Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Arktic

TFC1 1.12+ port

150 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, LightningShock said:

I think you should wait to see where this is going first. Vintage story doesn't have modding possibilities.

it does. they have a forum section dedicated to it. they have some mods that look neat too.

This However Is Not Where You Advertise A Game, Weather It Be Yours Or Not

1 hour ago, Mathias Ademar said:

it does. they have a forum section dedicated to it. they have some mods that look neat too.

3 hours ago, UnlimatedStone9 said:

Not Where You Advertise A Game

not mine and wasnt really advertising. i was simply pointing out my indecision to play 2 very similar things. if you read into it more than that, then i suppose your response couldnt be helped

Yeah I Havent Actually Been On Much, I Know The Main Post Wasn't Yours But It Still Being Discussed Like Its Been Advertised

Anyone hear anything of late? For this port or TFC2? the forum feels so stale...

2 minutes ago, TemporalAnomaly said:

Anyone hear anything of late? For this port or TFC2? the forum feels so stale...

I've got nothing on TFC2 - Last commit was on June 12th 2017.

Dries 1.12.2 port seems to be going strong - but it will never be as fast as we desire, as coding is not instantaneous. :( Even when he opens it up for others to contribute, it'll still take time, as TFC is a huge mod. Alas, the github repo is still private, but there IS action there. I'm sure he'll post an update here eventually ;)

There have been no updates/teasers as of late because it's now officially Deadline/Exam season (will last till end June).

Most of the work that did get done since last update has been on various internal systems, some overal setup work (making a GitHub org etc), and some items and misc blocks. Pottery and tools work, metals are all added, with the range of metal items.

In the meantime I have had talks with Bioxx, about licenses & permission (the reason the repo is still private) and about the name.
The forum will likely get a separate section for this port (and future versions) because it's easier to work from.

On 5/4/2018 at 11:44 PM, Dries007 said:

it's now officially Deadline/Exam season

Best of luck dude. Thank you for everything you're doing. It means so much to see a glimmer of hope for this mod and the community. If there's anything you need help with at any point, just say so. 

Good luck qith your exams Dries!, Thanks for the work your doing so far

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:44 AM, Dries007 said:

There have been no updates/teasers as of late because it's now officially Deadline/Exam season (will last till end June).

Most of the work that did get done since last update has been on various internal systems, some overal setup work (making a GitHub org etc), and some items and misc blocks. Pottery and tools work, metals are all added, with the range of metal items.

In the meantime I have had talks with Bioxx, about licenses & permission (the reason the repo is still private) and about the name.
The forum will likely get a separate section for this port (and future versions) because it's easier to work from.

In other news: I'm now an administrator, Bunsan will be an additional moderator!

Bioxx has officially approved of our use of the EUPL license, so the project will be made open source ASAP.

Awesome! Congrats on the promotion and the promising start of this project :)

Congratulations! I really though for a while that TFC and the forums would be forgotten. 

I look forward to the first public beta version.

On 17.05.2018 at 9:30 PM, Dries007 said:

In other news: I'm now an administrator, Bunsan will be an additional moderator!

Bioxx has officially approved of our use of the EUPL license, so the project will be made open source ASAP.

Nice XD. Will you setup a Discord server to help with development?

Seeing your port makes me as excited about TFC again as 1.13 makes me about MC again, but I am much more impressed by the interest and effort in making this port possible. I wish I could contribute, but my (very basic) Java has been rusty as hell so the best I could do is suggest some ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress. I also hope there'll be a version for 1.13—the update I've been waiting (and hoping) for since Alpha. I reckon it would be a ton of work so I understand if it will never happen, but a TFC1-esque Update Aquatic would be interesting to see.

