Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Stroam

[TFC2 0.2.4] Material Expansion - More building materials

13 posts in this topic

While a lot of progress has been made on TFC2, there's still a lot to do. Here's some pretty blocks to distra.... heh, entertain you while development is progressing. 

I've hacke..... done my best to present you with some aesthetically pleasing blocks to build with while in creative mode. There are no recipes for these blocks. That'll come in the form of another mod.

I like to compartmentalize and keep things in there separate boxes that do not touch. My favorite box has nothing in it. 

Here's a screenshot of some of the stuff added because I'm too lazy it's up to you to make lovely builds and post screen shots!

Material Expansion currently adds blocks to the TFC tabs so not everything in them is added by this mod.

VWFfpVT.png

These blocks follow the gravity and support laws of TFC2 (mostly ... (it's a W.I.P)) and as such don't expect them to float (not for an extended period of time anyway). I will be modifying the support values to match aesthetically pleasing builds, game balance, and as I see fit (Rammed earth needs supports over gaps, get over it. I don't care if dirt is magical). 

I'll of course be adding all variety of blocks over the development of this mod. If there is something within theme for TFC2 and this mod that you'd like to see please leave a comment below. I an not familiar with pattern names and very few architectural elements. Please use reference pictures to help me out.

Features that may be added in the future wood and slate shingles, wattle, wicker, plaster, mud and mud pit, wood frames you can fill with terrain blocks, various types of flooring and pathing.

Currently in Beta until more stable. Feel free to add to any modpack.

Download:

TFC2ME.jar

Changelog: (I'll get to it)

Source:(It's very messy. You've been warned)

Git

Very nice! The gravity and support law feature seems fantastic. May you want to expand it to Vanilla TFC blocks?

On 6/17/2017 at 6:02 AM, drkoaeg said:

Very nice! The gravity and support law feature seems fantastic. May you want to expand it to Vanilla TFC blocks?

I don't know what you mean since it uses the TFC2 gravity and support code applied to my blocks. Meaning TFC2 blocks already have this. If you are talking about back porting it to TFC1, there is no plans on doing so. I want people excited for TFC2, not reliving the glory days of TFC1.

16 hours ago, Stroam said:

I don't know what you mean since it uses the TFC2 gravity and support code applied to my blocks. Meaning TFC2 blocks already have this. If you are talking about back porting it to TFC1, there is no plans on doing so. I want people excited for TFC2, not reliving the glory days of TFC1.

Sorry, I didn't notice this is for TFC2. I am with you, but as TFC2 is still prerelease I was not prepared for this ;)

I would suggest roofing blocks be stepped, to make for a finer slope.  In addition to the wood and slate roofing you mentioned, I'd suggest thatch, and a few colors of ceramic (red, blue, green). 

I'd also suggest some alternate brick patterns.  Rather than have a separate recipe, maybe a new tool - trowel - is added, and the player simply sets the trowel to the pattern they want, and then right-clicks on a brick block to change it to that pattern.  Example patterns might be basket weave, herringbone, and Flemish bond.  a stepped soldier course for roof eaves and steps would be amazing.  And that's just layout patterns.  Bond patterns could be an entire other level.  Brickwork could be a mod all by itself, honestly.  I could probably help with the graphics, if desired.

Regarding your patterns given, I'm interested to see how the half-timbering is implemented - that is, if it's at all automated, or the player has to selected each pattern.  You could honestly ditch the horizontal 22.5 degree angled beams.  That's almost never used irl.

3 hours ago, Darmo said:

I would suggest roofing blocks be stepped, to make for a finer slope.  In addition to the wood and slate roofing you mentioned, I'd suggest thatch, and a few colors of ceramic (red, blue, green). 

