Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Arktic

TFC1 1.12+ port

150 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Isgolo said:

One question: what programming language do you need to do something like this? because im new to this community but i'd love to help you on this project.

All Hes Doing Is Porting It, Hes Not Modifying It And Is Just Rereleasing It

On 28/9/2017 at 5:46 PM, UnlimatedStone9 said:

All Hes Doing Is Porting It, Hes Not Modifying It And Is Just Rereleasing It

that doesn't anwer my question, if I want to help him port this mod, what programming language you need to know?

You need to be a very experienced Java programer.

On ‎30‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, Isgolo said:

that doesn't anwer my question, if I want to help him port this mod, what programming language you need to know?

I'm Saying There Is Nothing To Help With, Because All He Is Doing Is Porting It And That's The WHOLE Job, ONE Thing

3 hours ago, UnlimatedStone9 said:

I'm Saying There Is Nothing To Help With, Because All He Is Doing Is Porting It And That's The WHOLE Job, ONE Thing

Actually, porting a mod is quite a bit of work

Even more so if you want to port over 5 major versions.

1.7 and 1.8 change quite a bit of stuff regarding the block rendering.

1.9 is quite the jump with the addition of the dualwielding system and the overhaul of combat.

He Has Already Made The 1.9 Port As You Know And Difficulty Can Be Fairly Irrelevant As It Would Be More Of A One Person Job

Any chance we could get a progress update? Like, how the port is going and what's left to do? I don't mean to be pushy, but I'm sure myself and many others are eager to get our hands on this. 

Ikr, Its Driving Me Mad! He Said Days, Its Been Weeks!

I suggest patience. From what I've read about the changes, some features of TFC will be extremely hard (or even impossible) to port. Give it some time.

I Know Its Just When He Said A Couple Of Days For A Port To Be Released It Had Been Months Since

Just hope it is not like this: 

The way the guy talked it was like the addon would be ready in 3 days.

I think sometimes people do not have a clear view of what the whole process takes.

I am not a coder myself, although I have some experience with scripting. As much as I understand to port TFC from 1.7.10 to 1.12 is a massive project, you would need to create a new code and the only thing you would use are the ideas and mechanics from the old code.      

I actually really hope to be proven wrong, but I will believe when I can download a working version. I actually would be very happy with a 1.9 version.

It has been only a couple of weeks, so who knows. Maybe he will log in and post the link. One can only hope.

Yeah ... And millenaire is really complex. One of the most complex mod i know with TFC.

Have do many bug hunting for Cedric long time ago.

If you'd like something to happen faster, by all means, step up to the plate and code it yourself. As Tony pointed out it is a massive undertaking. Each small code segment would need to be ported separately or you'd end up performing shotgun surgery. Also unless you are very familiar with making mods for minecraft and TFC code, it'd almost be easier starting from scratch. At that point, you'd have to ask yourself do you want to spend all that time and effort recreating something that already exists or want something new and fresh to put your name on. My personal philosophy is I live for the new and don't wish I had last seasons flowers this year as well, for the beauty of a rose is that it is fleeting. There is no sight I could be perfectly content with staring at forever and no sound I could listen to for eternity.

I think it has to do with youthful enthusiasm.

We see it all the time in the servers section. 

People create new topics talking about the server they will soon be hosting. 90% of the time they have no idea how much work is involved. 

To administer a successful server means to spend more time managing the server than actually playing the game.

It's just a guess, but I believe Bioxx spent a lot more time coding TFC than playing it.

18 minutes ago, LightningShock said:

Last update was on 18 sept.
But I don't think that's a reason to consider it dead. yet.

And if it is dead, someone else can continue instead.
https://github.com/djarktic/TFCraft/network

I think you forgot the '/s' at the end of your comment. There is zero in that repo that even smells like a port.

11 minutes ago, AnodeCathode said:

I think you forgot the '/s' at the end of your comment. There is zero in that repo that even smells like a port.

Wait what?

3 minutes ago, LightningShock said:

Wait what?