Edited by atheoang3l0

10 minutes ago, atheoang3l0 said:

Seeing your port makes me as excited about TFC again as 1.13 makes me about MC again, but I am much more impressed by the interest and effort in making this port possible. I wish I could contribute, but my (very basic) Java has been rusty as hell so the best I could do is suggest some ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress. I also hope there'll be a version for 1.13—the update I've been waiting (and hoping) for since Alpha. I reckon it would be a ton of work so I understand if it will never happen, but a TFC1-esque Update Aquatic would be interesting to see.

porting from 1.12 to 1.13 will be a much much easier task

well this is great news :P i wonder how making it open source will impact the game. even if only a few people join in on the coding progress is going to go by a whole lot quicker than it has ever gone. this is going to be a fun ride 

also congratz on becoming a mod :D

Yes, I'll try to keep up with Forge where possible, but it looks like 1.13 will be another humongous mod killer, due to updates on Forge's side. We won't know the scale of the "damage" until it comes out though, so that's worries for later.

TFC has always been open source (as least as far as I know) but the license is just different now. Before I had permission from Bioxx (who's code I copied) I could not release anything without violating GPL (the old license).

This port has generated more activity on this site than I have seen for a few months.

8 hours ago, atheoang3l0 said:

I'm working on the FAQs to give everyone a good idea of where we are going and how to help. This is actually a point I'm trying to address. Although we are going to be picky with the code as it is critical to keep it clean and consistent as possible, you don't have to be an expert to contribute. I'm a good example of that, I have no formal training in computers or programming. I regularly refer to myself as a hack for good reason, but I still contribute. I tackle coding I can handle, I read a lot of other mods code to get ideas and I follow Dries code style and examples. I then submit it by Pull Request even though I could merge it myself. That means Dries or others can proof my code, fix my code, redo my code or just say nope. I take all of it as learning experience. I've also taken on the role of Community Manager as that is an area I do have a skill set for and allows others with more experience to focus on code.

So the suggestions I have are:

1. Just mess around with the code. It is easy to fork the TFC repository (https://github.com/TerraFirmaCraft/TerraFirmaCraft) and mess around with the code. If it is your fork you can commit partly complete work or experimentation to different branches. I like to do this because then I don't feel the wider community is reading my code and judging. This will help you learn the code base and get a feel for TFC and then new forge stuff. Also the one thing I strongly suggest you get an understanding of this the generateresources.py python script. This is what generates all the blockstate files. Trust me you don't want to have to write each blockstate json file manually.
  2. Mess around in TFC 1.7.10 code. Although we are rewriting a lot of the code it well help you get an idea of how the mechanics are handled in the code.
  3. Find collaborators. Teams working on different sections of the code is the most efficient way for the project to progress. Find others with complementary skills to form a small group. In MC mods there is always some grunt code that isn't easily automated for those of us with less Java knowledge.
  4. Just participate. Even if it is just posting here, chatting on discord etc. A positive, active community does so much to motivate others to help. As the project progresses new ways of helping will come along. Being a known quantity and having built friendships will allow you to help more and more.

@Dries007 How about mobs?  A team of us made quite a few for TFC2, but I'd imagine those models can be just as easily used in this project.  Though I like TFC2 worldgen much more than original (any plans to change that at all?) and still wish it was an active project, I'd rather see those models used somewhere than not at all.

I always felt that a stumbling block was the animation.  Bioxx put together MCMC which made it easy for us to make the models, but it was still up to him to animate them, and so I think that naturally always played second fiddle to the more 'core' aspects.  As I understand it animation consists simply of applying a rotation range, and timeframe in the form of a cosign or something, to a part.  Is there any chance at all that that could be added to MCMC at some point?   This would allow non-coders like myself to figure out the correct numbers to use to look good, and probably save coders a lot of trial and error.

Edited by Darmo

We’ve not made any decisions or really talked about mobs yet. I certainly would like to have the variety planned for TFC2. When we get to that point we can talk to Bioxx and the contributors about it. As for MCMP that is Bioxx’s program so would be up to him. I believe there are other modelling programs available now. 

Worldgen currently is akin to 1.7.10. We will definitely be making some changes to it, but we will not be using a hex system at all. 

i can understand not wanting to use hexes, though i do see the usefulness of something similar to what the hexes did.  you could probably make more natural looking rivers an cliffs by making chunks record the terrain tags and other parameters, no? ive only done an extremely simple mod for adding nether stuffs to the workbench, so im no coder. i might be misunderstanding the ability to implement this idea.