Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
horenpa

Temperature

20 posts in this topic

So, apparently we already have temperature in TFC. I really don't noticed it, but we have it on the Calendar.(Default 'N' on the keyboard.) But as I can notice, is not fully implemented and do nothing yet.

Posted Image

So, I totally overhauled my idea and got some research on the TFC as it now.

TEMPERATURE

I writed down some temperatures that I found in the game already, and apparently it changes by biome, and time. (Hours and season)

Jungle -> 35C

Taiga6 -> 0C

River Taiga6 -> 1C

Desert3 -> 37C

(All at Spring)

I actually stayed on the Jungle for some minutes, and the temperature changed a little, going between 33C and 35C, and Desert going far for 37C and 46C, in the same spot. So the temperature of each biome have some min and max limit, but have a medium temperature.

The hour afect the temperature as well. By midnight at Desert, for example, I noticed going and staying at 34C~32C for a long time.

And of course, the season afects the most on the temperature. On the Summer at Desert for example, I got more than 50C on the same spot as before.

But, from all of this testings, I don't see any change when I went deep. I think this should be implemented. The more deep you go, into a cave, the more wet the place is, so the temperature should drop enough.

The same for high places. I noticed snow on the top of the Hills biome. And we all know that high montains have snow peaks (Really high places, and places that could snow. Some countrys, like here, on Brazil, don't snow at all. And we have a lot of high montains, and only one of them, the highest one, have snow at the peak only a few days on the year.)

SUGGESTIONS

-UI

Posted Image

At the left we have the Temperature icon. It's divided on 10 levels, and the goal is to maintain in the middle. (The four bars.) Entering the far left/right starts to hazard the player, altough entering the "danger" zones (Stages 2,3 and 8 and 9 of the thermometer), just alert the player that he is getting too hot/cold. Maybe blinking, of shaking the bar.

On the right, we have the Wet icons. That is another thing that I thought about, and will come to it later on this thread.

- CHARACTER

Temperature is a hazard on the wild, and we all know that. But what we can add to this?

First, lets think on the character itself. Things that can be done on the player. Things that can help him, and things that are not that good.

Being really hot or really cold could end on some serious damage on the health of the player.

We could have some metods of increasing/decreading the temperature of the character by:

- Eating. He could increase the temperature by eating some flesh, but could refresh himself by eating fruits, for example. Or maybe adding beverages, drinks, or just drinking water.

- Shelter. We can get more hot going inside of a place with roof/walls. But as I said, the more deep you go, you should have a lower temperature, so a shelter on a cave, on the winter, on a Snow biome, is not THE perfect place to live, but since is a very cold biome, this could be good in any ways. For example, creating a snow house, like a iglu, could shelter you the same, but not very hot. You can live. ^-^

- Water. You can swim, and refresh yourself. But, hot places like the desert, could have a hotter water, so you can refresh, but not a lot. And entering water on the snow biome could have you really cold, maybe giving some frezze status... I don't know. :o

- The screen could have some visual changes when the player enter the danger zones of the thermometer. Changes such as shacking the screen a bit, when the player is too cold, and maybe some blur, on too hot.

- After entering the hazard zone (Stages 1 and 10 of the thermometer), the player starts to slowly lose hearts. (In a slow mood, different of hunger, maybe 2x less.)

The thermometer changes in a slow mood as well. So you lose some time to warm/chill yourself.

- ENVIRONMENT

Environment chance on the season and on biome. We already have fruit trees that change on the season. But entering the agriculture, we know that different places wield different plantations. We have wet places, and dry places. I really think you can't plant wheat on the desert, by just putting some dirt around. That's silly. :P

- Agriculture. As I said, we could have some seeds that grow quicker (Or maybe just say 'Grow') on different temperatures/biomes. I'm really not into agriculture, but I think you can plant some food in deserts areas, and at places with snow, probably.

- Water. We already have the vanilla change on water on snow biomes, and that is the ice blocks. And we know that deserts don't have pools os water, just some weels that Jeb made. And I think, with the upcoming Finite Water resorce of Bioxx, we could have some floods when it really rain on some places (Not waves, but lower places covered in water), and maybe some dry times as well, when you really can't find water in some usual waterly places (rivers/lakes), not only in desert.

