Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
wormzjl

[TFC-0.79.29][ATLauncher] From stone age to the stars, Project Per Fabrica ad Astra

33 posts in this topic

So much more has happened ... and yet progress is still sooo slow. There is just always some item that needs one piece where it turns out that it needs a whole new production line. 

Figured out the small problem with the polymerizer, which was no problem at all. It just needs tiny piles of technical silicon for each batch of polycarbonate plastic. With those sheets, I went ahead and made a Big Diamond Drill. It's fantastic as it mines in a 3x3 area; so much faster. Cave-ins are a problem though, so mining this way requires some careful planning and placement of support beams. Also, as soon as I made the Big Drill, I realized that I needed yet another small one, for breaking machines that don't react to the IC wrench. 

Meanhwile, I am really enjoying the options that the AR machines give. Circuits and advanced circuits are so much cheaper now that I can make them with the Precision assembler. The Electrolyser is great as it makes producing Hydrogen and Oxygen easy. It uses a lot of power, so I need to set up another MFE. For which I will need Lithium, for which I will need Hydrogenchloride ... The last requires chlorine (naturally), which can easily be made in the Electrolyser from saltwater, but production is very slow, only 250mb per batch. Each bucket of HydroCl requires 1000mb chlorine. 

I am also trying to complete all existing quests in the HQM book; one of them is the Electric compressor. It would be really useful to have, as it allows pressure on demand and automatic shutoff above a certain threshold.
This turned out to be another Rube-Goldberg-like goose chase. It requires a single advanced pressure tube, which needs the Pneumaticraft full assembly line set up. I made all the pieces already as they are required for the Precision Assembler, but now I will need to make them again. Should have thought about that and used them to make one or two of these advanced tubes before spending them on the AR PrAssembler. In addition to requiring tons of compressed steel (not a problem, since I have stacks and stacks of iron now) the assembly machines also need printed circuits which require black and cyan plastic sheets, and a large amount of blue pastic sheets for making pistons; 66 altogether. This means that to make the Electric compressor, I will have to run several tanks (16,000mb each) of Naptha/Kerosene or LPG through the refinery setup to get enough ethene and liquid plastic. This requires superheated steam. My setup is complete and working, so the steam is cheap and plentiful, but requires the heaters being connected to the two dedicated CESU with gold cables. I have two pieces in reserve, which I use to connect and disconnect the heaters manually as needed. Now, the superheated steam generates very fast; as long as there is storage room for the steam to go to, everything is fine, but once the drum I am using is filled, explosions happen. Because this pack is TFC-based, explosions do not do any damage to placed blocks (seems the authors of the mod thought it would be too harsh if a single creeper could blow up the results of months of grinding). However, dropped items are destroyed by these otherwise harmless explosions (steam explosions also do not damage the player). So when I was breaking my dedicated gold cable to shut down the heater once my steam drum was full, the explosion destroyed the dropped cable piece. That would normally be a non-event, but it so happened that I had completely run out of rubber, as I had just upgraded the Techborn Industrial Blast Furnace to make it all Reinforced Blocks, This was necessary to be able to process Titanium (2300 degrees), and because inserting lava blocks in the center of the Blast Furnace (as it says in the Techborn wiki) to get an additional 500 degrees doesn't seem to work in this pack. So upgrading the Blast Furnace required tons of circuits, which required cable, which required rubber. 
I could run my reserves of Butane through the Refinery setup to get rubber (a fast and high-yielding method), but for that I would also need the superheated steam. So I am back to tapping my Hevea Rubber Tree, waiting for the bowl to fill and the Latex to turn into rubber, so I can make the gold cable .... 

Having solved the rubber crisis -- I also realized that the CESU max output is 128 EU/t, so only regular copper cables are needed -- I wonder what my next priority should be. I noticed that I am running through fuel to burn at a steady pace, so I will either have to burn my reserves of methane -- or go on a new exp[edition to fill up my oil drum. The latter is tedious business, since I have not figured out yet how to built the IE pumpjack. I don't really need the methane anymore, since I can now make hydrogen easily with the AR Electrolyser. It's energy intensive, but also produces Oxygen and can be automated easily. Putting the old way through the refinery setup is also a lengthy process that requires constant switching disconnecting, and reconnecting of pipes and containers. (There is really no way I will figure out an automated setup for refining that can work for all the different fluids at once,.) but even if I burn my two or three tanks of methane (we are talking 16K Magneticraft fluid tanks, which I use for everything), I will sooner or later run out. Thus I resolved to get started with IC nuclear power. Luckily, I already found a source of pitchblende; using the Big Drill made it much easier digging through mountains of granite (the only layer where pitchblende spawns). Making the reactor and other required blocks requires a lot of resources, all of which I have, except lead. There is a lead mine 140m from my main base, where I already found the ore cluster; I need to set up a drill, power line, and rail link to get the led I need. 

In the meantime, I am thinking of making another MFE. The steam turbine seems to generate more power when temperature is high, and my current mfe is hovering near full, with several machines running. If I make more energy storage, it presumable will draw down the steam from the boiler quicker, I think, but I'm not sure if this also affects fuel consumption. Currently, the temperature of the boiler only seems to be affected by fuel consumed and time spent.  In any case, I'd rather store the energy in the form of readily available EU than in the form of steam. 

I am not so sure how the nuclear setup works. It says in the various guides that using a heat exchanger/steam heater is more efficient than using EU straight from the reactor. But the regular steam generated from my setup for the superheated steam (it generetes reguilar steam below 375 degrees and superheated steam above that temperature) seems not to be accepted by the steam turbine. Do I need the IC kinetic generator? 

Hi Saupaolo13 - Im following along with you! I just started the pack and am currently working through stock TFC. 

