Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
chukleberryfinn

Herbology/Pharmacology/Medicine

2 posts in this topic

This topic had been danced around but I think my idea is unique enough to deserve a separate thread. 

I would love to see some form of agriculture that is focused on healing. In the past, healing has happened passively. I think it would be neat to implement a skill tree for alchemy or whatever you want to call it. Where you make potions or tinctures or just healing poultices or whatever it may be.

This would be a more active form of healing. If the 1000 hp system is maintained, maybe each dose or application of healing would be a certain percent or fixed amount (50-200 or so). Nothing overpowered, but something that would speed up the healing process. 

Basic healing might include bandages, fungi for antibacterial, moving towards more refined items such as the potions and tinctures and things. 

This system could include the broken leg idea and such. 

In order for it to be fun, I think a large amount of herbs would need to be farmed in order to produce really effective medicine. Refining stations to use the herbs and agricultural products. Higher skill levels could produce more bandages per recipe or more doses per vial etc. 

You could even implement coop medicine like blood infusion to recover large amounts of hp (high use time like mining obsidian and only use on another player). 

This could enrich servers and multiplayer worlds by letting players focus on different skill trees to support the group. 

Thanks for reading.

I think that having more healing options than just waiting it out or jumping in an hotspring would be nice, especially because in TFC 2 players will have to fight monsters if they want to progress. I don't think however that LARGE quantities of mundane items would be needed to make high end medicine, I think that one would need more "exotic" ingredients for that, either magical (i dunno, troll blood) or more grounded and realistic (penicillin, as an example, is a kind of mould).

Being my usual me that can't shut up and fells the need to throw his opinions and ideas in the face of everybody else, I have a more specific suggestion.

I think that the player (and maybe the mobs) should have a general health bar (the default health bar visible on the hotbar) to give him/her a quick overview of his status but that health should be split between different body parts. So, on 2000 total health you would have:

Head - 200 health. Destroying the head would mean death for the player and most mobs. If the head is destroyed with a bladed weapon. it could also sometimes drop as an item (like vanilla zombie heads and skulls, not gory).
    Torso - 600 health. Destroying the torso would mean death for the player and most mobs.
    Left Arm - 300 health. Destroying the left arm would make the player unable to use his/her offhand and any two-handed weapon. Destroying both would make the player take a small amount of damage (50 health) when attacking, but he/she would still be able to open doors and use items without penalties.
    Right Arm - 300 health Destroying the right arm would make the player switch to their other arm, disabling the offhand (the player would be using it as a mainhand) and making the player a bit slower in his/her attacks. Also, he/she wouldn't be able to use two-handers. A high enough skill in fighting (more on that later) would disable the speed penalty from using his/her left arm. Destroying both would make the player take a small amount of damage (50 health) when attacking, but he/she would still be able to open doors and use items without penalties.
    Left Leg - 300 health. Destroying a leg would make the player slower. Destroying both would make him/her reaaaally slow (or immobile, if you really want to be hard on him/her)
    Right Leg - 300 health. Destroying a leg would make the player slower. Destroying both would make him crawl reaaaally slow (or immobile, if you really want to be hard on him/her; in that case I suggest adding some sort of crutch that can make a de-legged player   walk)

Destroyed limbs wouldn't have gory effects (even though I'd really like to see limbs fly off in the heat of combat...) so they wouldn't be disgusting, at most they could hang limp behind the player instead of being stiff. Or maybe they would just disappear from the model.

The health of these different body parts would be visible in an inventory tab. This inventory tab would have the player's total health bar on the top, and then a silhouette of the player, with each different part being evidenced. At first, the player would be able to see only rough estimates of the health of each part: broken (self explanatory), hurt (10% to 70%), fine (70% to 100%). At high levels of medical skill the player would have more detailed information (broken, nearly broken, badly injured, severely injured, moderately injured, lightly injured, fine) and at max level the player would be able to see the exact health of each part. In this screen, the player would also be able to heal specific parts: other than natural regeneration and hot springs, there would be healing ointments and elixirs.

Ointments would work as a zone-specific heal, and would be applied by clicking on the desired part in the health screen, slowly restoring the health of the part on which they are applied. This heal wouldn't be instantaneous, but would make healing decidedly faster, allowing the player to heal in a day (or a couple if he/she was in really bad shape) damage that would take several days only with natural regen and hot springs. Ointments would be of different potency based on the ingredients used and the medical skill of the crafter. Low-level ointments could be crafted with either oil or animal fat mixed with herbs, while high level ointments would require, on top of the old ingredients, pure silver (metallic silver is a natural bactericide) or "exotic" ingredients.

Elixirs would instead act as a "general" heal, healing a certain amount of damage in the whole body. They would overall heal less than an ointment, but would make up for that with their faster heal and the fact that they heal all the body parts at once. They would require spirits (distilled alcohol) and herbs at low levels, while requiring magical ingredients at higher levels. There would also be "buffing" elixirs, which would have benefits but also negative effects if used too much, such as strenght (more damage, chance to knock enemy waaaaay back, chance to break shields- taking too much might make the player take damage with each attack because the muscles are too big and rip the skin with each movement), agility (better parrying, more critical hits- taking too much might make the player weak), and speed (walking and attack speed- taking too much might make the player nauseous and/or blind).  They could also be drinked directly. without opening the health screen.

Splints could be crafted with sticks (trash tier), planks and cloth (medium tier), metal rods and cloth (high tier). They would speed up the recovery of broken limbs and act as a "mock-limb", letting the player act as if that limb was not destroyed. They could be applied in the health screen and the recovery speed bonus would be influenced by the player's "medical" skill

A doctor's bag would require a knife, some cloth and some leather (for the bag). It would allow the player to open another player's health screen and thus heal them directly, making players with a high medical skill useful for

A transfusion kit would allow the player to "transfer" health from one player to another. reducing the health of the player using the kit and increasing the health of the player on the receiving end. There would be, however, a slight loss in the amount of health transferred, something like a 10% of the health total. This loss would be reduced by the medical skill, up to the point where a master in the medical skill would have no loss,. It would be crafted with two metal needles and something to act as tubing. Transfusing blood health would be a slow process, taking about a full minute to transfer 500 health. If either of the players take damage during this process, the process is interrupted and the players take some extra 100 points of damage.

So, I mentioned two new skills, the "medical" skill and the "fighting" skill.

The medical skill is raised by actively healing damage in the health screen with ointments and splints ,crafting ointments and elixirs and using the doctor's bag and transfusion kit. A higher medical skill would reveal more information on the health tab and would make the ointments and elixirs made by the player more effective.
    The fighting skill would make the player able to hold up his/her shield for longer and suffer more damage before having his guard broken, have a larger parry window and recover more quickly from a failed parry, make more critical hits, reload a crossbow more quickly, draw a bow faster and refill his attack meter in less time.