I'd also suggest some alternate brick patterns.  Rather than have a separate recipe, maybe a new tool - trowel - is added, and the player simply sets the trowel to the pattern they want, and then right-clicks on a brick block to change it to that pattern.  Example patterns might be basket weave, herringbone, and Flemish bond.  a stepped soldier course for roof eaves and steps would be amazing.  And that's just layout patterns.  Bond patterns could be an entire other level.  Brickwork could be a mod all by itself, honestly.  I could probably help with the graphics, if desired.

Regarding your patterns given, I'm interested to see how the half-timbering is implemented - that is, if it's at all automated, or the player has to selected each pattern.  You could honestly ditch the horizontal 22.5 degree angled beams.  That's almost never used irl.

As always, I like your feedback. I had to google most the stuff you talked about. I am apparently not very versed in architecture design elements and patterns. If you could include more pictures of the things you are describing it would help.

Stepped roofing - What sort of stepped are you talking about?

Wla28H3.png   

For roofing I'm thinking of doing just slope 2 or slope 4 or slope pairs 3 and 6. Slope 4 means adding one block per material. Slopes 1 or 2 or 4 means adding potentially 2 blocks per material. Slope pairs 3 and 6 would mean adding potentially 8 blocks per material. The number of blocks doesn't actually matter much except for extra work. Thanks to what I've picked up from Bioxx that's not as much as I feared. It use to be worse in previous versions.

I don't know what you mean by a "stepped soldier course for roof eaves".

As to brick patterns. The part that takes the longest, at least for me, is the textures. As long as someone else is doing that, Once you've made one block it's almost copy paste. You just got to let me know what shapes it applies to.

The trowel idea isn't bad. I'm not going to worry about how to obtain these blocks outside of the creative tabs until after we have a stone age. In fact I can't test these blocks very well at the moment because TFC2 in it's current state keeps crashing on me. So I won't be adding anything else until the next version change. 

Until then I'll be working on another mod that'll help remove the need to light up every block in an area to prevent mob spawning. I call it apotropaic magic.

1 hour ago, Stroam said:

Until then I'll be working on another mod that'll help remove the need to light up every block in an area to prevent mob spawning. I call it apotropaic magic.

Hey Stroam, what about making this mod behave similar to what we had on the StoneAgeCraft Server?

We made it so mobs would only spawn in the dirt, grass, sand, gravel, and raw stone.

No mobs would spawn over wood, bricks or polished stone.

This mod, when done, would make it so the player base is safe from mobs, as long as the player create barriers that prevent mobs from entering, like tall walls and fences.  

It would also make it possible for players to create structures with ambience lighting without worrying about creepers spawning in there.

2 hours ago, Stroam said:

Stepped roofing - What sort of stepped are you talking about?

I was just meaning a 2-step block, just like vanilla stairs (IV in your graphic).  It's just always irked me that that even in TFC1, thatch was a solid block, and you couldn't even chisel it, despite that it's most appropriate use was for roofs.  I think the 2-step model is fine considering the general blocky nature of the world.  I've never been a fan of those mods that put a slanted plane in place of steps.    The finer-grained slopes you show would just I think be a lot more polys at not that much benefit.  And pattern IV already exists, so should be much less work for you I'd imagine.

Here is a good depiction of some standard brick layouts:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f9/9d/e2/f99de25ec99da96c08529ac39cf6d972.jpg

Of course the limitations of 16x16 graphics means anything diagonal is probably out - though I might give it a shot.  Various others don't really lend themselves due to not being square in pattern.  And anything 'stacked' is relatively modern.  But the basics mentioned above are in there.

Soldier coursing is when your orient the bricks vertically, and is typically done above windows (as a lintel), or for steps (sleepers - soldiers laying down).

Image result for soldier course lintel

I should say though, that flat brick lintels are a relatively modern thing, as they rely on a steel angle to support the brick.  "back in the day" a brick lintel would have used a full or jack arch to give it it's own strength, without steel:
Image result for soldier course lintel
Of course it would be impractical to try to do jack arches in minecraft.