3 commits made on the day that the repo was forked from Bioxx's. All 3 are just fiddling faffing about. Nothing in that repo, or in any of the repositories gives me the warm fuzzy feeling that this person has any concept of the amount of work required to port TFC to 1.8+. I suspect that he may not have been entirely telling the truth about his progress. I think he was describing his dream.

Sketch.png

5 minutes ago, AnodeCathode said:

3 commits made on the day that the repo was forked from Bioxx's. All 3 are just fiddling faffing about. Nothing in that repo, or in any of the repositories gives me the warm fuzzy feeling that this person has any concept of the amount of work required to port TFC to 1.8+. I suspect that he may not have been entirely telling the truth about his progress. I think he was describing his dream.

Sketch.png

I got that part. I can at least "smell" what a java code does(C++/C# guy) and now that I see it, yeah, I do agree with you. I was asking about the '/s' part.

Sorry for off-topic.

Edited by LightningShock

Don't get us wrong, I would love to be proven wrong. If we had an updated version of TFC the community would renew like in a renascence. There is just so many possibilities, features, and mods that would be made available to the player.

Is just that, when I look at the github, the first thing that calls my attention is the fact that there are no new posts since September 18.

Piece and love.

23 minutes ago, LightningShock said:

I got that part. I can at least "smell" what a java code does(C++/C# guy) and now that I see it, yeah, I do agree with you. I was asking about the '/s' part.

Sorry for off-topic.

Ah. Sorry. In some environments, it's a shorthand for end sarcasm, based on tags like /html. When I originally read your post I assumed you were joking when I looked at the repo. Forked Sept18, 3 unimportant commits and then nothing. I thought you were having a laugh.

1 hour ago, TonyLiberatto said:

Don't get us wrong, I would love to be proven wrong. If we had an updated version of TFC the community would renew like in a renascence. There is just so many possibilities, features, and mods that would be made available to the player.

Is just that, when I look at the github, the first thing that calls my attention is the fact that there are no new posts since September 18.

Piece and love.

I agree. But tbh I think it's more feasible to start a new mod from scratch instead of porting this one. I think TerraFirmaCraft has way more compatibility issues that it should have. Like, why we need freshwater as a separate fluid from vanilla water? How biomes o' plenty generation managed to be friendly with other mods while TFC didn't? I am not trying to throw tomatoes at the devs as the mod is still great but I think TFC could have been implemented in a better fashion.

54 minutes ago, AnodeCathode said:

Ah. Sorry. In some environments, it's a shorthand for end sarcasm, based on tags like /html. When I originally read your post I assumed you were joking when I looked at the repo. Forked Sept18, 3 unimportant commits and then nothing. I thought you were having a laugh.

Actually yes I did check that code long ago but as I am no expert in both Java and Github so I've tough I was missing something but now that you brough it up as well I can safely say that I didn't. I was not trying to troll. Trolling on forums is not fun, trolling in-game and irl is.

Edited by LightningShock

I think TerraFirmaCraft has way more compatibility issues that it should have. Like, why we need freshwater as a separate fluid from vanilla water?

Sorry, but its logic in reallity, you absolutely cant drink sea water ... Its salty. An you can only find fresh water in specific places like stream and pound or big lakes ... Its obvious for me and many people.

If you want to correct the fresh water blocs on shore of some sea and ocean okay ... But changing the gameplay mecanics, no way.

5 hours ago, MonyClair said:

Sorry, but its logic in reallity, you absolutely cant drink sea water ... Its salty. An you can only find fresh water in specific places like stream and pound or big lakes ... Its obvious for me and many people.

If you want to correct the fresh water blocs on shore of some sea and ocean okay ... But changing the gameplay mecanics, no way.

Salt water is another story. It's a separate block and not directly linked to fresh water. As you have salt water in oceans and fresh water in lakes, we could have salt water in oceans and vanilla water in lakes(just retextured, still the same block in code)

I had doubts from the start, but after reading all the topic I lost all hope. I really love TFC1 and dont like the way TFC2 is going. My main issue with TFC2 is that it doesnt allow much mod compatibility and I am someone who can not go back to minecraft unless I use at least 50 mods at once.