Keep up the blog! Ill be using it for help. 

Have you thought about making a document?

Hi Viper, thanks for following! Making a doc is a great idea, perhaps I'll give it a try when I have time -- haven't kept up with diary entries in a while

On 4/15/2019 at 5:20 PM, Viper said:

Hi Saupaolo13 - Im following along with you! I just started the pack and am currently working through stock TFC. 

Keep up the blog! Ill be using it for help. 

Have you thought about making a document?

speaking of keeping up with entries, again so much has happened in playing, it will be hard to describe it all. 

First, I finally got the pitchblende and processed it to some usable uranium. I build a minimum reactor, after fiddling with the reactor simulator, which yielded 40 EU/t. This would have been 80 EU/t, but in EU mode, reactor output is reduced to half. 40 EU/t is not enough to keep my base going -- which basically means running mining drills for coal, the occasional mining for ore, ore processing, and generating the many various fluids with the IHL machines (chem reactor and the fluidized bed reactor), and occasionally running the AR machines.  Thus my dream of switching from oil/creosote liquid-fuel boiler power to nuclear power was a bit premature. My initial reactor setups also all made use of reflectors; these are used up rather quickly (10k seconds instead of 20k), and require tin and copper. After tinkering with the reactor simulator some more, I figured out that the best setup involves just overclocked heat vents and component heat vents. The OHVs take 36 heat from the reactor hull and remove 20 heat by themselves, leaving 16 heat that need to be removed otherwise; the CHVs remove 4 heat vents from themselves and from neighboring components, so 4 CHVs around each OHV works out exactly. Arranging them in a checkerboard pattern works, even though I was wondering if that means that some CHVs are doing double duty. But nothing is blowing up, so it works. With this knowledge, I designed a reactor setup with 4 quad elements (16 fuel rods), of which 2 are placed side by side to squeeze out some extra ticks. This yields 280 EU/t, which are again only 140 EU/t effectively. With the AR machines able to cheaply produce heat vents (the basic ingredient in making more advanced components), getting the materials was not so difficult. But even though I got the larger reactor up and running, it's still not enough to power the base; eventually I will have to switch to a fluid reactor setup, which requires housing (lots of lead) and a system for producing power from heat via steam. Looking up some tutorials online, it looks doable, but will have to wait for a bit longer. 

So in the meantime I went back to getting more oil; my first two runs to filling a drum (256k) were all done with manual labor, drenching the wells bucket by bucket, which required digging down by hand, a lot of work. I too late discovered that the IC miner in connection with an IC pump placed next to it can do all this work by itself. It just needs enough mining pipe, and a fluid ejector upgrade to move the oil into a drum placed next to the pump. (More upgrades work wonders in speeding up the process). Quickly gathering enough oil, I was able to get tons and tons of more gasoline and the various gases. 

Most crucially, I also finally realized that I had been running my two boilers (one liquid and one solid, intermittently) with a 2x2 setup, which never generated enough steam to maximize the output from the turbine. As soon as I upgraded the liquid fuelbox to 3x3 and added the high pressure boilers on top, my turbine started reaching 100% efficiency, meaning 200 EU/t output. My MSEU was finally filling up to the brim. 

(When upgrading the fuelboxes and adding more boilers, temperature resets to zero. Getting a large boiler to 100 degrees takes a long time, and a lot of fuel. While running the fuel box on gasoline, I had been collecting the creosote oil from my two coke ovens in a drum; it took almost half ~128k to get the boiler hot.) 

I also started to produce chlorine in high volume. It is one of those liquids that produce slowly from saltwater and are expensive in terms of energy; it is used in the production of rocket fuel antecedents. After running one or two 16K tanks of saltwater through the AR electrolyser and getting only a few buckets of chlorine, I filled up a drum of saltwater at the sea shore, using a pump. Splitting saltwater also produces tons of sodium hydroxide solution, which is needed for aluminum processing and also for one of the precursors for rocket fuel. The AR electrolyser needs a lot of power -- so much that it shut down parts of my base that were connected in  series to it -- thankfully, I had neough stored up, thanks to my newly upgraded boiler. 

After that, while the drum of saltwater was slowly processing into chlorine and sodium hydroxide solution, I made some ammonium -- nitrogen and hydrogen -- needed for the next step of rocket fuel production. After much running back and forth, also processing the various intermediate petrochemical products in between, building one more IHL FBR to be able to process more ammonium, making co2 to make methanol, the chlorine was ready, 2 16k tanks of it (out of 256k saltwater!) There were 4 more steps combining the various precursors, to [forgotten how to spell that], then chloramine, then hydrazine and dimethylhydrazine, all VERY slow in production, to finally the first bucket of rocket fuel!. 

Rocket fuel! Space is near! ... but a lot more to do. 

Is there supposed to be a quest book in this pack? I don't think mine is enabled and I feel I'm gone to far to start with it, but on the other hand I feel being nudged in the right direction could help me progress faster as I could be using inproper generators and pipes.

At waterwheel/windmill era trying to get some steam power working but having trouble getting more power from it than the passive generation.

Would it be worth it?

There is a quest book. The pack is made for multiplayer where these can be given by the server, but you can still craft one in singleplayer.  2 lumber, 4 stones and 3 thatch. The recipe is in NEI. There is also an in game wiki available, if you chose that option on install.

The latter looks like something Id expect to see here, with all the light noise created from the cities and other lightsources around here...

At the middle of the sea, there is far less light reflected by the atmosphere to drown the stars out.

Then again, I can not remember how mid-sea deep night starlight looks.

I guess that for the dawn the first may have too bright stars, but how does the latter end up looking in the night?