Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to TerraFirmaCraft Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

• Announcements

• Dries007

ATTENTION Forum Database Breach   03/04/2019

There has been a breach of our database. Please make sure you change your password (use a password manager, like Lastpass).
      If you used this password anywhere else, change that too! The passwords themselves are stored hashed, but may old accounts still had old, insecure (by today's standards) hashes from back when they where created. This means they can be "cracked" more easily. Other leaked information includes: email, IP, account name.
      I'm trying my best to find out more and keep everyone up to date. Discord (http://invite.gg/TerraFirmaCraft) is the best option for up to date news and questions. I'm sorry for this, but the damage has been done. All I can do is try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    • Claycorp

This forum is now READ ONLY!   01/20/2020

As of this post and forever into the future this forum has been put into READ ONLY MODE. There will be no new posts! A replacement is coming SoonTM . If you wish to stay up-to-date on whats going on or post your content. Please use the Discord or Sub-Reddit until the new forums are running.

Any questions or comments can be directed to Claycorp on either platform.
GooberGabe_

Shield Concept Art and Discussion

31 posts in this topic

How are you looking for things to be formatted? A new topic for textures, or just post in this thread?

On 18/05/2018 at 11:31 PM, GooberGabe_ said:

Shields? You mean, something like this??

Yes. I’ve not looked at the code for it so not sure how the rendering is handled, but I imagine different shapes won’t be an issue. 

10 hours ago, gcook725 said:

How are you looking for things to be formatted? A new topic for textures, or just post in this thread?

You can certainly post them in this thread. We are still getting the forum bits organised. If you use discord feel free to come on our channel and send the files there in the tfc development talk channel. Discord is probably the best medium as it provides an easier back and forth. Just zip up the png files tag it with @bunsan and I can have a look. 

I made this bronze shield based in the colors of the bronze bar already in the mod.

I don't know if it looks good but maybe it could be used as an example. (i'm not good whit metal textures haha)

(i used the @GooberGabe_ shield format too)

large_front.pnglarge_back.png

16p size:

bronze_front.pngbronze_back.png

After seeing your artwork @eagleyes005 I'm just now realizing that different metal types will need to be integrated into the design as well :P I'm not the best at math, but I think that might be a problem, since having varied wood types AND metal types would necessitate 153 variations of the shield texture... I say we should just settle for a generic wood color, then.

Even so, here are some alternative designs I created for Hickory, Chestnut, and Douglas Fir.

sprite_0.png

sprite_1.png

sprite_2.png

sprite_0.png

sprite_1.png

sprite_2.png

Edited by GooberGabe_
Added 16x16 resolutions

I though the same, if you want we can work together in this. I help you and you help me, what do you think?

I'm good working in groups hehe

If you want just add me in Discord: Eagleyes005#0591

We can talk better there about everything :)

The thing with shields is they are models not just textures. So it is a bit more involved that other item sprites. However that also means you don't need to make each shield variation separately as it builds it from components. So one for each wood, one for each metal and then they are combined.

We haven't even approached how we will implement shields and if there will be varieties or not. So I'm very happy to see this and is helpful, but understand that for now it is just concept art. So continue playing with this to give us an idea of what to consider when we get to implementing shields.

In my opinion the game should have custom looks for each shield type, but then a problem appear. How many layers we will need for each shield?

Example:

Steel shield base:

front base.png

Wood layers:

Spruce Plank.pngWhite Cedar Plank.pngSycamore Plank.png... (17 plank layers for THIS shield)

So, imagine if we have another material:

front base.png

It would have another 17 plank layers for THIS shield.

So, if i'm not wrong we will need 9 shield metal bases, and 17 plank layers for EACH shield.

17x9: it is 153 wood layers for all shield (as @GooberGabe_ said before)

(this account doesn't consider the metal layers and wood shield that would be in game)

Finally, i have 3 solutions:

1-

Make every shield use only metal parts, like this one:

large_front.png.cfd9269388a2f482843abf417189b9a6.png

2-

Make some kind of layer system that uses this kind of texture as wood layers for every shield:

Spruce Plank.pngWhite Cedar Plank.pngSycamore Plank.png... (just 17 wood layers)

the problem is that someone would need to create a way to hide the wood in the red region like this:

Spruce Plank 2.png

3-

And the final one, that i think is the best solution, is to add leather or wool cloth to the crafting, soo the copper shield and all the bronze shield types would have only metal parts and the metal tiers shields 3, 4, 5 and 6 would have wool cloth or leather on it, like this:

a.png(texture need improvement)

crafting:

crafting example.png

(you can use any wood plank in the crafting)

:)

Number 2 is how it works. You create a model and then tell it to overlay the plank texture. This is how we do a lot of textures. So likely all that will be needed is a shield model json and the call the wood plank texture and the metal sheet texture. 