Brick soldier courses can also be used within a wall to add interest:
Image result for brick soldier course
And then you can do corbeling to add even more interest:
Image result for brick corbelingImage result for corbel soldier  course
IRL corbeling is mostly done with horizontal coursing because the bricks have to extend into the wall as well in order to be tied in with the wall, but within the context of using a 2-step model and not being strictly constrained by physics, I thought soldiers would be more visually impactful.  One could actually do a 3-step sleeper corbel model if they wanted, which would be similar to the left graphic above.  There's a huge, huge variety of sort of applique brick details one could do if one were ambitious enough. 

It could get pretty wild, if there were several colors of brick.  Do a google search for "polychrome brickwork" and you can see some of the amazing stuff that's done with multi-color brick patterns.  The basics are red, black, and sort of off-white/tan.  Most of what one finds on the internet can't really be reproduced effectively in minecraft I think, but some could.

Brick and half-timbering go really well together, btw

Image result for half timber and brickImage result for half timber and brick
Related image
Related image

12 hours ago, TonyLiberatto said:

Hey Stroam, what about making this mod behave similar to what we had on the StoneAgeCraft Server?

I've got something else in mind, but more on that when I've got the main mechanic working.

11 hours ago, Darmo said:

Here is a good depiction of some standard brick layouts:

That does help quite a bit. If you want to give me a sheet of textures I can turn them into blocks. For reference:

XlMBFYU.png

This contains 4 potential future textures. Bronze encased aetherium, clay roof shingles top right, bricks bottom left, thatch roof bottom right. Each texture probably took up to three plus hours each. I've been sticking to 16x16 textures because that's what TFC uses, but 32x32 is also alright if you really need that extra detail. 

On 6/23/2017 at 8:33 PM, Stroam said:

This contains 4 potential future textures.

For some reason if I try to download that I get a corrupted version.  Also have you tried that brick one in a tiled setting?  I'd be concerned that the dark bricks may establish too repetitive and obvious of a pattern...

3 hours ago, Darmo said:

For some reason if I try to download that I get a corrupted version.  Also have you tried that brick one in a tiled setting?  I'd be concerned that the dark bricks may establish too repetitive and obvious of a pattern...

I just downloaded the picture (Right click, save as) and it worked fine for me. I open it in MSpaint or my favorite, paint.net. That brick tile goes on a block with 5 other slightly different textures and it randomly rotates the block each time each so it doesn't form a pattern when you make a wall out of it. 

Quite interested to see how far this goes. Ill be watching the progress amd grabbing releases as they come out. Hopefully Bioxx likes a few things put here and makes thsm vanilla TFC2 stuff. :3

Ok, I've made a few basic tiles:  BrickBasket01.pngBrickBasket02.pngBrickBondDarkLeft.pngBrickBondDarkRight.pngBrickHerring.pngBrickSoldier.png

They are basket weave 1 and 2, dark bond left, dark bond right, herring, and soldier.  I think they're pretty versatile, as seen in the below image.  The soldiers as half slabs make good window sills and lintels, or on a stair block, good stairs or corbels. 

BrickWall01.png

Herringbone and basket are mostly paving patterns, but you can sometimes find herringbone patterns in old structures, as infill.  IRL it's normally diagonal with relation to the framing, simply because it looks better that way.  The one on the right also has some basket weave.  Basket weave and Herringbone irl are not structurally strong, so they're ok infilling around structure like this, but you wouldn't have built an entire wall out of these patterns, back in the day. 

Herring28018b.jpgHerring--dormer-windows-bay-windows.jpg

Here are I used only the left and right dark bond patterns to make 3 different larger wall patterns:

BondPatterns.png

Due to our small tile size and even brick layout per tile, we'd probably be limited mostly to left and right diagonals, and then horizontal stripes, at least within standard running bond pattern.  Which is a lot of tiles to make anyway, even for just a couple bond colors.   Other bond patterns would bring other possibilities.