temples. I know that water mobs are a little derp when they are in small  lakes and beaches, but mobs like elder guardians in deep oceans,  have great movements. Sharks can be enemies that attack you usually, when you go to deep in ocean, or could destroy your boat. According to the biome could spawn diferent shark species.

I've done a blacktip reef shark according to real size , and MC creator forum rules'

The model use 0.x width for the fins and eyes, but there's no textures isues, because the boxes use the  same colour in a uniform way. I've decided not to add theeth because, the model size it's too small.

Here is the model and texture : blacktip reef shark .MCModelblacktip reef shark texture.png

Please, give me your opinion, and tell me if you want to see more shark models.

Blacktip Shark.png

Edited by Darmilian

One of the issues I have with shark mobs is their omnipresence. In real life, millions of people go in the oceans every day without any problems from sharks. As soon as they get included in the game, suddenly is like they are everywhere and make it just impossible to swim. 

I would be OK with sharks, as long as it was only in some specific locations, and never destroying your boat.

I do believe oceans and underwater deserve some attention. I have played with mods that added Coral and tropical fishes, they were really nice and I even build a fish tank to collect all the different Coral and fishes.

The reality is that most sharks do not bother to attack humans, and the ones that do it are by mistake.

So no, I would not like to see sharks introduced in the game if it would mean to make the oceans a no go zone. I want to have more reasons to go under water not the oposite.

I think the sharks could be implemented, with some type of hunger values, and be more agresive with you if their hunger is low. They could add some esthetic to the game, how i'd said after "the oceans in minecraft are boring", and the sharks could be use like tameable mobs used in pits to defend your house it like Dwarf Fortress. Or they could have interesting berhaviors and be agresive also with other water mobs, like squids, or seals... and make the game deeper. 

The animal that i'd based for my MC model, have an alimentation small animals like crabs, some types of fishes and cephalopods.

This could be an excuse to include some food near the coast like crustaceans, or another type of seafood.

Edited by Darmilian

2 hours ago, Darmilian said:

I've read about mob implementations in TFC2. What do you think about including diferent types of sharks for having more dangerous oceans?

Not sure what you mean by "read about mob implementation", but generally if you want to submit models for TFC2, you need to read the MCMC tutorial, and the TFC2 guidelines, In the guidelines post, it mentions you're expected to contact me regarding this.  You've bypassed that part, though your post does contain more general ocean discussion.  So, in the interest of saving some time, and maybe educating other budding TFC2 modelers, here's my critique:

Spoiler

First off the good;  it's a pretty good model and you seem to have done pretty well with proportions.  I like that you used just 3 boxes to do the body through the tail - that's the minimum necessary to get a good effect, and each fin is just a single box - all good.  You did a good job packing maximum detail into a rather small model, using not only minimum box numbers, but minimum box sizes as well.  Good choice on the no teeth.  If I was sure we'd have an opening and closing mouth I'd be willing to entertain individual pixel teeth, turned on their corners so they're pointed.  Because teeth could be considered 'iconic' for sharks.  But at this point we're not really guaranteed to have a mouth animation.  For bigger more aggressive sharks, it may be that the model just always has the mouth open, and so then try out some teeth.

Now the 'bad';  Doing the nose that way - one box in the center and two slanted side boxes to create 'taper' - is a kludgey way to handle that, and it needs to be avoided whenever possible ('possible' being key.  If I were ever going to allow it a shark is probably the best candidate, but I'd need to see other attempts first).  The black dots and eyes as separate boxes is a no-no.  Those need to be part of the texture - and I see you even actually have the eyes in the texture so I don't get why you made separate boxes in addition.  Your tail boxes have parts 'sunken' into adjacent boxes, that are unnecessary.  Those boxes should have adjacent faces, or only very slightly overlapping, if you're concerned about small cracks showing during animation. 

Technically speaking, in your box names you've mispelled "nose" and "upper", and box names are not allowed to have spaces - this is mentioned in the MCMC tutorial.  CamelCase is preferred, or dashes or underscores.

So overall, a good start.  Feel free to fix up those things and message me, we can go from there.

As for the general notion of sharks, I'm all for them.  Tony has a point about the shark attacks possibly being overwhelming if not controlled a bit.   For instance only if the player has less-than-max health (is bleeding), or is carrying any raw meat.  However, considering that there is intended to be as-yet-unspecified hard-coded measures against players swimming or boating between islands, to me it would make perfect sense to have instantly aggressive sharks near the island sector boundaries.  Maybe limited to 'deep ocean' sectors, and expand the shallow ocean areas a bit.  I would think the black tipped shark would be a good candidate for shallow, but not necessarily instantly aggressive, while a great white or something would be an instantly aggressive boundary-guarding mob.  I don't know that the game necessarily *needs* more than a couple shark mobs, but if that's your thing and you want to help, I'm not going to stop you from making more.  Just realize that they may or may not ever make it in the game, if they don't have a niche to fill.

Edited by Darmo

Thanks everyone for your advices, and opinions. I'll do my best to fix that mistakes.

Just so everyone knows in the final version you will be unable to go into any hex marked as deep ocean, unless a certain someone changes his mind. 

Well, if you are interested what happened with the changes of the shark, here it is my new model.

BTRS 2.0.png

Model and textures: blacktip reef shark (swimming) V2.MCModelblacktip shark texture 2.0.png

Relation of changes:

-Black dots and eyes boxes, eliminated.

-Change of the head form.

-Resized fins width to 0, excluding the bigger upper fin. (Because as you know, 0.x boxes textures are a little buggy)

-Small texture degradation in body and tail parts.

-Box names corrections.

Edited by Darmilian

I suggest, that if this mob or something similar, will be animated in the future, apply the Elder guardian's tail movements to the model.

Personally, I quite like the v2 shark, and I think out of all of the sharks you could have picked, the blacktip reef shark is probably one of the best ones.

Tropical-only, small, "timid and skittish" (non-aggressive), and prefering shallow, inshore waters (not deep ocean).

Yes, but i think if they are implemented, could have some type of territorial berhaviors to attack the player ocasionally, or maybe defend your house in pits, like cocodriles, and feed it with diferent mob's meats.

47 minutes ago, Darmilian said:

Yes, but i think if they are implemented, could have some type of territorial berhaviors to attack the player ocasionally, or maybe defend your house in pits, like cocodriles, and feed it with diferent mob's meats.

With laser beams strapped to their heads?

Honestly, you would be better served with a bear in a pit.  How do you plan to transport a live shark?

Shark egg transportation and farming, i guess. XD

Animal like bears, lions, and vermins... could smell food in stockpiles, and sneak in to your house. That whould not happend with sharks near. Don't worry, i know this is very weird, but sometimes dumb ideas become great!

Edited by Darmilian

Shark guards would probably be more of a feasability if you were building a ship-base, or Waterworlding it.  Which sadly, if what stroam says is true, won't be an option in the current generation.  If this comes to pass - not being able to enter deep ocean - hopefully the shallow portion is extended beyond just a 1-wide strip.  Or maybe a medium-deep hex is added.  It'd be a shame to forbid people from building pirate ships offshore.