That is good, i have some experience whit models btw

I'm just a little in doubt in which tool i should use to make the models?

That was pretty hard to do haha

a.png

The white part of the shild will work like the white part of the MC original shield:

shield_base.png

The only difference is that it will use vertical wooden planks instead of banners.

Edited by eagleyes005

I made this one in Vintage Story Model Creator. Is 10 times easier, but i don't know if the JSON will work in the MC.

2.png

1.png

For modelling tools.

You can try Bioxx's MCMP. Info is on this forum.

MrCrayfish has one as well https://mrcrayfish.com/tools?id=mc  that is free and highly recommended

Cubik Studio is another, but it isn't free. https://cubik.studio

or there is a list on the minecraft wiki that may have some useful programs https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Programs_and_editors/3D_modeling

Black Bronze:

3.png2.png

Bismuth Bronze

5.png4.png

Wrought Iron:

1.png6.png

(texture need improvments)

One suggestion might be for the straps you hold being leather instead of metal. 

Good idea, Plus you could use leather strips in the crafting. Like this one:

crafting.png

16p item:

TFC Leather Strip.png

I made (front) shapes for all shield tiers, not textured or modeled yet. I designed the shields, i didn't really like 16x16 shields that were being designed here (thought, good textures were being made, sorry). I think shields should be bigger than 16x16, like vanilla.

Wooden: Wooden Shield Shape.png 16x32

Copper: Copper Shield Shape.png 16x16

Bronze: Bronze Shield Shape.png 20x20

Bismuth bronze: Bismuth Bronze Shield Shape.png 16x32

Black bronze: Black Bronze Shield Shape.png 16x32

Wrought iron: Wrought Iron Shield Shape.png 16x32

Steel: Steel Shield Shape.png 16x32

Black steel: Black Steel Shield Shape.png 16x32

Blue steel: Blue Steel Shield Shape.png 16x32

Red steel 1: Red Steel Shield Shape.png 20x32

Red steel 2: Red Steel Shield Shape Alternative.png 24x20

Unsure about the red steel. What do you think is better? Are they too fantasy? In any way red steel is designed to go to the left hand so it will have to be mirrored if the player is left handed.

EDIT: Ok this thing is more complicated than I expected. Anyway i want to clarify that these are now not meant as textures or models but just as design ideas. just the shape of the shield.

Edited by Diego il Catanico Jr

We should keep textures multiples of 16x to make models creation easier.

What if we have x16 shields and bigger shields whit different defense levels?

Or it  could be like:

Copper and all bronze types using 16x16.

Iron and all steels using 16x32.

(remeber, this is all concept, not the final idea.)

Ho, yes. I liked this shapes of shields. Can i work whit some of these?

17 minutes ago, eagleyes005 said:

We should keep textures multiples of 16x to make models creation easier.

:(

17 minutes ago, eagleyes005 said:

Ho, yes. I liked this shapes of shields. Can i work whit some of these?

of course yes, they're here for that :)

2 hours ago, eagleyes005 said:

This could work...

Yes. Maybe without the vertical metal stripe in the interior it would be better. Not sure.

I was thinking.. Couldn't we render all the models from the textures like almost minecraft item does and then add the handle or the leather strips, instead of making a separate model for every shield? This would be much easier. We will have flat shields, for it isn't a problem. This way we could also make 2 versions for every shield, one with the handle, one with the leather strips. The first would be faster to draw, the second will reduce knockback more than the first.

15 minutes ago, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

Couldn't we render all the models from the textures like almost minecraft item does and then add the handle or the leather strips, instead of making a separate model for every shield?

I think this is possible, since Spartan Shields mod use this technique.

16 minutes ago, Diego il Catanico Jr said:

This way we could also make 2 versions for every shield, one with the handle, one with the leather strips. The first would be faster to draw, the second will reduce knockback more than the first.

This could work too.