This could be linked to the already Jeb's moon fases, and make the Ocean drop a little! Buts thats too complicated. :P

- Trees. The same way that Fruit Trees slowly grow from day to day, we could have some overhaule on the trees. I don't know if the seasons already do that, I only noticed change on colors and temperature, but some trees could lose leafs on winter, of maybe just don't drop saplings/sticks on some season/temperature. This could enter the suggestion on logs being too wet to work with, too soft. Or maybe too dry sa well.

WET

Wet is just something that could be added to enhance the termperature that I just figured out. Wet is like a joker status: It could help you on the self temperature, but could damage it as well. Getting wet could:

- Refresh the character. Entering water or going into rain/snow storm add Water Drops to the character, and refresh it if he is too hot.

- Freeze. The same way that water can become ice if goes into a snowy/cold place, the character could be very cold if he is still wet and goes into a low temperature place. This however, is not a "slow walk"/"paralysis", like a RPG fantasy game. Is just a state that player start to lose a lot of body heat, and the thermometer fall quickly.

this seems like a really good idea :) nice image too

Thanks infinus. :)

I'm going to clean the topic, maybe add some tables with how many seconds/minutes I think the system should take to fill/drop, and how to do this.

And maybe more images to clarify everything more. ^-^

What you suggested seems too complicated. I don't know why you would just suggest cold but what about hot? Surely the desert people shouldn't be left out. Why not just add a universal themometer that goes up and downing based on your surrounding biome temperature. And instead of wet meter, just have it so that getting into water in a cold area will get your themometer even lower and jumping into a pool in the desert will do the same.

Of course if you added a temperature system, you would also have to add dehydration and hypothermia. And I disagree completely with the wet system slowing you down. I've jumped into pools before with clothes on and my slightly heavier clothes did not reduce my walk or run speed.

EDIT: If steve can carry stacks upon stacks of cobblestone, he definitely should not be hindered by a few extra pounds from wet clothes, which would dry pretty quickly in most biomes.

Yeah, looking for slow speed seems a bit silly now. :(

But well, I was just throwing ideias. :)

I still like the rain giving you wet or cold status, is a relly nice addition because we need shelter, and a lot of people just had their beds anywhere. I don't blame them tough, but is kind of silly this way. :(

The temperature bar is still nice addition though. The "cold" one that I made up is like one, it show hot and cold, if you think of it. If is on the middle, as default, the player is at a normal heat. I think a bigger one could do the job a little better. :)

Is the same of doing a "Hot bar", if it get full'd up, the player is actually pretty hot, but if is empty, the player is super cold. :P

This squematic could fit some disease by temperature and wet status, as you said. But I think we can develop more with this.

As for biomes, I already had pointed on the topic, but just as ways of lowering or increasing the Wet/Cold bars. I did not thought of different waters. Not actually different fluids, just different status when you enter water in different places. Thats very cool I think. But in the other hand, different waters could be more developed as well, what you think?

Edited the main topic with this suggestions. :)

I like the idea but it may be too complicated. I would agree with a simple temperature bar like Incompatible said. When you're in desert, temperature rises, when you're in snow, temperature lowers. Getting in water would cool you off in desert and freeze you in snow. I don't think temperature should have too much of an impact on your game though. You should be able to walk at least half way through a desert biome without worry. Or collect a few cactus without temperature rising. Only for prolonged exposure. if you expect to live in a desert, you should expect to make proper long term shelter that protects you from heat.

You could go one step farther and make water evaporate in desert (snow already dissappears with fire and torches)

This would also incorporate well with the suggestion I made on biome based clothing/weapons, etc. Heat resist gear made from desert items. Cold resist gear made from snow biome items and Poison resist gear made from jungle items.

Whatever is added as a "hinderance" should have a moderatly easy solution. You don't want to spend 100% of every game trying to balance your hunger, health, temperature, thirst, sleep, energy, etc... It starts to go way overboard with any or all of these possible additions. Or maybe if your temperature bar is balanced, hunger would not go down as fast. That might balance it out a little.

As with Lumy's health GUI, I'm not 100% on board with all the ideas here, but I must congratulate you on the art work. I can imagine that changing the onscreen gui enough to take a screenshot is rather laborious.

When hunger bar was released on vanilla, it took the idea of living without stop. You could just mine or walk forever. The hunger bar was a simple adition to the game.

What Im trying to adress here is the same thing, trying to limit people to stay too long in certain places. But in a simple way as well. The temperature is a slow meter such as hunger if you, for example just stay still, or enter a biome. But you could raise it faster getting wet, for example.

