Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jed1314

Fortification

13 posts in this topic

SUGGESTION ALTERED - Posts relevant to this alteration begin at #12

As per PlatoonSgt's suggestion, I am ammending this thread to reflect a far better solution to this problem, which serves more of a purpose in the game outside of castle building.

You could make it, that if a block has a certain type of block above it, probably cobble, bricks and chiseled stone, it becomes harder to mine. The more blocks of that type touching above it, in a pillar, the harder it would become to mine or remove (explosives), and this could be repeated to make a wall. A player with a pick wouldn't be able to break any blocks that he can reach in a feasible amount of time (assuming the wall is tall enough), while a siege engine could throw a rock at the higher, weaker stuff.

Raw stone won't be affected by this, but might count towards the stack of other blocks. It may also function downwards, so you can't build your fortified wall on top of dirt, you have to remove the dirt to build the wall on top of the raw stone.

This will also have implications for events such as cave ins, as it will become much harder to mine out of them from the bottom of the rock pile, a realistic change, as it goes some way to simulate the conical nature of cave in plies, meaning it is far easier to escape through the vertically highest point of the aforementioned cave in.

Suggestions/Improvements/Condemnations welcome !

Fine idea but I think things like that will be so low on the TFC list of "things to come" that if you spit you wont hear the sound of it.

No offense mate :)

I'll refer to some more recommended reading, inserting metallic, or harder objects into your building materials of choice, either by pile it in with the cobblestones, or inlaying, inserting, or putting metals or ores into the seams of your masonry.

Other than that I recall something about persistent block damage [pretty much, hit block, it keeps the cracks, and gradually heals on its own, faster if you use some form of spackle on it].

Maybe you could have something that incorporated the above into your suggestion, say, using spackle, and reinforcements changes how the blocks take damage, and increase their durability greatly.

You get walls that are harder to fall by a pick flailer, but they can take them down after prolonged force, explosives, or use of siege weaponry.

You could make it, that if a block has a certain type of block above it, probably cobble, bricks and chiseled stone, it becomes harder to mine. The more blocks of that type touching above it, in a pillar, the harder it would become to mine or remove (explosives), and this could be repeated to make a wall. A player with a pick wouldn't be able to break any blocks that he can reach in a feasible amount of time (assuming the wall is tall enough), while a siege engine could throw a rock at the higher, weaker stuff.

Raw stone won't be effected by this, but might count towards the stack of other blocks. It may also function downwards, so you can't build your fortified wall on top of dirt, you have to remove the dirt to build the wall on top of the raw stone.

Something mentioned a while back on another forum was the ability to inlay patterns in the walls out of certain materials (for instance, a hollow diamond made out of iron blocks) that could reinforce the wall and make it more resistant to conventional destruction with a pickaxe. The added resilience would be based on what was used to create the pattern (Dirt? Why bother reinforce your wall. Red steel? Impenetrable* Fortress) Special siege weaponry could be used to destroy reinforced blocks.

Until the possible changes to construction with things like mortar, nals, and the sort, this would be the only way I could think of to build reinforcement into structures.

*Unless the griefers have a trebuchet

I would love to have a trebuchet throwing rocks! *-*

Try digging through a 3 layer thick, 32 block high wall with gravity cobble. You're not getting through that unless they leave their wall unguarded all day.

Raw stone won't be effected by this, but might count towards the stack of other blocks. It may also function downwards, so you can't build your fortified wall on top of dirt, you have to remove the dirt to build the wall on top of the raw stone.

This would have to be the best idea I've seen on this thread. That would be how I would have it work. Its simple and effective.

I'd like the more advanced measure for later, or midgame.

Fine idea but I think things like that will be so low on the TFC list of "things to come" that if you spit you wont hear the sound of it.

No offense mate :)

No offense taken mate, I'm not the touchy sort and you're definitely right. To be honest suggestions like this are heavily geared towards one specific play style, not a hugely popular one at that, so I'd rather see other elements of the game developed to their full potential than this :)

Platoon Sgt: That actually sounds really interesting and would add a whole new dimension of "you're screwed" to cave ins as well +1 to your suggestion !

And would add a whole new dimension of "you're screwed" to cave ins as well!

My thoughts exactly :D

Ok, I'm editing my original suggestion to match yours, so that the direction is abundantly clear from the opening of the topic. I will give you credit of course ;)

I think that this would now be bumped up a bit in the things to do list if it was ever on there. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0