Im liking the suggestions. Keep up. :)

Temperature and humidity would be cool, but they would work better as things in a weather interface(similar to the calendar gui), or gauges off to the top of the screen rather than generic bars stacked on the bottom.

Otherwise, great idea. I'd love to see biome-specific temperature, and really temperature as a whole implemented.

Ok, so I completely overhauled my idea in something that really could exist into the game, as we know that TFC already have a temperature system, but don't do anything yet.

I simply re-writed the full thread, please read again people! :D

And thanks for the feedback on this, helped a lot. ^-^

@ancientpower

Yeah, but one of my ideas is to make something near a new hunger bar. As I said before, the hunger bar was created to make people need to eat, so have to make/gather food, SO, limit the time in certain places, if you don't have food with you. But this could be easy ajusted by just bringing food whatever you go.

In real life for example, you just can't enter a ice river. Or just walk into a desert like a crazy man. Or live without even drinking water. xD

And you can't sleep outdoors everytime for example too. You could be very cold and get a fever. xD

The game can tell if an item is covered or not surely.

The same could be done with beds to address that problem

You cannot use beds during daylight.

Same type of check could be made for beds out in the open.

Hm, maybe. But bed are just "time machines" (:P) that throw you to daylight. The game doesn't even simulate the time that passed, like mods such Insonia for example. So I think I'm not entering beds on this.

Lol we know how the temperature system works and it will be overhauled at some point in the future. It will not be exactly as you suggested, but closer to it than minecraft currently is.

Yeah, I was trying to write down things that we could do with this. Not like "DO THIS NAO" xDDD

Lol we know how the temperature system works and it will be overhauled at some point in the future. It will not be exactly as you suggested, but closer to it than minecraft currently is.

While we're att it Dunk, is there any plan to add a somnia-like time passing during sleep mechanic?

I'd like to wake to find that my fires have gone out, thankya

While we're att it Dunk, is there any plan to add a somnia-like time passing during sleep mechanic?

I'd like to wake to find that my fires have gone out, thankya

Definitely, I am currently using Somnia with my installation.

for screen effects with extreme temperatures, look at the seasons mod my nandonalt(?) sorry forgot his name

the vignette could turn an orangish color if too hot or bluish if too cold

also, making protective clothing (ie: furs in cold biomes and light clothing for hot ones) would keep you from getting chilled/overheated for a while depending on the quality of the clothing because you cant stand outside in a snowstorm forever even if you are wearing a coat and warm clothes

I am for this idea for the most part. However, I still feel the wetness "bar" is unneccesary. I like the idea of the wetness of the player affecting temperature gain/loss/status, but feel that having a whole separate bar for it is a bit excessive perhaps ? There is still a place for wetness for sure, but does the player really need to know how damp they are ?

No harsh tone intended btw, I am a big fan of this suggestion !

also, making protective clothing (ie: furs in cold biomes and light clothing for hot ones) would keep you from getting chilled/overheated for a while depending on the quality of the clothing because you cant stand outside in a snowstorm forever even if you are wearing a coat and warm clothes

Yep, thats nice. You have an option: Use clothing for defence, of for "living" in the wild, for temperature protection. xD

I am for this idea for the most part. However, I still feel the wetness "bar" is unneccesary. I like the idea of the wetness of the player affecting temperature gain/loss/status, but feel that having a whole separate bar for it is a bit excessive perhaps ? There is still a place for wetness for sure, but does the player really need to know how damp they are ?

No harsh tone intended btw, I am a big fan of this suggestion !

Yeah man, I was thinking the same. Is nice to keep track of info in a fast way, but I think this could be added into the Calendar. So the self Thermometer too, i don't know. But one thing is true: keep pressing N to open the calendar every time is annoying. We already use a lot of the Calendar itself to see the season/month, so we can keep track of our fruit trees, but since the time is very slow compared to something like, hunger bar or heath bar changes, we don't need to open the calendar every hour. We open every now and than. But, ofc, is easier to live with bars on-screen for status that can change quickly. We could try to adjust it somewhere else, not on top of everything on the hotbar, maybe. :)

we don't need to open the calendar every hour. We open every now and than.

Why not put temperature inside the inventory screen (along with wetness if you want), as it is frequently used and would not be out of place as they relate to your body, they should be placed under Steve or something ?

I saw somewhere (magma forge thread I think) that they are implementing temperature damage/effects so this could be even more relevant.